Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Offical Star Wars Site Calls Us Wimps For Not Building A Death Star
After you grow your hair out, I will plait it for you into those sticky buns she wore on the sides of her head. You will however have to pay for your own breast and ass implants.
-
#overlyhonestmethods: How science really gets done
In high school physics, seems like we were forever rolling little steel marbles down ramps and trying to measure something or other about them. Of course it never worked the way it was supposed to. In our writeups we had to explain any source of 'experimental error.' Smartest guy in the class, bored stupid, would always just write: Scum on balls.
-
#overlyhonestmethods: How science really gets done
Scientists take to Twitter to reveal their less than scientific methods Scientists across the world are tweeting about how experiments really get done. Some are brutally honest, most are very funny Weird science … not all scientists are as methodical as you might have expected. Photograph: The Ronald Grant Archive Scientists are a precise bunch. Our experiments are carefully planned down to the last detail, the methods we use are selected with great care and forethought and our sample sizes are perfectly calibrated to ensure statistically valid results. But first our hypotheses are constructed only after carefully reading our peers' work. You can see evidence of this clearly spelled out in any research paper which will invariably present a logical series experiments that lead to a nice clear conclusion all carefully referenced to all the relevant prior-art. So if a reaction was left for 60 minutes there must be a sound scientific reason for this. And of course the equipment we use is carefully built from only the highest quality parts. At least these stereotypes are what we wanted you to believe in. That is until a couple of days ago. Since then, scientists from all four corners of the twitterverse have not just dismantled that pure-of-thought image but demolished it with repeated 140-character salvos all bearing the hashtag #overlyhonestmethods. Most of these tweets are jokes that rail against the stuffy and sometimes unclear way that scientific papers are written, but there is certainly more than a grain of truth in most of them. It all started with a neuropharmacologist researcher and blogger called Leigh when she tweeted "incubation lasted three days because this is how long the undergrad forgot the experiment in the fridge #overlyhonestmethods". It didn't take long for the hashtag to go viral. More tweets along similar lines followed including "…the chemicals were combined & stirred by hand for 2 hours by our project students as they were getting on our nerves" from @Simonleighuk, "The experiment was left for the precise time that it took for us to get a cup of tea" from @mahzabin and my favourite from @sciliz "the eppendorf tubes were 'shaken like a polaroid picture' until that part of the song ended". So maybe those reasons for particular reaction times aren't based on quite so sound scientific reasons after all? What about our equipment and sample sizes? Ecologists @biosciencemum and @bgrassbluecrab had something to say about that: "Our experimental equipment was a paddling pool, a bucket with a hole in, some gaffer tape and three cardboard boxes", and "we didn't test as many clams as oysters because we're pretty sure someone found the samples and ate them". You don't see that appearing in journals now do you? (But maybe you should.) Then there's that nice narrative describing that logical series of steps. Well, guess what: "The logical sequence of experiments and ideas expressed in this paper may not have actually occurred in the order given" from @upulie, and "There was no plan - we just tried stuff we thought would be interesting until something interesting happened" by @russelgarwood. As for those carefully read papers from our peers, well sometimes budget cuts get in the way: "We didn't read half of the papers we cite because they are behind a paywall," wrote @devillesylvain. So what started as a single tweet from a frustrated scientist has ended up becoming one of the most fabulous, frank and funny pieces of science communication I've seen in a long time. Some might worry that these tweets have presented scientists as hapless and undermined confidence in science. But I think they have provided a rare insight into the everyday lives of scientists and demonstrated that we are human like everyone else. Moreover, #overlyhonestmethods has managed to demystify science in a way that no other example of science reporting, blogging or broadcasting can quite manage. Overlyhonestmethods is still going strong. Take a look on Twitter or some selections of the best on storify and io9. • Mark Lorch is a chemist at the University of Hull. He also blogs at www.t2ah.com and www.chemistry-blog.com http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/2013/jan/10/scientists-twitter-methods More examples... http://io9.com/5974256/overlyhonestmethods-is-the-postsecret-of-the-science-world-and-it-is-amazing http://storify.com/BeckiePort/overlyhonestmethods
-
'Duchess of Cambridge Gets an Undertaker's Makeover'
More dreadful royal portraits, with snarky comment... http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2013/jan/11/kate-middleton-best-worst-royal-portraits#/?picture=402244397&index=0 E.g. ... Can someone please reattach my right arm?
-
Would You Have Been A Escort?
If you enjoy bottoming, your hole will open up for just about anything short of the Louisiana Purchase.
-
New Franco film to reimagine S&M scenes rumored cut from 'Cruising'
...so reports Musto: James Franco Reimagines The Controversial Gay Movie Cruising By Michael Musto Fri., Jan. 11 2013 at 10:13 AM Here's Leonard Maltin's description of the 1980 William Friedkin film Cruising, starring Al Pacino. "Cop Pacino goes underground to ferret out bloody killer of homosexuals in this distasteful, badly scripted film. Gay world presented as sick, degrading, and ritualistic. Filmed on authentic N.Y.C. locations." Funny, I always thought it was just the killer who's sick and degrading, while the leather gays were just being themselves and partying. But in any case, the movie caused a righteous controversy and has always been a sore spot for the community--in my case because 40 minutes of gay S&M footage was rumored to be cut from it (to avoid an X rating) and has never been seen! Until now--sort of. The fearless James Franco--who never shies away from gay content--has codirected and costarred in a film coming to the Sundance Festival called Interior. Leather Bar, which reimagines what was in the lost Cruising footage. It's a long way from Planet of the Apes--or is it? http://blogs.villagevoice.com/dailymusto/2013/01/james_franco_re.php
-
Gender Identity- Not What It Used To Be!
Something I once woke up to find posted on the web site of a favorite (straight) watering hole, by the barmaid/owner, reporting on the previous evening... Big handsome construction worker: "AS, I may get drunk enough to go home with you, but I'll be thinking about our barmaid." AS: "Do you think my asshole knows the difference?" (Names changed to protect the guilty. )
-
I love getting my lips all around these Fags!
If memory serves, only Michael Nesmith did.
-
Great One Liners
“Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common.” Dorothy Parker
-
Name 1 Thing New You Learned Today
I very much agree with your first 2 sentences.
-
Jodie Foster's Golden Globe Speech
Meanwhile, a counter-view. Can't quite tell if this is straight up (!) or tongue in cheek (!!) ... http://m.guardiannews.com/film/2013/jan/14/genius-jodie-foster-speech-golden-globes ... which could after all be the writer's point: is he honoring her, or subtly mocking through mimicry?
-
I love getting my lips all around these Fags!
Or any of our various other religions?
-
Great One Liners
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." Oscar Wilde
-
Name 1 Thing New You Learned Today
hito, I do not think you want a husband. I think you yearn for a fellow monk to share your cell in the monastery. OZ and I, meanwhile, would likely be unfaithful to the village priest and the Mother Superior at the same time.
-
Jodie Foster's Golden Globe Speech
Hm. So the speech shows she still can't write. (Viz. my post above.)
-
I love getting my lips all around these Fags!
Comfort ye, on my account at least. I was hooked from age 21 to 32, then quit. Now I somehow can smoke for an evening, then forget about 'em again. No idea how but it is so. Some theory of competing addictions is probably in order.
-
Jodie Foster's Golden Globe Speech
My ignorance: has she ever written a script?
-
I love getting my lips all around these Fags!
The old Balkan Sobranies for me. They were the same cigarette, same gold filter but a black body. (Now they are white, filterless, come in a neat little tin box. But the look was everything.)
-
Glitches . . .
You and David Souter. When he was nominated to the Court, PBS I think did a bio documentary on him. Some former law partners were interviewed; one, recalling Souter's (supposed) conservatism, said they had chosen as Souter's motto something first uttered by the Earl of Cambridge: "Any Change, of any Kind, in any Thing, is to be Deplored."
-
How To Bang A Straight Guy: The BoyToy Guide to Fucking the Guy Next Door
I don't know. My last couple months in NYC I lived with a straight guy, mid-30s, originally from Puerto Rico, who enjoyed my blow jobs and sleeping together. (Actually sleeping, wrapped round each other, tho no sex beyond the foregoing.) Not a hooker; a grunt in the music production biz. Several times he procured fuck buds for me from among his queer friends. He it was who introduced me to No Parking, come to think, a happy hunting ground for pickups, the one time I went there before moving away. And showed me how to live more or less on the streets for a few weeks when that became needful. Think the observations in Lucky's post on gender identity are relevant, and have some applicability in age ranges above those highlighted in that article.
-
Congrats to BiBottomBoy 3,000 POSTS
Don't lean back and get complacent now! (And next time round, get a bf who doesn't mind yer hanging out here!)
-
Jodie Foster's Golden Globe Speech
Good lord. This has the selfsame tone as a rather exquisitely dreadful short story she submitted to an undergrad lit rag I worked on when she was a freshman at Jale. I was so taken by it that I kept a photocopy.
-
Spider-man wannabe, or just f***ing crazy!?!
Eeeeeeeeeek. Vertigo, thou art my middle name.
-
Reorganization of the Forums
How else would you define the role of moderator? Given that, on this board at least, it is not usually defined as 'defenestrator.'
-
Edge of Seventeen
Great question. Hope everyone will chime in with his own answer. My choices might be narrow because of not having seen many of the good and great ones. Like, from your list elsewhere, can't believe I still haven't seen Y Tu Mama, Maurice, Lost Soldier... That said, think my 2 favorites (for now; could change) are the one in the OP above, and 'L.I.E.' 'Happiness' would be close too. (Not necessarily 'greatest,' just personal preferences.)