Everything posted by AdamSmith
-
Sigmund Freud
I think he said much the same thing in published writings. Will rummage and report. Interesting how his offhand and non-condemnatory "arrested development" hypothesis was clutched onto by subsequent of his followers as a diagnosis of pathology, when he clearly was saying the opposite. In this respect, the deciders about the DSM who finally reclassified us are not much in advance of the Church's only 500-years-late pardon of Galileo.
-
Three somewhat obscure movies that you HIGHLY recommend!
You can only imagine my restraint at not having mentioned that name heretofore! ...By golden fortune, a YouTube rendition of the whole shebang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkORumCCZw One worships Price, and feels this morsel of overblown kitsch stands among his finest works.
-
Alabama lucks up and has a shot at a National Championship!
ROFL You are too sweet. I thought I was the one who was drunk those evenings together! Well, what it was, was football. That should explain it. Now, had it been basketball, the one real sport here in NC as anyone knows... (My mama, an N.C. State fan, on that account expressly forbade my even giving thought to applying to UNC. It was as if I had considered converting to Catholicism.)
-
Three somewhat obscure movies that you HIGHLY recommend!
'Dr. Phibes Rises Again.' Over-the-top sequel to stylistically brilliant, already over-the-top 'The Abominable Dr. Phibes' -- lately referenced here in image by our lookin. When I first saw it, I was absolutely entranced that -- spoiler alert! -- the (nominally) Bad Guy GETS AWAY IN THE END. And not just any old 'away' -- closing credits roll over Phibes (Vincent Price) rafting down the River of Life, in its once-every-thousand-years-or-whatever opening up under one of the Pyramids, with his beloved (and formerly deceased) wife Victoria by his side, he the while singing 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' http://en.wikipedia....bes_Rises_Again
-
Three somewhat obscure movies that you HIGHLY recommend!
'The Draughtsman's Contract.' Wherein Peter Greenaway first established his, for my money, mind-blowing style & gorgeously obsessional notions of how film can be. http://en.wikipedia....'s_Contract
-
Three somewhat obscure movies that you HIGHLY recommend!
'Martin,' 1976, written & directed by George Romero. About a young man who is delusional and thinks he is a vampire. Or maybe he is...? Romero claims this is his favorite of all his films, acc to Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia....i/Martin_(film) I had the hots for the actor for a week after first seeing it at age 19.
-
Alabama lucks up and has a shot at a National Championship!
Ditto! General Leslie Groves, the army officer in charge of the bomb project, wanted Oppenheimer to be the scientific director of the program, despite what he would call the "snag" of Oppenheimer's political past. After the war, [Groves] explained why: "He's a genius. A real genius... Why, Oppenheimer knows about everything. He can talk to you about anything you bring up. Well, not exactly. I guess there are a few things he doesn't know about. He doesn't know anything about sports." http://www.pbs.org/w...andeAMEX65.html
-
Oh no, Elmo's maker is in trouble
Yep. TMZ is reporting that the payoff was $125,000. And that the guy was 16 when whatever happened. http://www.tmz.com/2...eldon-stephens/
-
Likes
"... Myyy ... sweet ... Victoria ...!" Talk about a like.
-
Asia- Where Have You Been?
Or NYC's The Web?
-
TV Cancellations today
- You Won The Lotto - Fuck The Family Global Warming Kids Friends Peta ....
Move to Puerto Vallarta!- WWHD? (What will Hillary do?)
I suspect a Clinton would be capable of governing more than effectively from her or his coffin, given a sufficient telephone exchange.- The Story of Morning Wood. . .
Not enough rhinoceros horn in the diet?- Happy Birthday LurkerSpeaks !
This is a problem?! Wait til a few more birthdays hit you...! My best wishes added to the pile.- Unable to log in from iPhone
Indeed it is. I hadn't seen your post, just now tried to log in on my iPhone 4S, and Hallelujah! ...Mein Fuehrer, I can post!- Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2
Well, not exactly. I took home one of the dancers from The Web. (We detoured through Harlem to obtain some, ahem, substances ... I must have made quite the spectacle standing there on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd in black cape & red tie. Thank goodness at least for this cane, I remember thinking for a few moments while I waited on the sidewalk alone.)- Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2
You would not then have liked me going to The Web/NYC a couple of Halloweens ago dressed in full Barnabas Collins drag. The famous cane included... (The prop was a standard-production cane that you can still buy from, among other places, a specialty umbrella shop across the street from where the Russian Tea Room used to be.)- Journal Suggests Other Motives In Petraeus Departure
I think Axelrod, Plouffe and the other Chicago pros would do everything they could to leave as little to chance as possible. As they should.- Journal Suggests Other Motives In Petraeus Departure
You think? The Journal is still pretty careful usually in its hard news coverage, the hand of Rupert notwithstanding.- The Art of Manliness
Thank you ... I think!- Likes
I would never complain about the view from just behind lookin.- Romney tries to explain loss to major donors - still in denial
Typical of his class that he views such things as "gifts" rather than as rights or justice.- The Art of Manliness
Just stumbled over this delightful treasure trove of a site... http://artofmanliness.com/ ...both contemporary and historical stuff, from '50s business etiquette to way-back times. Pretty witty in places. May waste the rest of today prowling around there.- Best Cum Shot Contest
- You Won The Lotto - Fuck The Family Global Warming Kids Friends Peta ....