Everything posted by RA1
-
For all you cooks. Add more if you please.
I believe ships must do something similar to this as they are not allowed to have open fires. Thanks. Best regards, RA1
-
Best & Worst Airlines
Charter and corporate aviation are very much connected especially with jets. The point being it is a bit difficult to separate them into distinct entities. Business jet flying is comparable to the airlines for safety. Often a corporation will either increase the use of their aircraft by offering it for charter or even establish a charter company for tax purposes even though no one except company employees are on board. These kinds of things tend to "confuse" any statistics. There are private "rating" services that state their purpose is to evaluate charter companies but their chief concern is how new the fleet is. This generally has little to do with how safe any operation might be. The airlines are rated (usually for investment purposes) by how new their fleet is also. Everyone likes newer equipment from the pilots to the cabin crews to the passengers. But that does not in and of itself make them safer. Safety is an attitude and practice thereof. Going on or sending folks on a jet charter is a very safe thing to do. After that for other aircraft I would want to know the reputation of the operator, something easy enough to find out from local customers or asking around the airport. I currently fly a jet prop for a corporation. I consider it a very safe way for them and me to travel. Best regards, RA1
-
Do You Have A Will?
The Biblical sense is often very gratifying. Best regards, RA1
-
For all you cooks. Add more if you please.
I appreciate the posts. The "recipe" I mentioned isn't for hard boiled eggs but steamed eggs which is why it takes 20 minutes. I also realize there are any number of fool proof cooking methods. I read about steaming, tried it and was very pleased with the results. Additionally I happened to have in my kitchen a metal pan with an insert with holes in it and a top for this type of steaming. If I had to buy something I likely would have resisted trying this. As mentioned before, you never will accidentally crack an egg during steaming as you might during boiling. And, they peel very easily. I have found hard boiled eggs sometimes do and sometimes don't which some have said has to do with the age of the eggs. However, wayout's method may work just as well. Eggs, like coffee and many other common foods, seem to fall into and out of favor as various things about them are "discovered". Right now I think that a couple of eggs 3-5 times a week is OK. Who knows? Any other recipe ideas that have made simple foods simpler? Best regards, RA1
-
Do You Have A Will?
I know a Will who is cute. Does that count? Best regards, RA1
-
Best & Worst Airlines
Bundling services for higher and higher fees is just a back door way of going back to "big" fares which are inclusive which was the case before deregulation. The airlines are just afraid to tell the truth and face the music. Our pols seem to be in the same mode. The airlines poor business plans and poor PR have done wonders for the aircraft charter business. A small group of folks can go most anywhere sooner and faster than the airlines and often for a very similar price (depending partly upon how many bundles one needs or uses). There are no bundles on charter. The price will increase (but be quoted on the front end) for going into high fee airports like ORD or JFK or SFO, etc. but why go into those when your ultimate destination is very likely closer to another (cheaper) airport. Also if you want a case of Dom Perignon on board, you will have to pay extra for it. This is not an ad for charter. I no longer am involved with such a business but continue to recognize its' value. Best regards, RA1
-
Pope Francis: Atheists can be good
I am active and still flying. I give full credit to picking my parents carefully. Best regards, RA1
-
Vermont passes law allowing doctor-assisted suicide
Thanks for the reply. Best regards, RA1
-
Vermont passes law allowing doctor-assisted suicide
Basically I was making a general statement and it was not intended to be specifically directed towards Oregon or any other state. I was also speculating on possible future legislation although that point may not have been abundantly clear. What I am suggesting is that anyone should personally take responsibility for themselves and think long and hard about what they are doing. Apparently you live in Oregon. I would be pleased to read any comments you have (in addition to the above) about how things work there. Are there any provisions for lethal Rx to be administered if the patient is indeed terminal but mentally unable to make a decision at that time. For instance, do not resuscitate can be activated in such a case by power of attorney (and other ways but that is the quickest and easiest). Best regards, RA1
-
Pope Francis: Atheists can be good
Why wouldn't you like this Pope? You might not agree with his official positions but he seems very much less strait laced than any in memory and very personable. There was a saying when I was growing up that said, I like Ike, hell, I even miss Harry. I like BO but that doesn't mean I agree with some of his official positions. Best regards, RA1
-
For all you cooks. Add more if you please.
Hard cooked eggs. I can't believe it took me so long to know this. However, it is amazing how easily they peel. Steam them. Place eggs in the upper half of a two pot steamer with sufficient water in the bottom. Steam for 20 minutes, let cool and enjoy. No more cracked shells from over boiling. No problem with very fresh eggs or those that a little older. Best regards, RA1
-
Do you have a friend or relative who....
We are only here to serve, just like your manservants. Best regards, RA1
-
Online fart machine
I like the idea of surreptitiously. Although when the zero hour occurs it may not be a secret. Best regards, RA1
-
Gay Cyprus – A Land Of Contradiction
Genetic-maybe; political-no. Personally I prefer Iraklion in the same general vicinity. Best regards, RA1
-
Online fart machine
The "whoopee cushion" as defined by the digital age exponentially expanded. Best regards, RA1
-
Hoover as librarian
Obviously you do not remember the loyalty oaths of the 1950's. I still remember my school teachers complaining about same. However, they signed them. Also a lot of propaganda about J. Edgar was sent to the schools to include movies showing him getting the "bad guys". There is no doubt those bad guys needed "getting" but now we realize how little he personally had to do with it. Virtually nothing. I am in favor of the best aspects of his "image" but totally against the overwhelming reality of the person. Sorry. Best regards, RA1
-
Elephant paints self-portrait
I could do that if I looked more like an elephant. Wait. Never mind. I think an unseen hand is guiding that Indian elephant's trunk. I think I saw a TV show like that once. Once or twice a hand has guided my trunk. There is no end to these kinds of comments, so I will cease. Best regards, RA1
-
Do you have a friend or relative who....
I just cannot imagine anyone who posts on this site or any other who might fit that description. Best regards, RA1
-
Vermont passes law allowing doctor-assisted suicide
There are a lot of issues with this. How do we know for sure another is in unremitting and terminal pain? How do we know for sure what their wishes may be? Who do you trust to make this decision for you? There are some clues and partial answers to some of these questions. One being if you have made out a do not resuscitate request and living will. Generally it must be signed and notarized to be legal. That somewhat solves one issue but is basically used only when one's demise is imminent. Long term pain can come in many forms both mental and physical. Today and even better in the near term future, we are more able to deal with these problems. Wouldn't you hate to terminate just a little while before they discovered a cure or a method to control the condition? Wouldn't you REALLY hate it if someone else made that decision for you? Of course, if you are gone you may not hate anything but your friends and relatives surely will. Probably the time to make up your own mind about these kinds of issues is when you are mature enough to have fully realized your own mortality but not sick (enough) to seriously consider doing anything drastic about it. Given that you have achieved that state, Zen or otherwise, I think most states (at least I hope most states) require a fully informed, sane decision from the patient + a consensus from a committee of physicians, family and maybe friends. Committees generally are regarded to make poor decisions but in this case the more safeguards the better. Just something to think about before you sign up for suicide, assisted or otherwise. Best regards, RA1
-
Joke for the Day: Add more if you want
A current fad on TV ads is to have various products "melt" and it isn't even summer yet. Best regards, RA1
-
Would you propose to this guy?
And, all this time I thought only Hito had a foot fetish. Silly me. Best regards, RA1
-
Teen Wolf coming to MTV June 3
I have been converted by being blown before. Best regards, RA1
-
Would you propose to this guy?
Isn't that the "real" purpose for manservants? Best regards, RA1
-
Would you propose to this guy?
There will be visitors? In the movie Home Alone there wasn't much mischief until "visitors" showed up. Perhaps you have other things in mind? Best regards, RA1
-
Teen Wolf coming to MTV June 3
If supernaturally infected blood is infectious then I am quite willing to suppose it can be transmitted. However, personally, that is not the buzzing I would have in mind. Don't forget, I know all those vampire FEDEX pilots who hang upside down in a closet all day so they can fly all night. Their normal buzz comes in a white and blue can or reasonable facsimile. Best regards, RA1