Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Update from Chiang Mai

Featured Replies

Orion Bar has been offering free food every Sunday night for the last two years.

Freshly cooked thai food.

Not too many balloon chasers, and enjoyed by everyone.

The idea is not new.

What's a balloon chaser?

guy who it bar hopping in search of free food, offer usually announced by  balloons, I gather it originally was coined in Pattaya

Also know as, "Cheap Charlies" or by the Thais as Farang Kinok (kinoo)

I believe that "balloon chaser" is more hyperbole than reality. I am not a Cheap Charlie nor a balloon chaser, but, when a bar is having a party for one of their boys (with balloons) I may attend, buy a drink, don't eat and give the birthday boy a tip. I believe that is also the case with many of the attendees. Nonetheless, a picturesque figure of speech.

This is the leader of a well known group of balloon chasers in Pattaya.

post-16940-0-00251800-1495529060_thumb.png

Also know as, "Cheap Charlies" or by the Thais as Farang Kinok (kinoo)

 

Two different phrases actually:

 

farang kee nok: bird-shit farang

 

farang kee nuu: rat-shit farang

 

Both describe a farang who's cheap or miserly.  I wouldn't use it as it's not very polite and the kind of colloquial speak best left to the Thais.  You can say kee neow (to mean stingy) but personally I would hold my tongue when Thais criticise other farangs and for sure when they criticise other Thais.  I just flash my benign half-smile.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.