Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Gay Guides Forum

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

USA to Brasil. Which airport?

Featured Replies

  • Active Members

I'm trying to plan a trip to Brazil and it seems that all the flights from Philadelphia have a short layover in Sao Paulo (GRU) before going onto Rio (GIG).

This is my first trip to Brazil and I only plan to stay for 10 days including flight time and I'm wondering if it's better to stay in sp or continue on to Rio?

  • Active Members

The key point is to be aware that you have to clear immigration, get baggage unless only carry-on, clear customs, and deposit checked luggage at the domestic transfer point that might be a different terminal (there are 3 at GRU). This is best done on the same ticket in case the booking did not provide sufficient time leeway. Be advised that cabin weight restrictions are stricter for domestic flights.. 

I have, alternately, stayed in São Paulo a few days, stayed overnight but within the 24-hour limit (from arrival to domestic departure) in order to have the integrated ticket, or pushed through to the transfer immediately. The latter meaning usually arriving in Rio in the afternoon for typical check-in time anyway. 

But I believe you may arrive very early morning depending on first transfer point in USA.

Here's hoping the new relaxed entry requirements will eventually lead to more direct flights.

Edited by Riobard

  • Active Members
3 hours ago, Bucknaway1614502762 said:

I'm trying to plan a trip to Brazil and it seems that all the flights from Philadelphia have a short layover in Sao Paulo (GRU) before going onto Rio (GIG).

This is my first trip to Brazil and I only plan to stay for 10 days including flight time and I'm wondering if it's better to stay in sp or continue on to Rio?

Good to see you back, Bucky - 

It is not necessary to first go to Sao Paulo en route to Rio.  You were misinformed.

United Airlines has flights from Philadelphia to Rio de Janeiro with a stop in Houston, Texas.

American Airlines has flights from Philadelphia to Rio with a stop in Miami.

You would be making a big mistake if you travel to Rio with a stop in Sao Paulo.  You would likely have to change terminals and/or airports if you go to Sao Paulo en route to Rio. 

This is not good for a first-time traveler.

Have a good trip.

 

 

4 hours ago, Bucknaway1614502762 said:

I'm trying to plan a trip to Brazil and it seems that all the flights from Philadelphia have a short layover in Sao Paulo (GRU) before going onto Rio (GIG).

This is my first trip to Brazil and I only plan to stay for 10 days including flight time and I'm wondering if it's better to stay in sp or continue on to Rio?

I would also suggest taking a flight directly to Rio (GIG) versus a short layover in Sao Paulo (GRU).  In the event you decide to do the short layover at GRU, allow at least 3 hours between the arrival of your flight from the USA and the departure time of your connecting flight within Brazil.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.