steveboy

Bangkok post-Songkran... when?

After several recent cancellations  due to my friend's health problems I had to cancel once again a trip to BKK planned for Sonkran,  something that brings tears to my eyes.  I have liked so much BKK on special occasions because I enjoy cruising their saunas and bars when they are packed on holidays.

After I came to this forum and read the reports I'm warming up to the idea of trying out massage places and gogo bars and see if I like the value of paying for the best, something new for me.

This is my question to you BKK experts:  which are in your opinion the best occasions after Songkran (mid April) and before October to visit BKK and perhaps Pattaya?  Does the Summer heat matter?  Are boys hotter in Summer?

Some members would cry if they were in BKK at Songkran but I still enjoy the boat trip to the pier near Khao San Road area on the first Songkran day and walking Silom Road on day 2. The summer months are too hot for me so I leave after Pattaya Songkran. Some other members should be able to answer your questions about other events. Loy Krathong is a nice event if you can visit after October but the actual date varies relative to the full moon.

Guest abang1961

I'm from Singapore and the weather patterns are very similar to that of parts of Thailand, i.e. it is always hot and humid. There is no difference - hot and hotter, wet and wetter in different months.

Depending on the time of the year, Phuket and Pattaya have low seasons of tourist arrivals between April and late September because of the Monsoons. To me, rainy days can be a major obstacle in Bangkok. Unlike Singapore, Bangkok's urban renewal is not properly laid out. The drainage of rainwater is not planned accordingly and stepping onto/into puddles of STILL water dampens the day.

One other thing I hope that the authority there can do immediately is to have cover walkways (to shade us from the harsh sun-rays and the rain). If possible, beef up the metropolitan with more trees and to curb carbon monoxide emission from the motor vehicles.

Exam fever in Singapore occurs in the first 2 weeks of May and the entire month of June is school holidays here... Plan your trip according to your likes, dislikes and expectations.

The EURO summer holidays from late june till early sept. certainly do have more people visiting LOS then, but for the Thai it remains low season, as its rainy. But DO avoid the monthes of may/june, before the rain really starts, as then it really gets oppressing humid+hot then-in that respect Thai wheather DOES differ from SIN, which sits about on equator and does not really have distinct rainy/dry seasons. Sept+early oct often sees enormous amounts of rain.

For barboys traditon has it that the rice-planting, harvesting, draws many back to the village in the time. But it seems to me this is mostly a thing of the distant past now. Anyway, I mainyl visit Thai places and there is always an ample supply of students or whatever working there-this may be different from the expensive tipical touristy places that get mostly mentioned here.

to add:very simple method-when airfares to BKK are at its lowest, then the wheather is at its worst. and v.v.

This is a good guide for the wise!   And it could serve me well, because I care more about low airfares than good weather. I am happy walking in the rain, as long as it is not too strong.  Since I care more about seeing cute gays than seeing clear skies, I may look into July/August to catch those vacationing students too.

Thank you all for your advice!

This is a good guide for the wise!   And it could serve me well, because I care more about low airfares than good weather. I am happy walking in the rain, as long as it is not too strong.  Since I care more about seeing cute gays than seeing clear skies, I may look into July/August to catch those vacationing students too.

Thank you all for your advice!

As far as I am concerned there isn't a bad moth to visit Thailand, all year round is worth a visit. Over the last 16 years I've visited at some time or other during all months bar Nov and Dec.But I tend to stick to Jan/Feb, June and October as the most regular months as they suit my schedule and it's 3 annual visits equally spaced. Things to note...May has 4 public holidays, and July 3 which may affect bars and venues if they coincide with your visit. July and August tends to be Euro hols so if you are travelling from Europe flights will not be as attractive as May/june/September.   

As for rain, I never think about it when booking a visit. It does put many westerners/farangs off from going out visiting bars etc..during an evening with rain, why?......I don't know....as an umbrella is all that needed between bars which all have roofs! Yes there can be occasional heavy downpours but it never causes bars, discos, clubs, or massage shops to actually close. Yes it's classed as low season but there are still tons and tons of available lads, but in June there may only be 1,000 to choose your one boy for the night from instead of the 2,000 in high season!

I've just returned from a month's trip and booked already for June which will be every bit as enjoyable as my last trip and the next one after. Sure there is less 'atmosphere' in some of the bars as there are less customers, but still plenty of of available and willing guys. There may be an element of guys who return home to work but the vast majority of guys in Pattaya are based there and stay there permanently with occasional trips back home. Also with Gay Romeo and hornet you don't even have to rely on going out...you can arrange for a visit. 

Bangkok like wise, but I seem to notice less difference between the months there, as every Friday/Saturday/Sunday is high season around suriwong/silom.  

June is also a good month for room availability at reasonable rates both in Bkk and Pattaya. Also there are no local/Buddhist holidays if entertainment venues are important to you.

Last year i was both in June and December and did not notice much of a difference in quality and quantity of boys available. Weather was definitely cooler in Dec but Jun was quite bearable as well and this comes from guy who generally prefers winter over summer.