Guest tdperhs

Pat(taya)'s Cheese Steak

Guest tdperhs

When I began to contemplate my first visit to Thailand over two years ago, I surfed the web for information about the culture and read many articles and tidbits of advice so many of you have been willing to share. Much of it proved invaluable in making each of my trips a problem free and memorable experience. Until it was put into hibernation, I used to follow Gaybutton.com with the zeal of a Southern Baptist looking for scriptural passages that would justify his hating everybody who was not a WASP.

This week in Pattaya I had a gastronomic experience I want to share with you. There is a small, innocuous little bar just off Beach Road on the south side of Soi 13/2. It is owned by an American named Pete and it is called Subs-N-Suds. The main thing that distinguishes it from the other venues on this boulevard of wall to wall bars is a small yellow sign with the letters ADSL hanging above the door. Pete has a small Internet room in the back.

The bill of fare here is sandwiches, primarily subs. However, the flagship of the fleet has to be his Philly Cheese Steak. It is

I tried it too and I enjoyed it as much as you did. It is located about halfway down Soi Yamato, between Second Road and the Beach. If you start at Royal Garden, just go north, toward Central Road (Pattaya Klang). Soi Yamato is two sois up from Royal Garden. It is also marked as Soi 13/2.

I liked the Philly Cheese Steak very much. I also liked the Toasted Italian Sub. I haven't tried it yet, but he's got a meatball sub on the menu too. I won't take me very long to get back there to try it.

There are plenty of other subs and sandwiches on the menu. Give it a try.

I have attached the Subs-N-Suds business card if you would like to have it.

If it ain't a "Whiz Wit", it ain't a cheesesteak! :)

I don't know what a 'whiz wit' is, but I do know that I liked it. Since I don't come from Philadelphia, I'm not qualified to judge whether this is a purist's cheese steak, but I haven't found a better one in Pattaya. But I'm always willing to try if anyone has a suggestion.

Guest jomtien

You walk up to the counter of your fav cheesesteak place in Philly and say "Whiz Wit". Without looking up the cook pours some unrecognizable oil on the grill, tosses on the sliced 'steak', and pushes some half-cooked onions onto the hot part of the grill. When the meat and onions are ready he picks up the bread in his left hand and opens it. Then, in an act of pure godliness, he dips his spatula into a large can sitting on the side of the grill. Out comes a spatula covered with glorious, runny, softened CheeseWhiz. Which he wipes on the bun. Then adds the steak and onions.

Heaven. Pure healthy gourmet eatin' I still have dreams of Philly cheesesteaks.

" ... tosses on the sliced 'steak', and pushes some half-cooked onions onto the hot part of the grill. When the meat and onions are ready he picks up the bread in his left hand and opens it. Then, in an act of pure godliness, he dips his spatula into a large can sitting on the side of the grill. Out comes a spatula covered with glorious, runny, softened CheeseWhiz. Which he wipes on the bun. Then adds the steak and onions. Heaven. Pure healthy gourmet eatin' I still have dreams of Philly cheesesteaks ..."

Can hardly think of anything less healthy ... or more disgusting.

Loaded down with cholestrol, fat, sticky shit (***CheeseWhiz!!!). A veritable metaphor of the reason(s) why Amurcans are the fattest, most unhealthy creatures on earth . . . with so many closing in on them fast ( to be fair), including my countrymen.

And after lunch, or dinner, or breakfast, they thrown on the thong (or Speedo if the rest of us are lucky) and head down to the beach. Delicious!!!

*** For your edification:

IPB Image

Cheers ...

Guest mgluyas

Loaded down with cholestrol, fat, sticky shit (***CheeseWhiz!!!). A veritable metaphor of the reason(s) why Amurcans are the fattest, most unhealthy creatures on earth . . . with so many closing in on them fast ( to be fair), including my countrymen.

And after lunch, or dinner, or breakfast, they thrown on the thong (or Speedo if the rest of us are lucky) and head down to the beach. Delicious!!!

IPB Image

Cheers ...

GET A LIFE.

Guest ear wig

Very good Smiles Im glad you are thinking healthy as even Mac Donald's are now much more nutritional for us in these days, when some Americans are the size of a house I was recently in the States and guys there wearing jeans as big as a tent, how can any one allow them selves to get fat like that it amazes me, how low some people's self ateeem is.

I see boyz going with farangs who are well over 250 lbs and they are cringing at the thought of what they will have to do with them.

Then after I ask boy how you like pom pooy farang he say no problem he can not do much, but if he smelly me do not like then.

--

Guest jomtien

IPB Image

Cheers ...

Well, unless I am wrong and you know me, you seem to be assuming I am American, fat, unhealthy, wear a speedo and or a thong. Assume what you like. Don't waste my and your time leaving things 'for my edification'....

If I want to change any of the things I am, I'll decide what to change without your help

If I want to change any of the things I am, I'll decide what to change without your help

But Jomtien . . . Don't you realize that we would all be so much better off looking like and thinking like Smiles? Being just like him has certainly long been one of my goals. I can't think of anything more stimulating than instigating a debate over the health value of a sandwich.

Well, if someone doesn't want to eat the cheese steak sub, there are plenty of other choices on the Subs-N-Suds menu. I guess one of those choices would be better for those who can't enjoy a sandwich once in a while because it doesn't meet his health standards. One could always order the sub and ask that the Cheeze Whiz, or whatever they're using, be left off. Don't forget to take a nutritional guide book with you. Otherwise you might not be able to check the nutritional value and health standards of the bread being used.

And for heaven's sake, whatever you do make sure that you don't order anything with mayonnaise on it. If you do, us "Amurcans" will not only be the the fattest, most unhealthy creatures on earth, but considering that Soi Yamato is quite a narrow street, the ambulance may not be able to make it to Subs-N-Suds in time to save you after the heart attack. So, if you eat there, make sure your thong is clean. After all, we all remember what mother said about wearing clean underwear in case we have to be taken to the hospital.

I am on a low carbohydrate diet and for one I am very happy Smiles posted this. With only 1% carbohydates, I can eat 5 or 10 scopes of Cheez Whiz and still be under 10% carbs.....Thanks Smiles...I can finally be happy wearing my thong to the beach while munching on Cheez Whiz and celery....one does need a little fiber!

Guest tdperhs

The point is moot and your observation is irrelevant. No one who has any knowlede of Pete's or of Pat's Philly cheese steaks has suggested that either ever used Cheese Whiz (which was not put on the market until long after the original Philly cheese steak became popular). Furthermore, it seems to me that it is in bad taste and a low form of ignorance to condemn a product based on information that is not even part and parcel to the discussion.

And, incidentally, Americans are not even close to being the most unhealthy creatures. If life expectancy can be considered an accurate criterion for good health (and all the vitality and rosy cheeks in the world aren't worth a damn when you are dead), then we are running a close second to the Swedes.

" tried it too and I enjoyed it as much as you did. It is located about halfway down Soi Yamato, between Second Road and the Beach. If you start at Royal Garden, just go north, toward Central Road (Pattaya Klang). Soi Yamato is two sois up from Royal Garden. It is also marked as Soi 13/2. "

I tried it today for the first time. I had a hard time finding it. I learned the soi 13/2 is actually Soi Post Office. Soi 13/1 is Soi Yamato. It is the same corner as Starbucks on Beach Road. So if you are looking for SUb and Suds, you need to be on Soi 13/1 which is Soi Yamato.

I had an interesting experience. When I found the place I went in and due to the time I went, there was just a waitress and the boy behind the bar. I was the only customer at the time. I sat down and ordered a bottle of water and a Philly Cheese Sub.

The boy behind the bar went to make the sub and the waitress sat down and started to ask me the usual questions, my name, where I was from...etc. She asked me where I liked to go and I said Boyztown. She said, "You like boy?" I said no, just food, thanks.

She went to the back, I thought to check on my food, but came back with a boy with a shirt on that said, "Red Dragon Boys go-go"..........now that is thoughtful customer service! :)

I had an interesting experience. When I found the place I went in and due to the time I went, there was just a waitress and the boy behind the bar. I was the only customer at the time. I sat down and ordered a bottle of water and a Philly Cheese Sub.

The boy behind the bar went to make the sub and the waitress sat down and started to ask me the usual questions, my name, where I was from...etc. She asked me where I liked to go and I said Boyztown. She said, "You like boy?" I said no, just food, thanks.

She went to the back, I thought to check on my food, but came back with a boy with a shirt on that said, "Red Dragon Boys go-go"..........now that is thoughtful customer service! :)

Lol, That's what I call Customer service as well :) how cute....

Guest A Rose By Any Other Name

Just tried the philly cheese steak today and I must say I was very impressed! It was excellent. Now the restaurant itself is nothing special, but with a sandwich like that, it doesn't need to be! It is just like Niddy's Nook in that respect... Their cheeseburger is amazing and that's why I continue to go!

Subs & Suds is a 10 in my book! Thanks for the recommendation.

TR The Rose :D