reader

LOS lures Brit pensioners

From Belfast Telegraph

Thailand is launching a fresh charm offensive to lure more pensioners to the Asian nation as Britons begin considering alternative retirement destinations outside of Europe in light of Brexit.

The president of Thailand Elite, a government-owned agency tasked with running the country's "exclusive" visa scheme, told the Press Association that Britain's divorce from the EU was a chance to strengthen ties between the two countries.

Pruet Boobphakam said: "I think that Brexit will give us an opportunity to even open more, or to introduce Thailand even on a broader scale ... you can live in Thailand for up to 20 years if you'd like to, therefore it would be a good opportunity for both countries, in terms of UK people and the Thai people."

UK retirees who might otherwise look to settle down in warmer climes along the Mediterranean are facing uncertainty about their long-term rights in EU countries like Spain, where more than 300,000 Brits live, after Brexit.

The collapse of the pound in the wake of the referendum has also reduced the purchasing power of sterling-denominated pensions across the eurozone.

Thailand's 20-year residence programme, which was originally launched in 2003, does not come cheap, costing 600 US dollars per year (£481), on top of a 60,000 US dollar one-off fee (£48,138), although promoters say the low cost of living can help make up for the bill.

It also offers 10-year residence for around 30,000 US dollars (£24,066), with perks like VIP transport services and annual health checks at a private hospital, as well as a five-year option for 15,000 US dollars (£12,033).

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/news/britons-encouraged-to-consider-thailand-for-retirement-amid-brexit-uncertainty-35599568.html

Seems to me that Thailand Elite is doing its best to rip off UK pensioners in a big way. I reckon the only reason anyone would think of paying $60,000 plus $600 a year is if they dont know about the annual retirement visa procedure. After all the perks are extremely limited. I bet Thailand Elite is doing its best to ensure that state of ignorance is maintained!