reader

Saving old rail stations and the Mekong

From The Nation

Preserving vintage rail stations

c7b4dd824c41c0dd6b91ff7287f05d56-sld.jpe

Nakhon Ratchasima governor Wichien Chantaranothai's has received some local support for his ongoing bid to raise funds to buy and conserve 10 picturesque old railway stations along the Chira Road-Khon Kaen route, which are earmarked for demolition.

As Ch-Kanchang Co Ltd civil engineers were surveying the 60-year-old Noen Sung Train Station for demolition on Wednesday, Noen Sung district residents – many of whom were there to take free train rides – said they thought it would be a shame if this old station was demolished and backed the governor's bid to conserve it and nine other stations.

Sompit Khayaiklang, 62, said that while it would be unfortunate to lose the station she has used since childhood, she agreed with the construction of a new station and double-track development. "I want the related agencies to conserve the building, maybe moving it to a public land and turning it into a library or museum," she said.

The 10 railway stations in Muang, Noen Sung, Khong, Bua Yai and Bua Lai districts earmarked for demolition are Ban Koh, Nong Maew, Noen Sung, Nong Ploung, Pol Fai Songkhram, Bang Makha, Ban Don Yai, Khong, Noen Thong Lang and Nong Bua Lai.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314118

From Channel News Asia

Locals protesting China's Mekong project

KHON PI LONG, Thailand: China's plan to blast open more of the Mekong River for bigger cargo ships could founder on a remote outcrop of half-submerged rocks that Thai protesters have vowed to protect against Beijing's economic expansion in Southeast Asia.

Dynamiting the Pi Long rapids and other sections of the Mekong between Thailand and Laos will harm the environment and bring trade advantages only to China, the protesters say.

"This will be the death of the Mekong," said Niwat Roykaew, chairman of the Rak Chiang Khong Conservation Group, which is campaigning against the project. "You'll never be able to revive it."

Niwat said blasting the Mekong will destroy fish breeding grounds, disrupt migrating birds and cause increased water flow that will erode riverside farmland.

Such opposition reflects a wider challenge to China's ambitious "One Belt, One Road" project to build a modern-day Silk Road through Asia to Europe.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314118

From South China Morning Post

Japan's new luxury train

1ac72a6e-2b03-11e7-acff-d77f13c4971d_972

East Japan Railway’s new luxury sleeper train providing a cruise experience with a modern Japanese taste debuts May 1, with operator JR East on Wednesday giving members of the press test rides on the brand-new “Train Suite Shiki-shima”.

JR East, which serves Tokyo and other areas in the eastern part of the main island of Honshu, will offer from May to November a four-day trip on the train covering Hokkaido and parts of northeastern Japan and a two-day trip around Yamanashi, Nagano and Fukushima. The fees range from 320,000 yen ($2,856 USD) to 950,000 yen ($8,428 USD) per person when two people share a room.

West Japan Railway, which serves Osaka and other areas in the western part of the main island of Honshu will launch its version of the luxury sleeper train called Twilight Express Mizukeze in June.

More photos

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/travel-food/article/2091508/japans-new-luxury-sleeper-train-ultimate-travel

These three articles have nothing to do with each other and should have been posted separately.

I have no idea why they want to demolish the railway stations. I drove past these many times. All railway stations I have seen in Thailand are adequate. I would say someone with connections to railway owns a construction company and is looking for work.

The Mekhong flows through Thailand, Lao and Cambodia. The political effort and bribes required to make all agree is beyond imagination. (Consider that even three civilized countries like Germany, Austria and Switzerland can't agree on one version of German!)

These three articles have nothing to do with each other and should have been posted separately.

I stand--sit, actually--admonished.

All railway stations I have seen in Thailand are adequate. I would say someone with connections to railway owns a construction company and is looking for work.

You think?