bkkguy

Gay marriage observations in Thailand

I didn't want to drag ryanasia's topic "off topic" but was intrigued by an op-ed piece in the Bangkok Post today on the current move for marriage equality here

With democracy abolished and human rights abrogated, what they are asking for is nothing but special favour. In the current political climate when all other voices have been silenced, such clamouring is as appropriate as someone yelping away on mobile phone in a cinema.

Marriage law equality call risks staining rainbow flag

Paisarn Likhitpreechakul, Bangkok Post, 18 May 2017

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1251610/marriage-law-equality-call-risks-staining-rainbow-flag

bkkguy

Guest ryanasia

Not sure what it will take to jump start equal rights for LGBT in Thailand. I think the country will have to return to a basic democracy before there is any chance of anything else changing. 

The author of the article seems to take some kind of umbrage that the gay activists are petitioning the current junta to try to gain ground. I can see the point that it gives recognition to a government that isn't legitimate. However if the current leader miraculously used article 44 to make gay marriage a legal mandate isn't this a win? This would never happen is the problem. 

The article is written in such a fashion  that it is hard to discern what the writer is actually trying to say. I think it is a valid point to try to challenge marriage licenses being denied in the courts. That said I also think using petitions to the government are also a useful tool.

The LGBT movement in Thailand needs any springboard it can get. The current political situation may remain for the next decade so they have to work with in this frame work at the moment. 

The author seems to ignore the fact that other groups petition the current government and "ask for favors", too. Singling out the gay community is more than just a bit disingenuous.

And why not keep pushing for marriage equality, regardless of the government of the day? Thailand has had so many coups and has been under military rule for long periods of time. Why let that time go to waste when you want change?

As a gay male in America, I often hear almost the same viewpoint expressed by the leaders and clergy in the Black Community.

The black community has been fighting for their rights a lot longer then the gay community, but with marriage equality we are closer now to total acceptance then many blacks are. Yes, their attitude is short sighted, but understandable.  I am pretty sure the same thing is going on with the people who have fought for democracy in this country, and who are not even close to achieving it by Western standards.