reader

New electronic device regs July 17

While checking fares i came across a notice on the EVA website, announcing new regulations regarding electronic devices  that will come into effect on July 17.  An article with more details was published in the Taiwan News. Although I don't know if this is specific to Taiwan or will be implemented world-wide for US-bound flights, I suspect the latter.

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) -- Passengers bound to the U.S. from Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport who are carrying electronic devices in their carry-on bags will be subject to tougher screening starting July 17, according to the Civil Aeronautics Administration (CAA) which announced the new measures on Thursday.

The CAA said that the new restrictions are being implemented to be in compliance with heightened security measures adopted by the U.S. Transportation Security Administration (TSA) on Thursday.

The TSA launched the measures in response to reports by US intelligence agencies that believe ISIS and other terrorist groups have developed new methods of placing explosives in electronic devices which can evade standard screening techniques. 

In line with the new TSA guidelines, electronic devices larger than a smartphone such as tablet computers, laptops, e-books, DVD players, digital cameras and video game consoles that are being taken aboard aircraft cabins will be subject to stricter screening. 

This, however, does not mean that such devices are banned from being carried on board, rather it means that passengers need to prepare to have their devices screened, said the CAA. 

Starting on July 17, passengers planning to carry such devices on board the plane will be subject to random spot checks at the departure gates, which in some cases could be quite time consuming, as the inspection of each devices could take more than three minutes, according to the CAA.

Security officers will be equipped at boarding gates with specialized screening detectors to examine electronic devices for explosive material.

The CAA recommends stowing such devices in their check-in luggage to save boarding time.

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3200181

This is not too bad.  The devices are not banned on carry-on-s, there is simply a probability of being checked more thoroughly. Today we can do well having just a laptop in addition to the smartphone, and it should not take too long to test it.  I imagine the test would be to have it powered up, or maybe scanned with some special machine?

I have been thoroughly checked by security a few times, and this is fine having sufficient time and not getting upset, like "why did they single me out, do I look like a criminal?".  It is them who have to do the work, we merely have to repack what they mess up.

This is not too bad.  The devices are not banned on carry-on-s,

that may be matter of time.

If something , God forbid happens, we will have ban. Good that old fashioned books and magazines are still available to kill the flying time