reader

Students, faculty behaving badly

From Coconuts Bangkok

Police are searching for as many as three tech college students suspected of stabbing to death a student from a rival school.

Chanon Chuankhunthod, 20, a student at polytechnic university Uthenthawai, died after trying to fight off attackers outside the downtown MBK Center mall on Tuesday. Chanon was the newest fatal student death in a long tradition of rival student gangs injuring and killing each other.

Chanon was allegedly killed by students from Pathumwan Institute of Technology, located just a few minutes from the mall, reported Khaosod English.

In a bid to prevent retaliation or other related incidents, Pathumwan Institute of Technology canceled classes through the end of the week and plans to open up again after the weekend.

According to onlookers, the senseless killing started when groups of students from the rival schools met in the walkway from BTS National Stadium station to MBK Center.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/tech-student-murdered-outside-bangkoks-mbk-mall-gang-rival-school/

From Khaosod English

BANGKOK — Chulalongkorn University’s vice president of student affairs apologized Friday for a professor who put a student in a chokehold during the school’s annual freshmen initiation ceremony.

University Vice President Bancha Calapiron’s apology came a day after botany instructor and administrator Ruengwit Bunjongrat was filmed placing a freshman in a headlock during the campus event.

“I really have to apologize on behalf of the professor,” Bancha said Friday.

Supalak Damrongjit, the 21-year-old freshman Ruengwit placed in the headlock, filed an assault complaint with police after Thursday’s incident. Supalak said he was physically and verbally abused when he and the student body president, 20-year-old activist Netiwit Chotiphatphaisal, bowed instead of prostrated themselves on the ground to statues of two past kings credited with founding the university.

“He put me in a headlock and yelled at me using curse words as he dragged me off the field,” Supalak said. “He called me a motherfucking kid, used ‘meung’ and asked me where [Netiwit] was.”

Meung is a vulgar term of address also used casually between close friends.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/08/04/chula-admin-apologizes-student-put-chokehold/

3. Did he really use the word "motherfucker" or is there a direct Thai equivalent?wrestling

I'd also like to know that.

I recently started a thread asking if Thais swore, but apart from being told they did, no examples were given.

Any on-line search will produce numerous sites about Thai swear words and profanity.

I located two sources that agree that the term mentioned above is "yet mae."

NOTE: I don't read or write Thai and am only reporting what I found.

before somebody starts using it better learn proper pronunciation to make sure any Thai we are throwing it at him understands correctly what we want to say

Any on-line search will produce numerous sites about Thai swear words and profanity.

NOTE: I don't read or write Thai and am only reporting what I found.

When we come to LOS as tourists, the last thing on our mind is to know how to swear, insult in Thai.