Schuft

Meeting your Fiance's Parents

I will be meeting my Fiances Parents in April. Anyone know how I should do it properly? The Father is English so a Hand Shake would suffice, Do I Wai his Mother?  Do I bring a gift to her?  It will not be at the Parents home but at the Hotel.  I have read about how it should go, does anyone have "real world" experience?

Wais are usually best avoided by falangs. They are  more complicated than they appear....schools even had competitions to  find the best exponent, wth the winners going on to local finals. Perhaps they still do.

There's only one way to find out what you should do; ask your boy-friend what he wants. P taught me the correct position of the hands when I met Mama and Papa for the first time but they were relatively elderly country people with traditional views. I'd never wai-ed anyone before and have never done so  since.

Start with some logic thinking: so hte mother is married to a farang and thus must be exposed to western funny customs for a few yrs-at least as long as your guy is old+ 9 monthes. I guess she then must be very well used to those funny customs like handshake or ´howdoyoudo´. I would assume she even speaks a tiny bit of the phaasaa angkrit too. Praise the skies that they are so open-minded as to have no objections and are willing to meet you. As you say its in the HTL so offer them the obligatory drinks and perhaps a meal. And yes, BF would know best and I assume youre also beyond the stage where his only answer is ´uptoyou´.