floridarob

When will Thailand open to Tourists- question/speculation?

I know no one really knows, but I've booked refundable tix to Bali and BKK for December.

What's everyone's thought on what will happen?

I checked travel insurance today and can get a month travel with 100k or 250k Covid coverage for 67/92 usd.

I'm a US citizen  residency in Mexico, if it matters.

I really don't think that someone can give you a reliable answer about that. We can speculate , guess or make a wish no more than that.

In my humble opinion I don't think it's a good idea to make a booking and it's better wait .

2 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

I really don't think that someone can give you a reliable answer about that. We can speculate , guess or make a wish no more than that.

In my humble opinion I don't think it's a good idea to make a booking and it's better wait .

Business reward tix that can be refunded...some of the flights not usually available on rewards ;)

Nothing much going on, I was just curious what others are thinking/planning

Don't count on refund on case of cancellation if the situation won't improve many airlines might go bankrupt or will be in sirious liquidity difficulties when the situation will improve in the future you can always book a ticket in a short notice , It's better to wait and see what will happen and not make any commitments at the moment.

2 hours ago, floridarob said:

I know no one really knows, but I've booked refundable tix to Bali and BKK for December.

What's everyone's thought on what will happen?

I checked travel insurance today and can get a month travel with 100k or 250k Covid coverage for 67/92 usd.

I'm a US citizen  residency in Mexico, if it matters.

What I can tell you is that for the month of August, it is almost impossible for those with work permits to get into the country from the USA. There is a cadre of steps that one must go through to get here and then be quarantined. December is four months away and I do expect there will be some loosening. However, the Thais are not happy if some one gets in with Covid putting all at risk. I'd gamble that if that happens (and it will) all relaxations will be ceased and the borders closed again. But, that is just my opinion.

Friends in Thailand now, including myself, do not plan on travel until mid next year for fear of getting blocked out. I have a wedding to attend in NYC in December, I don't plan to attend and I am the godfather of the bride. I'll send some money to help with the wedding but my presence is not something I can give right now.

I have 3 friends in quarantine hotels right now and they are doing fine. They are checked multiple times daily and their accommodations are fine. But, who wants to spend 14 days in one room?  I don't see that as being lifted anytime soon.

As Boy69 said, I don't think anyone knows and it is all speculation. All the above is my best guesses based on reports from friends.

How is Mexico?

Fun wise...Mexico is great. but quarantine, dry law imposed (good thing I plan ahead) , many places closed...only essential places allowed open on weekends, etc...

Otherwise, they have a populist president like the USA and Brasil, so the virus is predicted to peak here in Oct., according to the experts (not the government).

It's the Thai food and massage that I can't get here that's the same in Thailand 

Regrettably I agree with Michael. I see a slow loosening with people from certain relatively free covid19 countries being allowed in - eg Taiwan and Vietnam. Originally I thought parts of Europe but there seem to be new spikes cropping up all over the continent. I honestly cannot see any tourists being allowed in for many months from the badly hit countries like the USA, UK, Mexico, Brazil, Russia and India where the virus is still spreading rapidly. There will be a lot of economic hardship here but the population prefer that to the virus reappearing and being spread by tourists. When will it be safe to return? For those from most countries my guess is not until 2021

I'm holding unused ticked from Jun trip which never happened. I hope that by Nov it will be some opening but realistically speaking if it will be possible in January 2021 I'd be happy. On another hand I have all plans in place and ready to go next day after they announce we are welcomed again.

So floridarob hold on to your ticket and hope for the best. While Dec in BKK is one of best months climate wise     for Bali make sure you have at least 10 umbrellas with you

I think what is most likely to happen is at some point - and I have no clue as to when that might be - Thailand will start allowing tourists in from countries that are not experiencing a virus problem.  Countries that are having the problem, especially the USA where not only the virus is rampant, but so many people refuse to even wear a face mask, it's going to be a very long time before they are allowed in.  And even then, I'm still expecting a quarantine requirement - at the traveler's own expense.

One of the potential problems for gay holiday makers is whether there will still be enough gay venues in business to make travel to Thailand even worthwhile at all.  I'm envisioning a worst case scenario to be much higher airfares if the airlines require social distancing, fewer airlines even flying to Thailand, proof of insurance that covers Covid-19, 14 day quarantine required at your own expense, mandatory health checks even after being released from quarantine, and only a few gay venues still open if any even survived long enough to remain open.

I wish I could feel optimistic about it, but in my estimation even if tourists are allowed in unimpeded tomorrow, it will still be at least several years before gay venues even resemble the way things were just a few years ago.  Along with the Covid-19 problems, the gay scene in Pattaya was already in trouble with many bars going out of business and prudish over-regulation courtesy of the powers-that-be, long before anyone ever heard of Covid-19.  The Covid-19 crisis may very well be the unfortunate straw that finally breaks the Thailand gay scene's back.

This is one time I hope I'm totally wrong about every word I wrote in this post, but so far I haven't seen or even heard anything that would alter my prediction.

Other than plans already in the works announced last week to bring certain categories of foreigners back, expecting any change before next year is optimistic. 

Travel bubbles (corridors or whatever term you care to apply) are unlikely to succeed. The conditions on which they're based can change in a heartbeat and international air carriers can't build capacity on a shaky basis like that.

Thailand also has another issue lurking in the background. There's a segment of those who run the country that want it once and for all transformed into a destination for the affluent like Dubai. They tired of welcoming the hoi polloi from around the world and seek a giant makeover. The virus breaths life into the dream but it's a scheme destined to fail because it can't provide the employment for the masses of citizens of of work.

The current 14-day quarantine requirements won't attract many comers unless they plan an extended stay of 45 days or more.

I'd be watching Vietnam and how it handles the new outbreak of community transmissions in the resort city of Da Nang.where 15 cases have been uncovered. No ASEAN country has enjoyed greater success in suppressing Covid and how it responds now could well become a blueprint of how Thailand may react when the virus reappears in local transmission there. 

From The  Associated Press and MSN

Vietnam locks down its 3rd-largest city as virus cases grow

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) — Vietnam on Tuesday locked down its third-largest city for two weeks after 15 cases of COVID-19 were found in a hospital, the government said.

The new cases in the central city of Da Nang are the first confirmed to be locally transmitted in the country in over three months.

Public transport into and out of Da Nang was canceled. Over the weekend, thousands of mostly Vietnamese tourists cut short their summer holidays in the popular beach destination. The lockdown has dealt a hard blow to the city’ tourism industry, which was just being revived after earlier coronavirus cases mostly subsided at the end of April.

Hotel guests quickly ended their stays and canceled upcoming trips upon the news of the first case, one hotelier said on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

“Our hotel is now empty,” the hotelier said. “But we had to help our guests leave the city when they still had the opportunity yesterday.”

Da Nang beaches, which host some 50,000 people a day, are now closed. Only security personnel were seen on the beaches Tuesday as they patrolled to ensure no one was gathering.

Authorities estimated several thousand people would be stranded by the transportation shutdown and asked hotels to shelter them.

“We did not want to rush to the airport to leave the city because of the risk of being in a crowded place. So we are now stuck here,” said Lien Nguyen, who is traveling with her family of four for their summer vacation.

On Sunday, the government ordered unessential business to close and required people to practice social distancing in the city of 1.1 million people.

All 15 cases in the new outbreak are patients and health workers at Da Nang hospital.

With the new infections, Vietnam has reported 431 cases of COVID-19 without a death.

It had recorded no local transmissions of the virus since April, with all new cases coming from overseas. Vietnam on Tuesday dispatched an aircraft to Equatorial Guinea to repatriate 129 workers who have COVID-19, the health ministry said.

Look at the news from Australia , Serbia , Spain and Belgium , number of new cases increasing rapidly again . In the USA 60-70 K new cases every day . Numbers in the Central and Latin American countries are skyrocketing . Far East Asian contries surprisingly did a very god job to control the spread of the disease until now , but the numbers in the Philippines and Indonesia even in Malaysia seem to be increasing faster than before . Flu season starts in September for Northern hemisphere . So unfortunately I am not expecting so many changes for this winter ... We probably will continue to live in our new normal way until an effective vaccine is available . Hope I am wrong and you can have a safe trip to Bali and Bangkok in December . 

From The Thaiger

All foreigners will have to serve 14 day quarantine “in the foreseeable future” – Minister

Thailand’s Minister of Tourism and Sports, Pipat Ratchakitprakan, is reassuring Thais by explaining that all foreigners, regardless of their status or origins, will have to serve a mandatory 14 day quarantine, at least “in the foreseeable future”.

Thailand officials are currently prepares phase six of the re-opening of the country, loosening the restrictions imposed in April when the country closed its borders and went into a ‘lockdown’. The next phase, posed for introduction in early August, will allow migrant workers, film production crews and Thailand Elite Visa holders to return to the country amongst other categories that have previously been approved for a return to the country.

The Minister’s comments follow announcements yesterday that Vietnam is ‘evacuating’ 80,000 people from the central coastal city of Da Nang after a new cluster of community spread cases and the accelerating rise of new cases across parts of the world, notably, India, Russia, US, South American countries and South Africa. And small 2nd waves that have arisen in places like Singapore, Japan, Spain, Hong Kong and Australia.

Thailand has recorded no locally transmitted cases of Covid-19 for over 2 months. But it does continue to identify newly infected Thai repatriates who have flown back from overseas. All are being identified whilst serving their 14 day quarantine.

His comments also pour cold water on the proposed “travel bubbles” indicating that they will be shelved until later this year, if they’re introduced at all. The Thai government, under the leadership of the Covid-19 Centre for Situation Administration, has shown itself to be extremely risk-averse when it comes to its ongoing handling of the Covid-19 pandemic and has publicly said it is putting public health ahead of reviving its economy.

I can pitched in the recent increases in malaysia's cases, with multiple new clusters, the biggest one was in a hospital where the first index case was a cleaner. The hospital are closed now, all employees and close contacts are being tested and traced. The state now under restriction movement (divided the state into two zone, red zone and green zone, no movement between these two zones except with police permission).

Main culprit of these recents increase in local transmission has been due to malaysia's decision to allow home quarantine for returnees and those coming in with work permits. Scores of them arent adhering to home quarantine and have been seen eating out, doing groceries etc when they are not supposed to be out. I have seen one such incident myself. I can go on about how the home quarantine procedure and it is a bit flawed too with trust put on the citize  and no active enforcement. Anyway, the gov has introduced again quarantine in center/hotel again now, and its not going to be free like before. Mask has been made mandatory for the first time here too starting Aug 1st. Today we got 39 new cases, 11 imported cases, 28 local transmission. 

I guess at least for us, this recent hike is definitely not something to be taken lightly. And until majority of the countries in the world has the virus under control, i dont see us opening up our borders soon. 

As Russia announces it will have a vaccine ready by mid August, disturbing news from Hong Kong. With its third wave mushrooming , there is fear that the vaccine has mutated to become more easily transmittable. 

Local scientists have voiced fears that a strain of the virus circulating in Hong Kong could cause greater damage. 

It is said to have not mutated for at least 22 days, meaning it could have adapted well to humans, becoming easier to transmit.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53575875

On 7/28/2020 at 9:46 AM, Gaybutton said:

One of the potential problems for gay holiday makers is whether there will still be enough gay venues in business to make travel to Thailand even worthwhile at all.

I do think so. Some may close permanently but if there is a market they will return. Too many people visiting to not take advantage. I heard Sunee Plaza was closing for 20 years. Still here but maybe not in its former glory but holding on.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

I heard Sunee Plaza was closing for 20 years. Still here but maybe not in its former glory but holding on.

The only life in Sunee is Nice Boys and Winner Bar (go go clubs); and Diamond, Green and One Bar.  But the go-go bars do offer boys on stage and inexpensive drinks which is a plus.

Just need some more customers! 

On 8/1/2020 at 10:27 AM, Boy69 said:

The glory days of Sunee Plaza was  2003 - 2008 approx it was really one of the best gay scene in the world , I was very sad once it was over :(

I would certainly echo that statement Boy69 with the slight amendment to 2001 - 2008. 2001 was when I discovered Thailand and made my first trip to Pattaya having up to then spent holidays in Playa des Anglais (Gran Canaria). Myself and a gay friend took a few days to hear about Sunee And locate it but when we did we took advantage of its vibrant scene of gogos, bars and of course the boys.

31 minutes ago, williewillie said:

The Chinese market is paramount to Thailand..  The Chinese will be first country allowed in, along the the neighboring countries

with land borders.  The USA will be last country allowed in along with Brazil.

Taiwan & China might be the first countries the Thai government would like to allow in, based on covid stats.   As you suggest, it's sensible to allow visitors from countries with low infection rates.   

However, it's a 2 way issue, as Taiwan & China need to allow their citizens to travel under reasonable terms.    The last time I looked, China had 14 day quarantine for all inbound travellers.   I'm not sure if they've added any exemptions yet. 

On the other hand, I believe Germany (for example), allows people to go from Thailand to Germany with no restrictions at all.    So if Thailand reciprocated, they might start generating some business there.  

What I would love to know how are hotels in Thailand doing? And other tourist related sectors, like massage places?

How do the owners and people who work there pay for their rent and food without income? That I would love to know. How is this done?

Many hotels must be on the verge of bankruptcy. Shouldn’t that be enough of a trigger to restart tourism?

From The Nation

Thailand lifts barriers for more foreigners

Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman for the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said on Monday (August 3) that more types of foreigners will be allowed to return to Thailand, such as:

• Foreigners who hold a residential permit as well as their spouse and children;

• Foreigners who hold a work permit and their spouse and children, as well as migrant workers who hold official documents allowing them to stay and work in Thailand;

• Foreigners granted entry under special agreements, such as Thailand Elite cardholders.

These groups are required to follow the Public Health Ministry’s measures strictly and spend 14 days at an alternative state quarantine site.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand confirmed these measures.

======================================================================================

From ThiaVisa News and Bangkok Insight

Thailand must welcome back Chinese tourists now says leading tourism chief

A leading tourism chief has said that it is time Thailand opens up again to foreign tourists and Chinese tourists in particular.

The pandemic has left the Chinese largely friendless around the world and it's time that Thailand's "special relationship" with the Chinese was resumed.

But it is also time that the Thais get more of their hands on the tourism dollar and not let cash seep out of the country.

Surawat Akaraworamat, the secretary general of the Tourism Council of Thailand and vice president of ATTA was speaking at a seminar about Thai tourism and the economy.

He said that if Thailand opened up its airspace the Chinese would come in good numbers. There was no need for a high level of marketing. They know very well about Thailand and would flood back in.

Surawat said it was time for those in tourism areas to be asked their opinions about reopening the country.

But Surawat said it was time for the Thais to review how to ensure that more tourism revenue stays in the country and does not flow abroad.

He was referring to companies - many of them Chinese owned or owned in Thailand through proxies - who are involved in organising group tours.

Much of the money ends up abroad and not in the hands of Thais.

This needs to be addressed, he said at the seminar, particularly in the booking of accommodation.