reader

Brit climbs down 6 floors to escape Pattaya condo fire

NOTE -- Few older condos in Thailand have automatic fire sprinklers.

From Pattaya Mail

Pattaya-News-3-Jan-01-06-Brit-escapes-Pa

British expat John Christopher escaped his burning Jomtien Beach condominium by climbing over the sixth-floor balcony.

A British expat escaped his burning Jomtien Beach condominium by climbing over the sixth-floor balcony.

John Christopher, 50, suffered only minor injuries in his high-rise maneuver after fire destroyed his Park Lane Jomtien Resort unit Jan. 1. No other injuries were reported.

Christopher said he was on the phone with his wife when the fire began in the kitchen and spread quickly. With the front door blocked by flames, he went over the balcony railing and climbed down.

Other condos on upper floors suffered smoke and heat damage.

What they could have written:

"Careless Brit Sets Condo Block Ablaze and Climbs Off The Balcony."

"Not known if he had the balls to try and use a fire extinguisher"

"Was incapable of simple organisation like using google calendar to prompt regular checks of the smoke alarm"

How many of us attempt to test the smoke alarm (providing our hotel or condo has one) after we check in? Post pandemic I'd been staying in a condo convenient to Silom for all my visits.  I discovered early on that the building's entire fire alarm system was out of order. For about 600 bht I brought a detector at Home Pro and put it on a shelf in the unit. I'd leave it with a friend when I go home and he'd bring it back when I returned. We both slept better, I think.

We all arrive with much higher priorities. Taking a few minutes to test the detector with a push of the button is worth the inconvenience. You may well find a dead battery that can be easily replaced.

We take time to check room amenities. Why not add this one to the list?

Good point.   I'd assumed it was his own condo.

The place I'm renting has several alarms in the corridor, but none in my apartment.  Cooking facilities are limited to a microwave, so I think I can avoid starting any thermal incidents.

12 hours ago, z909 said:

Good point.   I'd assumed it was his own condo.

The place I'm renting has several alarms in the corridor, but none in my apartment.  Cooking facilities are limited to a microwave, so I think I can avoid starting any thermal incidents.

you should be safe easily , don't forget that this unlucky guy was talking to his WIFE. I don't think it applies to too many of us here