Guest straycat

Thailand Coup

Currently the situation in Thailand is up in the air. All TV programming has been taken offline with the exception of the Thai stations, which are playing a constant loop of photos and music in tribute to the King. Today has been called a national holiday and all banks and government offices are closed.

Tanks are in the streets in Bangkok and traffic is closely monitored.

There have been rumors of this coup for weeks. It came as no shock to anyone that lives in Thailand. The Thai people I have spoken to are happy about this and not sad. I do not think many realize the impact it may have.

Recently, the government issued new orders for tourists arriving on a Visa On Demand. They have limited those to 90 days within any 180 days. This means the boarder runs for someone to live here permanently are now finished. However, who knows what will happen with this policy now.

The military has been called to action and the people are being told this will not last long.

The US government advices people not to visit here till things settle down. They do not recommend that visitors that are currently in Thailand leave. This may change.

People currently have access to the Internet. As all TV and Satellite are offline, I am not sure how long Internet will last.

As I can't sit in front of CNN today, I am off to the beach. ^_^ Hey, what else can I do? ^_^

• Members

Thanks for the info. I don't understand the "Visa on demand". How is it different than the past when no visa was required?

I had planned to visit during the Christmas holidays. Guess I'll put buying any tickets on Hold. :-(

This could really hurt their economy I would think.

People from USA are allowed to enter Thailand without a Visa for 30 days. If you stay longer, you need to either go to the Immigration Office and request an extension or go to another country to get another 30 days. You are only allowed to do this for 90 days now. Previously, you were able to do it indefinitely. If you stay is less than 90 days, you have no problem. However, you will not be able to return to Thailand for another 90 days without going to a Thai Embassy or Consulate and pay for a Visa stamp. That is often a 60 days stamp.

The new law is really only aimed at keeping people from living and working here without the proper documentation.

This does not affect me, as I don't stay here on Tourist Visa for more than 30 days.

It does not affect anyone over 50 who want to live here as they can easily get a retirement visa.

It does not affect business owners as they can apply for a work permit.

It does not affect those have money as they can buy a special Thai Elite Card.

It does effect those that are under 50 and want to live here year round.

www.thaivisa.com and the forums there are the best source for visa info.

I hope this helps. And, yes, you do need to come here in Dec.

^_^

• Members

Hi KY,

I have talked to many people in Thiland and see no reason for you to change your plans for Xmas. Things are completely normal in the tourist areas and once the King speaks any unrest will end.

I leave in 19 days for Thailand and i am not the least bit worried. of course i will montor current events and continue to converse with people, in case there are any changes.

Xmas in Thailand the only place to be. Plus just imagine all the sad faces of those boys who brighten up when they hear you are coming!!!!

Firecat

>Just remember Sherman...

>

>"I will not run if nominated, I will not serve if

>elected."

Wasn't that comedian Pat Paullson? :9

(Anyone remember the Smothers Brothers show?)

>If she's any relation to Mae West, she sounds like a fun

>gal.

They are sisters. With your encyclopedic knowledge of history, I am shocked you did not know this. See, I once said you learn something new every day. ^_^ Today you learned about the West and I learned about the Smuckers Brothers. ^_^

• Members

Any update on what is going on there. The US media doesn't seem to report much. I've got most of my info from the BBC and it does sound good to me. United Airlines has been allowing cancelations on Bangkok flights, with no penalties since the coup.

How is the nightlife? Are the bars still open and is there still a curfew?

There are no updates because nothing exciting is happening whatsoever. Everything is open as usual, no curfews, no nothing. You would never know anything had happened at all.