Buddy2

Is Jim McGreevey A Gay Role Model?

• Members

I saw ex-NJ Governor Jim McGreevey speak earlier this week at an event sponsored (sort of) by the University of Pennsylvania (Penn) LBGT association.

The professor who introduced McGreevey seemed torn as to what to say. The audience (fully of great looking male students) was very friendly during the Q&A. Many bought his book and got McGreevey's signature. There were no tough questions, perhaps because McGreevey admitted up front that he would still be in the closet but for Golan Cipel.

In preparation I saw McGreevey on Larry King's show last week. McGreevey came off well. At Penn, he gave a rambling 20-minute talk, which most ex- politicians would have done betterl. He just isn't a very good speaker.

I just do not believe that his second wife was unaware that McGreevey was gay or that Golan Cipel was the only aide with whom he slept. I know what it's like to be in the closet, so I'm wondering why I don't have more sympathy

for the man. It would have helped if McGreevey had come across as something more than a political hack at Penn.

Any thoughts?

I agree. I saw him interviewed a few times. I find him repellant. What's with all the Catholic and bible references? I think every word he utters has beed focus group tested for his return to politics. Is he donating the money from the book to an Aids charity?

• Members

Yes, someone who saw Jim McGreevey on Oprah remarked on all his

spiritual references. Someone must have told me to cool it or he thought that's what Oprah wanted to hear. McGreevey only mentioned religion once at Penn and that was to say he and his partner attend an Episcopal Church in New York City.

The only good thing I can say about McGreevey is that he is probably telling the truth about the 'affair' with Golan Cioel. Cipel, who seems even more in the closet than McGreevey, denies being gay or ever having sex with the ex-governor.

I find him a sad example of what damage being closeted does to people and their families, and the ugly choices people have to face. Even so, I think you can hide your sexuality from a lot of people, but if you marry a woman under false pretenses, you've gone way over the line.

I would be much more understanding if I really knew that his wife knew and was ok with it. somehow I doubt they were that honest with each other.

• Members

I definitely don't consider him a role model. Giving your lover an important job he is not qualified for, is nothing to brag about. But I do feel there are many lessions for straights and gays in his story. Being a high profile person and still remaining in the closet and how that affects your actions, judgements, and the lives of others around you.

Guest StuCotts

I have all possible sympathy for anyone who has felt obliged to live a double life while occupying a very visible position. But as a gay role model McGreevey would need to have accomplishments to his credit that can be held up for emulation. Nothing in the public record about his period in office or time since he quit meets that standard.

While the closeted gay angle of the Jim McGreevey story makes for a great cautionary tale, one must keep in mind that McGreevey and his administration were mired in many ethical scandals, not just the Golan Cipel situation. In my opinion, McGreevey came out when and how he did (alleging Cipel was blackmailing him) in order to portray himself as a victim of the closet and society's homophobia, instead of what he really was, and still seems to be: yet another overambitious politician willing to cut ethical corners to access the halls of power.

Cheerily, Ben

http://www.men4rentnow.com/ds/search.asp?c...40&Login=Ben_LA

Years ago when I was a journalist in New Jersey I knew McGreevey and everyone "knew" he was gay even though he was still in the closet.

I think that when he was married he covered it up by pretending to be into "cuckolding" things (i.e. watching his wife have sex with other men. His wife thought he was watching her, when he was really checking out the dude.)

As to him being a role model? Call me crazy, but lying to your wife, losing your job and putting your boy toy on the state payroll is hardly what I would call a role model.

An out gay Governor would certainly be a role model.

The only message teenage gays would get from Jimmy is "stay in the closet and you can have a great job, but if you are honest and come out you'll lose your job."

Not exactly the best message to be sent to young gay boys.

Shit, Lohan is a better gay role model.