TotallyOz

Tipping Guide for Brazil

Restaurants - Most include a service charge to the bill of 10-15%. If this is included, there is no need to leave more.

Taxis- It is not necessary to pay any more than the exact value of the fare.

Hotel Staff- Bellboy 5-10R, Doorman Valet 5-10R, Housekeeper 5-10R. I find that these people are the most important in the hotel. I also often find that tipping my housekeep daily that I end up with extra flowers, etc. that makes my stay more enjoyable.

Sauna Boy - 20 R bare minimum if they are good. Remember that a Big and Tasty meal at McDonald's cost 13R. If a guy is VERY good, tip accordingly. I don't want to be accused again of destroying the Brazilian economy like I was last year, so I won't say my true feelings on this. ^_^ If someone is amazing, tip him what you think the value is to you. ^_^

Towel Boy - I often tip 5R for the towel boy and ask them to keep an eye on my locker.

Bartender- If I go to a Disco, I will often leave a tip with the bartender of 5R. When I do this the first time, they always come straight to me when there is a huge crowd. It makes life easier.

Doormen - Most doormen at the bars and discos will take a tip to let you in so you don't have to stand in line. If I am with a group, I find that 50R gets the entire group in fast.

These are ONLY suggestions. Do what you feel is right and what you are comfortable with.

I do find it appropriate to tip a taxi driver if he provides you additional service. One who deleivered me with suitcase and all to Lagoa for a foind farewell before my 10:30 flight agreed to meet me outside Lagoa at a prescribed time to go to GRU.

I felt he went the extra mile and gave him a 20R tip upon conclusion of the trip to the airport.