Gaybutton

Gay Cops Verboten in the Philippines

The following appears in THE NATION:

_____

Gay Philippine Police Told Not to Camp It Up

Manila - Philippine police were on the defensive Friday after gay cops were warned they could be sacked for swinging their hips or engaging in flamboyant behaviour.

"The Philippine national police does not have a policy that discriminates against gays and lesbians. In short, all its policies are issued for everybody regardless of sex or creed," police spokesman chief superintendent Samuel Pagdilao said.

But he warned that "being a uniformed service, there are rules of conduct that apply to everybody for which violations may result in administrative charges for conduct unbecoming."

Earlier in the week Pagdilao said gays in the police could be fired if they "sway their hips while marching" or "engage in lustful conduct."

Danton Remoto, of Ang Ladlad, a gay and lesbian group, said the remarks "deepened the stereotype of gay men."

"His remarks will only force gay policemen back into the closet," he said.

Pagdilao told reporters he had never heard of any Philippine policeman being gay anyway.

Agence France Presse

I'm picturing the following scene:

Police Chief: Come in, Sergeant. Sit down.

Sgt: Yes sir. Good morning. You wanted to see me?

Police Chief: Yes, I did. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but I'm afraid I have to terminate your employment.

Sgt: What? I'm being fired? But why? I've been on the force for fifteen years and I have a flawless record. What have I done?

Police Chief: Well, you were swinging your hips a little too much. Very sorry, but you have to go. Just leave your gun and your badge on my desk on your way out. And don't forget to let me know if I can be of any help in your future endeavors.

Guest shockdevil

Being a Civil Servant is a very serious and important role. I am pretty sure when they applied for the position, entered into boot camp (or equivalent) and accepting their post, they were neither swaying their hips nor acting highly effeminate. I agree that being a gay does not mean that a man have to be effeminate.

Personally, I expect to see uniformed officers of the law (male and female) being very serious and conservative. Anything else gives an unprofessional appearance and can lead someone to believe that they do not take their role seriously.

I hope this rule applies to both straight and gay alike.