Guest BKKvisitor

Caution Urged at Internet Cafes

Guest BKKvisitor

This notice is posted on Ting and Tong board by CurlyEye. It originated by administrator at Thai Ebay site. Not only is key logging a threat. Be alert to users seated beside you or lurking behind you.

-----------------------

It has come to our attention that your on-line security maybe compromised if you access, not only your Thaibay account, but any of your internet accounts, via link-ups in internet cafes.

There are numerous alerts and concerns that have recently been raised about some internet cafes using key-logging software. This is effectively a 'recorder' that stores all key-strokes made on any given machine. The owner can then look over their records for 'user names', 'passwords' and god forbid, 'bank account/credit card details'. So, we would like to warn all of our customers, NEVER to access any of your accounts from a machine that you don't have complete faith in.

Use your best judgement and a bit of common sense and you should be fine.

Technical advice:

If you would like to know what software is active on the machine you are using, press 'Ctrl' + 'Alt' + 'Delete' (all at the same time). The machine's inventory will pop-up in the 'Task Manager' window. If any of the items are named: 'Logger', 'Log', 'redorder', 'keystroke' etc etc etc, avoid usage at all costs. winlogon.exe is not a threat.

Be safe, be sure

Kind regards

The Thaibay Safety Centre

http://www.thaibay.biz/displaynews.php?id=12

You should also delete the cache. Another problem is that some keylogger programs out there are sophisticated enough that they won't appear on the task manager. However, following the above advice is about the best you can do.

Unfortunately you are right. I know 1 program that totally hides and you can't see it unless it is activated by certain key stroke. It won't show in the task manager.

I also know an other way where people just attach an external plug between the Keyboard and the computer , that records all key stroke at any given time. People can't see it or can't realize there is an other piece there, as it just looks like any keyboard plugs.

Your best bet is to use your own computer.. I don't trust those internet cafe shop at all.

All good comments.

Key Logger

I would not use an internet cafe for accessing financial accounts or making purchases with a credit card.

With wireless internet spots more and more available, carrying my laptop has proven to be very pratical.

Guest wowpow

Don't most banks now have ways to avoid a key logger getting your details? My Citibank account has a little typewriter pop up onscreen and you click the number up on that but only stars appear in the box. With my Nationwide Bank they ask for random numbers/letters of the password to be put in and again asterisks appear to foil any peepers. Most Western banks will insure you against fraud but Thai banks don't.

Keeping your name and credit card number secret is almost impossible. Every time you use it to pay you are giving out the details. You should ensure that you card issuer covers you for any fraudulent use. Many Thai banks cards do not have such insurances. I see that some places in Thailand are requiring pin numbers for credit cards now.

Don't most banks now have ways to avoid a key logger getting your details?

key loggers are old hat - the latest malware grabs the data from the browser just before it is encrypted and transmitted so it does not matter how it was entered!

bkkguy

Guest wowpow

I was afraid of something like that being announced. It always seems to be banks playing catchup to the latest ways to breach security.

Nowadays I don't use internet shops for access to bank accounts or for purchasing by credit card.

I have been using Internet banking for about 16 years and have accessed accounts from around the world without problem. I have not heard from any friends who have had problems in this regard. I wonder how prevalent this is.

On the other hand credit card fraud seems fairly common and many have had situations where their accounts have been charged with goods that they have not purchased. It happened to me once. My credit card was refused and I found that my credit card security were alerted when I used the card in Bangkok at midday and in Seoul at 1 p.m. where a load of HiFi was bought - about 155,000 baht. My bank replaced this money and sent me a new card - to my UK address. I have no idea how my name and number were obtained.

The other thing that I hear happening is that Thai takes a farang ATM card and get access to the account even though they don't have the PIN? One American friend got the money refunded even though the thief was a departing boyfriend.