TotallyOz

New Larger Amazon Kindle

I have the Kindle 2 and absolutely love it. It lets me make the print as large as I want. The battery last forever. I think I read 4 books on the last charge. The technology is great. On Wednesday, Amazon announced the latest version of the Kindle with the larger screen. I purchased a new one as well.

I love that I can have up to 6 Kindles on my account and that all the books I buy, can be on all of them so my family and I can share all the books. The most I have paid is 9.99 for a book.

As you see, I am singing the praises of this device!

• Members

I'd considered purchasing a Kindle, but just can't bring myself to pay for anything that is DRM-locked. Apple finally realized that wasn't the way to go for music--buying books for $10/ea that I can't give or lend, or potentially use on a different device in the future just doesn't appeal.

The PDF support is a nice step in the right direction, but that they're not making it available to all Kindle 2 owners kinda sucks.

You can download newspapers. I know the Times and a few others came out with specials at the time of the new Kindle launch. I am not sure of the Wall Street Journal. The lead man at Amazon is pretty fucking smart. He thinks every paper is going to join in once he gets many hooked.

On another note, I am sure you read about Murdoch who is going to start charging for online content within the next year.

• Members

Yeah, for an avid newspaper reader it may make the most sense, especially the big one.

http://tinyurl.com/qtsprp

--They do have the Wall Street Journal. $9.99/mo +the price of the Kindle... good news is you get it wirelessly wherever you are.

I'm more a magazine guy and the screen isn't nearly the same experience. The most interesting thing in the last issue of Wired I read was a picture of a brain... I stared at that in disgusting full color for several minutes, transfixed, wouldn't have glanced twice at a 16-grayscale image of it.

• Members
On another note, I am sure you read about Murdoch who is going to start charging for online content within the next year.

Heh, posting at the same time. You hear about Murdock's NY paper losing over 20% of its readership?

• Members

For those who would like to save a few bucks and don't mind downloading the books, etc. via USB on their computer, I highly recommend the 1150 as found on ebookwise.com. It has some features not found on Kindle and is missing some that are. You just have to see if it fits your sensibilities.

It is easy to use, easy to carry around and the battery lasts a very reasonable time.

Best regards,

RA1

Guest EXPAT

The Kindle Application is a good one, but I hate having yet another "device". So when the app became available for the iPhone, I downloaded it and bought my first book. It's a great way to carry a book around with you and it's right there on your iPhone when you need something to read. And yes, you can make the print as large as you want AND you only have to have ONE device for everything.