Guest lurkerspeaks

Last Minute Rio Recommendations??

Guest lurkerspeaks

Ok.. In just 15 days, I leave for a week in Rio..How about any last minute recommendations from some recent visitors... Restaurants, clubs, garatos (preferably young, slim, not overly muscled) and any other must see's or must do's...We will be staying at the Atlantico Copacabana (thanks again to Drey at gaytravelbrazil)..We arrive on Wednesday the 18th and depart on Tues the 24th)...I imagine we will spend much of our evenings at 117 and Meio Mundo, with an occasional stop at 227..Of course Corujinha's is a must stop for a late dinner, but please guys, we want more "hot spots"...I want to go to a good Churrascaria. Last year we tried one that was between the Atlantico and the beach. It was good, but we want a better one this year..Also, does anyone have any recommendations for tour operators? I want to do the usual touristy sites like Christ the redeemer, sugarloaf and a rainforest..Do you recommend doing those trips on your own (taxi/bus) or taking an arranged tour? My travel companion feels confident he can help us navigate our own way. How about the helicopter tour? I am not the best when it comes to heights...would this be good or bad? what is the cost for the helicopter tour???? where do you get it at???

Thanks.. and I will be sure to post my adventures..

One of the most popular restaurants is Marius http://www.marius.com.br/2009/ , It is located about a mile up the beach from the copacabana Palace in the north end(Leme) Very good for either seafood or meat! Somewhat pricey by Rio standards but worth it! If there are more than 4 of you I would get reservations, it is very popular. Otherwise, the restaurants on the street Farme de Amoedo(where the gay beach is) in Ipanema, two blocks in from the beach, are very good, there are about a dozen of them within two blocks and they are Very Gay friendly, as that is a "gay" area. Bar de Beto, Mio, Galitos are three on the same block that I recommend. but as you walk the street all of them have open air windows and you can check out the crowd, there is a new one, a TexMex place next to Bar de Beto that is good also.

And if you want one of the best brunches anywhere in the world and want to Impress someone, do the Sunday Brunch at the Copacabana Palace, ask for a table by the pool. It is about $45.per person U.S., but sooo worth it!!

For Sugarloaf, just take a taxi there. there are many taxis waiting when you come back down. When you get to the top, go towards the back away from the building/vendors and there are stairs down the side, walk those down and you will see marmosets(monkeys)very close up.

The rainforest jeep tour is good and you will get some great views during it. Book it thru the hotel desk, they all use the same service. Do the morning tour!!! the afternoon one in a open air jeep can be Really hot and humid!! the morning one starts at 9:00 but usually they take 6 people so they may stop at a couple of other hotels along the way. The morning one is good as most vacationers are ready to head off that early and your chances of only having two other people in your jeep are good.

For clubbing, LeBoy is dying a slow death. the one to go to is "The Week" http://www.theweek.com.br/2008/galeria_rj.php it is in Centro and only go on Sat. nights. You will recognize alot of the sauna boys there.

Tomcal,

What makes this Brunch not-too-miss?

First the location, the Copacabana Palace is a Landmark in Rio! it's where the Presidents and Celebrities stay(at least the ones over 50!) It's a historic hotel, similiar to the Breakers Hotel in Palm Beach. The Champangne Brunch has everything from Mounds of Iced Shrimp to homemade ice cream and everything in between, Oysters to brie, Omelette station to incredible dessert table!_

Guest fourjogran

Ok.. In just 15 days, I leave for a week in Rio..How about any last minute recommendations from some recent visitors... Restaurants, clubs, garatos (preferably young, slim, not overly muscled) and any other must see's or must do's...We will be staying at the Atlantico Copacabana (thanks again to Drey at gaytravelbrazil)..We arrive on Wednesday the 18th and depart on Tues the 24th)...I imagine we will spend much of our evenings at 117 and Meio Mundo, with an occasional stop at 227..Of course Corujinha's is a must stop for a late dinner, but please guys, we want more "hot spots"...I want to go to a good Churrascaria. Last year we tried one that was between the Atlantico and the beach. It was good, but we want a better one this year..Also, does anyone have any recommendations for tour operators? I want to do the usual touristy sites like Christ the redeemer, sugarloaf and a rainforest..Do you recommend doing those trips on your own (taxi/bus) or taking an arranged tour? My travel companion feels confident he can help us navigate our own way. How about the helicopter tour? I am not the best when it comes to heights...would this be good or bad? what is the cost for the helicopter tour???? where do you get it at???

Thanks.. and I will be sure to post my adventures..

I arranged tours to go to Corcovado(Christ the Redeemer), Sugar Loaf and the forest. Arranged at the hotel and worked out well. No hassle. Had great guides. Really enjoyed the tours.

Guest lurkerspeaks

Can someone refresh my memory.. which subway stop should we take to get to meio mundo? I remember what to do once we get up to the street, just can't remember the name of the exit.. Thanks