photo from the airport

IPB Image

MUST SHOW

1. PASSPORT

2. IMMIGRATION FORM

Arrivals and Departure Card

3 BOARDING PASS

4 RETURN TICKET, E-TICKET

The situation is developing as this old rule becomes erratically applied. The latest is this confusing sign at the new airport - it does not mention that it is for those without a visa and so will worry many. The good news is that they don't ask everyone for sight of their outward ticket and waving a paper at the official seems to be all that is required in most cases.

The Cambodian border Immigration seem to be applying the rule a lot.

The Airlines have cottoned onto the fact that the rule is occasionally being applied and there are instances of Jetstarasia refusing boardings.

There seems to be no confirmation that tickets to exit Thailand by bus, rail or boat are acceptable.

The situation seems to be getting more confusing as rules are applied erratically. For peace of mind I guess that following the rules is the best way.

Guest kenrfc

.... The good news is that they don't ask everyone for sight of their outward ticket and waving a paper at the official seems to be all that is required in most cases.

Sorry folks. Just came back from Thailand and I can assure you they ARE asking everyone for thier onward ticket and LOOKING at what you give them. Luckily I had my e-ticket in my pocket because this was a surprise to me. There was a lot of fumbling in bags by other visitors also. Didn't notice anyone being pulled out of line for not having documents but I wasn't paying too much attention.

Im talking here about the 30 day visa on arrival at Suvannabumi.

As far as I know, the only time an outward-bound ticket is not required is when you are in Thailand on a long-term visa, such as the retirement visa, and you are re-entering Thailand with that visa.

Just make sure that if you have such a visa and are going to leave Thailand, that you either have a multiple entry visa or a re-entry permit. Without either one of those, if you exit Thailand your visa becomes null and void and you're back on the thirty-day arrival visa. You might have a second surprise that you don't want if you don't have an outward-bound ticket. You would not only lose your visa, but would also be denied entry into Thailand.

The reason they are being much more stringent about checking is because there have been more and more problems with foreigners entering Thailand who have no intention of leaving Thailand. These are the people who used to get by with entering Thailand on a thirty-day visa on arrival, and then just making visa runs every month to renew the thirty days. Thailand wants to put a stop to that, and I think rightly so. "Farang" living in Thailand with legitimate visas pay for those visas. People who were making the monthly visa runs were circumventing the system and paying nothing other than the cost of making the visa run. It was a loophole they have now plugged.

So, now those who enter Thailand with the intention of staying in Thailand illegally have to at least have purchased an outward-bound ticket. Whether they use that ticket is their own problem.

Guest fountainhall

Prior to starting the retirement visa process a couple of years ago, I always came into Thailand on a 30 day ' on arrival' visa. And with tickets here being cheaper than most other Asian countries, I would purchase them here and so arrive using the return sector. Over some 25 years and at least 100 visits, I was only asked twice for proof of an outward ticket - once by Cathay Pacific in Hong Kong, the other by British Airways in Sydney. In both cases, I argued successfully to be allowed on the plane. I guess that is now not going to be possible, unless you always have an open ticket in your travel wallet (expensive!). Mind you, with the baht's recent strengthening, tickets here are not the bargain they used to be.

Guest wowpow

"As far as I know, the only time an outward-bound ticket is not required is when you are in Thailand on a long-term visa, such as the retirement visa, and you are re-entering Thailand with that visa." Gaybutton

From reading the rules, such as they are, it seems that it is only the 30 day no visa permission and the 15 day Visa on arrival that require an onward ticket to exit Thailand within the period allowed to visit.. No visa holder should have anything to worry about. A visa is a permission to visit the country.

Guest davidjewel

Sorry folks. Just came back from Thailand and I can assure you they ARE asking everyone for thier onward ticket and LOOKING at what you give them. Luckily I had my e-ticket in my pocket because this was a surprise to me. There was a lot of fumbling in bags by other visitors also. Didn't notice anyone being pulled out of line for not having documents but I wasn't paying too much attention.

Im talking here about the 30 day visa on arrival at Suvannabumi.

I arrived in Thailand 2 weeks ago on a 30 day visa on arrival at the new airport. The ARE checking everyone to see that you have an onward/outbound ticket. I had an E-Ticket so did not have my return ticket in hand. Fortuneately I carried a printed itinary showing my arrival and departure. I showed this and was allowed to enter the country. The sign is posted everywhere at immigration, you must show your onward/outbound in order to enter the country. The only exception I saw was one gentleman who I knew carried a retirement visa.

Guest Trongpai

A few weeks ago I entered Thailand from Hong Kong and I have an O-A visa and a re-entry visa. I was asked three times at three different locations for my boarding pass and copy of a return ticket. First at the gate getting off the plane, then after exiting the jet-way and at passport control. At the first two stations I had to show my re-entry visa since I did not have a return or on-ward travel ticket.

At the first two locations the person checking had to ask if this was OK. There was a discussion and I was allowed to pass. The first two were not immigrations officals, not sure who they were but appeared to be seperate enties with no cross communication.

This was new then, maybe now they have the routine down and will stop with the over kill.