Guest wowpow

Insurgency atrocities surge

Guest wowpow

Three killed, 13 schools burned in southern Thailand

Three Muslim men were gunned down while separatist insurgents set fire to 13 schools in Thailand's Muslim-majority south.

Two men were killed in separate drive-by shootings late Wednesday and mid-day Thursday (local time) in Yala, one of three insurgency-hit provinces bordering Malaysia.

In neighbouring Narathiwat, gunmen killed a 54-year-old local government official in an ambush on his motorcycle early Thursday.

Thirteen soldiers were later injured by a bomb near a football field in Pattani province, leaving four of them in serious condition.

A bomb also exploded near a Narathiwat vocational college, injuring a soldier.

The blast came after insurgents torched 13 schools in almost simultaneous arson attacks in Yala and Pattani provinces late Wednesday.

The latest arson attacks brought the number of schools torched by rebels to 200, while 77 teachers have been killed in the three-year insurgency, according to education officials in the region.

Teachers and schools are often targeted by insurgents, who see them as trying to impose Buddhist Thai values on the Muslim and ethnic Malay region.

More than 2,200 people have been killed and thousands more wounded in separatist violence that erupted in the south in January 2004.

The violence has escalated despite peace-building measures by the military-installed government which came to power following a coup in September 2006.

The region was once an autonomous sultanate, until the region was annexed by mainly Buddhist Thailand a century ago.

Separatist unrest has erupted there periodically ever since.

- AFP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200706/s1951844.htm

Guest ear wig

Quote from Gaybutton:- I have yet to understand why the insurgents attack schools and teachers. We read about schools being torched and teachers being killed quite regularly. Why? I don't get that part. What do they have against schools and teachers?end of quote?

I have come out of self Imposed retirement from this Forum to say I am flabber ghosted the man who tells us he knows just about everything about any thing and cant understand why Muslims would not want Schools to teach there Muslim children Buddhist indoctrinate.

It is obvious if you want to teach your children Muslim values, no matter what we think of it, of course you want to get rid of all the others to install there culture and indoctrination.

Guest wowpow

BBC World News said that the insurgents kill figures of any perceived authority such as head men, monks, policemen and teachers. Nobody seems sure why they do that or exactly what their aims are.

When you watch the news and see the horrors of the Palestinian situation, Iraq, and Afghanistan it makes one wonder how a religion can be twisted to make some of their people do such things.

Guest wowpow

International concern over South

Bangkok Post

New York (Agencies) -

A new generation of militant separatists is terrorising teachers and public schools in the deep South in a campaign to close down the entire state education system in the region, Human Rights Watch said on Friday.

This is part of a campaign by the Muslim militants to close down the entire state education system in the region.

Officials in Narathiwat province have been forced to close more than 300 government schools in all 13 districts this week after insurgents killed three teachers on Monday.

Human Rights Watch said it believed those responsible were separatist militants, because of a long pattern of similar attacks on government schools and teachers, along with continuing public threats.

"Insurgents are terrorising teachers and schools, which they consider symbols of the Thai state," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch, in a statement this morning (Thailand time). "These attacks are grave crimes and cannot be justified by any cause."....

Full article http://www.bangkokpost.net/topstories/tops...s.php?id=119457

I have come out of self Imposed retirement from this Forum to say I am flabber ghosted

Well, we certainly wouldn't want you to be "flabber ghosted."

How about pointing to any posting I have ever made - ever - in which I claimed to know "just about everything," since you think it is appropriate to say in your post that I have made such claims.