TotallyOz

Adventures, Distant Journeys and Charity

I recently rode in the San Francisco to Los Angeles AIDS ride. It was 550 miles total over 6 days. I wrote a blog and sent e-mails to friends each day and some pics along the way. Since the journey made it way to the Beach in Pattaya via the gossip queens, I thought I would post my adventure here for all to read. This is very long and perhaps very boring for most so be forewarned that this post may take a while. I also want to thank Stef and GayButton for manning the site more while I was away on this adventure.

After 2 months at the fat camp and over almost 4 months since, I have now lost 80 pounds. I am thrilled with my results and very happy with what I was able to accomplish. At the same time, I go back to my I have been lucky mantra. I have never had HIV or any STD. The disease has personally affected me as I have had MANY friends who have had it and some who have died from the disease.

When I first moved to NYC at age 27, I was on top of the world. I was moving there to finally live an openly gay life. My first week there I met a guy that I fell for. He and I were going to date and we spent a great deal of time together. Before our first real date, he sat me down and told me he was HIV. I was new to all this. It was the nineties and I had never met anyone with HIV. I didn't know what to do or what to say. We did not date or have sex. We did become best friends and to this day, he is one of the only people I have stayed in contact with for almost 15 years. I did go to my doctor to find out what HIV was and more about it. I remember one night at the Roxie and we were dancing and he wanted a drink of my water. I gave it to him and then did not drink any more. I knew I could not catch HIV this way but I was stupid and did not drink the water. That day has haunted me ever since. Every time I go to a dance club and someone drinks my water I have a flashback of this moment. It makes me sick to my stomach even to this day.

I found a sexy Brazilian boy and we fell in love. Well, I fell in love at least. I was with him for 3 months before he told me he was HIV positive. We had been having sex but with condoms. I again went to the doctor and found all I needed to know. I was so in love that I learned to cope with not only the disease but I found myself involved in a part of gay society that I knew nothing about. I found myself at the AIDS clinics and talking to doctors. I found myself volunteering for charities and cooking food for victims of the disease. I found time in my law schoolwork to assist with legal counsel for charities in NYC. He and I were together for 5 years. His Brazilian sex appeal is what turned me on to wanting to visit Brazil so often.

When I was in NYC, I ran a high end modeling agency and designed many websites that always needed sexy models. Part of my clients was very famous fashion designers my job was to get the handsome models for shows, photos shoots, etc. My lifestyle put me in contact with some very sexy boys who I had sex with. Some were just one on one and some were big orgies. Some of the guys I suspected were positive, some I knew were not and some I knew they were. I had sexual encounters with many of them and many others over the years. I have been the lucky one. I get tested 3 times a year and my results are always negative. I have never understood why I have been lucky and why others have not. I have seen many friends get tested and the results come back positive and bam, their whole life changes.

I am doing this ride for my last boyfriend. We were together for 5 years and he is now HIV positive. While he was negative the 5 years we were together, the breakup put him in uncharted waters. He got into drugs and unsafe sex. Within 6 months after we broke up, he was positive. My heart was broken but my love for him has never dwindled. He was my inspiration during many hard days and nights. He kept me going when times were tough and hard. Now, I do this ride for him and for those like him. Those that have been afflicted by a disease that no one should have and that needs a cure. Any part that I can do to help raise money for awareness of this violent disease, I will.

Adventures come in many forms, shapes and sizes. I have led a life full of many great adventures. Some of those adventures have involved traveling the four corners of the globe. My first trip abroad was when I was 16 years old. I was a member of a missionary trip to Scotland and we had a 5-day layover in London. Growing up a poor boy from the Bible belt, that kind of trip took a lot of money even back then. My family was not in a financial position to help me but said if I could raise the money, I could go. I cut lawns, washed cars, had yard sales and did just about anything I could think of to make the expenses for the trip. I accomplished what I set out to do and raised a bit more for spending money. It was this trip, my first on an airplane that set me on my love for traveling. It has never left me. I think it is part of my gypsy nature.

After my last adventure of the fat camp in California, I knew I wanted to so something a bit more physical than I have done in the past. The guys and gals at Camp Technique really took care of me and helped me to change my life. I was headed for an early death as my obesity was going to get the better of me eventually. Luckily, I found this great place and they gave me the moral support as well as knowledge to get my life together. They also helped me to finally look at life in a different way.

When I got back to my home, I found a great personal trainer named Mary. Mary was a pistol. Very sweet, knowledgeable and thorough. She whipped me into shape and kept me motivated. The other ladies at the gym were also very helpful and their aerobics classes kept me in shape and fit. I lost another 40 pounds after the camp was over and it is thanks to Mary and her encouragement that made this possible. That, and I busted my ass day after day.

I had always wanted to help raise awareness for HIV and AIDS so the Aids Cycle was the choice I had been looking for. It is a 570-mile ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles. It starts on a Sunday and finishes on a Saturday. It is 7 days of hard core riding and some days over 100 miles and the slower days of 45 miles up the treacherous mountains. It is not something I am even sure I will be able to accomplish but it is something I want to try. Each participant has to raise 2500 USD for the event. I chose my money to go to the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Community Center and its work with AIDS patients. I knew I did not want to ask friends and relatives to give money on something I was not even sure I would make it the first day on so I just paid the money myself hoping to save embarrassment if I failed on Day 1. I have given money to the ride participants for many years but until this year was never able to actually ride or had the energy to ride on such an undertaking.

In order to prepare for the event, I did a lot of cross training. I was running 5 miles a day several days a week. I took aerobics classes every day. I did a spin class on bicycles two times every day. I work out on weights. I did a little swimming. Yes, I was very prepared physically for something. But, notice that riding a bike outdoors was not one of the things I have been doing. Perhaps, that is what scares me the most. I know my body is tougher now than it has ever been but getting on a bike and riding for 8 hours a day may be a task I an unprepared for.

I had purchased a bike when I was in California at the Camp. It has sat in its packed box since my return, as there is really no safe place to ride when I was staying. I knew I needed it serviced so I took it to a bike shop 2 hours from my home. They took it out of the box and said there was no way in hell I would be able to do the ride on this bike. It was a mountain bike and would not be comfortable and would cause great aches and pain for anyone but especially someone who has not been riding a great deal.

The owner of the store was fantastic; He knew my plan and my goal to ride for the event. He said, "Look, you need this bike" as he pointed to a more road bike that was more money that I would ever spend on a bike. He said, "buy it, and take it on the ride with you and at the end of the ride, if you are unhappy with the selection, I will give you a full refund." He said he would outfit the bike I brought in if that is what I wanted but I knew that was not be a smart move so I took him up on his offer.

We got the bike outfitted and everything was moved to my body and dimensions. They packed the bike away in a box and I was on my way back home.

I did know that bicycle shirts and shorts were needed for the ride and I had ordered them weeks before. They both made me look even fatter than I am and were so tight I wondered what happened to my balls. The shorts have pads in them at the rear to make the ride more comfortable and the shirts are skin tight to help with speed and they dry very fast. The cost of the shorts and shirts were almost as much as the bike but that was because I picked some very cool shirts. One with Curious George as a theme. One as Queen as the theme. One was three chimpanzees with hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil. All in all, I had to have 7 shirts and shorts. I had fun picking these out of online stores and catalogs.

The day before the trip, I had to pack. Each participate is only allowed to carry one duffle bag with no more than 70 pounds of stuff. I was shocked. I have never traveled with only one suitcase and this was going to be a real challenge. I had to get a sleeping back for the trip, a blow up mattress, a pump, a helmet, all the clothes for the ride as well as all the toiletries, towels, clothes for the night, bug spray and things I had never even dreamed I would buy again. BTW: I picked out a very sexy pink silk sleeping bag. It is cute and very Barbie. I am not sure it will keep me warm on those cold nights in the mountains by the sea but it is pretty to look at.

I had to have a friend help me close the duffle bag and I am very worried that it is over weight and they will turn me away at the door. I am not even sure they will let me take my laptop and I have not been without one in about 10 years. Take about withdrawal.

I also stocked up on all the necessary supplements. I have tons of protein bars, electrolyte drinks, vitamins, etc. I was worried that the airport guys would stop me think I was a drug dealer with all the shit I had.

Naturally, I had to buy ear plugs as I'll be sleeping in a tent city with 2,000 other guys and gals and I have been told you can hear the snores from one end of the camp to the other. I also took a few Valium and Muscle Relaxes just to take the edge off at the end of the night and to help me fall asleep.

Most days' start at 6:30 and you have about 12 hours to ride. I don't really know much more than that as this is my first trip and I have just learned what I know from reading and talking to friends.

Tomorrow is Orientation Day in San Francisco so I took a plane out today for the trip. At Orientation, we get our tent buddies, badge numbers, medical check ups, etc. I was told it takes a few hours and we are required to watch a safety video and we leave our bikes there overnight.

Anyway, as I sit here writing this, I really do not know what the next week will entail for me. I hope to make it. I hope to survive the trip and the tents. However, all new adventures have some risk but they have so much to gain at the end. I am very curious where this adventure will lead me. Please keep me in your thoughts and send good wishes to me. I'll need them! I'll keep you informed as I have time to write which may be tomorrow or may be at the end of the ride. That is the great thing about a new adventure; you don't know what piece of chocolate you pull out of the box.

Orientation Day

Today was the orientation for the ride. It is a required time and we were told it would last about 2 hours. Actually, I got there before 10 am and did not leave till 4. I am unsure of how they count but that added up to more hours than 2 for me. Riding into the Cow Palace Arena was a sight. Men in drag with pom poms to direct traffic and keep things running smoothly. My taxi driver was a bit confused but just followed the "ladies" where they directed him. The lines for everything were enormous.

First, you must take your packed bike to the bike tent to get it unpacked and put back together. I did this. The guy was a very nice man who works for Cannondale and volunteers his time here. The cost was 15 to put it together. It was well worth it for me. Most that live in the area did not have to do this but those of us who had the shipped had to do this. Of course if I had been a more manly man, I could have read the manual and put it together myself. Ha-ha. That ain't going to happen.

After the bike got put together, we took it to a holding area and were given a sticker with the designation name and place the bike was. We then had to go to a Donor booth to show our donor pledges and so they could make sure we had the required 2500 to ride. There were some guys a bit short and they were all asking for donations to help.

After this we went through the registration line and got our packet of information. We were also given a bracelet to keep on the whole 7 days. It has an 800 number in case of emergencies to call the crew along the route to have them picks us up.

Then, we had to watch a safety video and hear from the California State Police. The video was about 30 min and it was helpful for those of us who didn't know we had to actually stop at a red light on a bike. I thought that was just for cars. Jk

Then, you go to a booth to get your tent assignment. As I know no one, I was given a number and I'll met my tent mate tomorrow. I don't know if male or female or young or old.

All of these lines took a while to wander through. I met some amazing people. More straight than gay. I met many couples. I met a couple riding with Team Google and they have over 15 guys from their office on the ride. I met a wonderful couple from LA and the wife had just walked the 3-day breast cancer walk and her husband is doing this ride. I think I met more married people than I did gays. I kept looking for the young twinks but they must have been hiding from me.

The day was long and tedious. I got to talk to many who have ridden for years and they were all very helpful and fun to chat with. It is a very eclectic group. I am excited to see what the day entails tomorrow. We have to be there by 5am so I'll be off to bed early tonight and ready to go early in the AM. Not sure when I can write again but here are a few pics of the day today.

Day 1

OMG. OMG. OMG.

That about sums up my day. It was nothing like what I had imagined. It was magical, amazing, beautiful, difficult, sad and happy. I had tears of joy and tears of misery rolling down my eyes at different stages of the day. The ones of misery were always at the top of the mountains. Imagine going to the Smokies and riding up that on a bike. That was about what we did today. The first 20 plus miles were straight up. What a nightmare. I really did not think I would make it the rest of the trip and I knew that I would not be able to sleep in a tent. When I got to the top of the hill, I made a call to Thailand to a manager of a large hotel I stay at and asked for his help to get me rooms along the route. All the hotels were booked as most people plan this for many months. I asked him and in a few hours, I got an e-mail from him that all the rooms were book in every city and I was taken care of.

The day started off at 5am when we put our luggage on the trucks and had a morning stretch. We were then in a room with the leaders of the trip and some amazing stories were told.

The Positive Peddlers were presented to the group and they were also the ones that led us onto the streets. Some of them have been positive for 20 years and thanks to the support of this group and the money rose, they are able to get the support they need.

We were also told that this year, we have raised over 11 million dollars for the ride. That is just an amazing number. We have 2333 riders and over 450 roadies who take care of us.

I started the day out riding the hills of San Francisco and it was wonderful to have all the people out cheering for us. They were out in droves and they made sure we knew we were loved for the work we were doing.

The ride today was over 90 miles. It was perhaps the most difficult single thing I have ever done. The mountain climb was the hardest and it lasted for hours. I did not think I would make it. The winding road just kept going for what seemed forever. I really was so tired and exhausted that I thought I would pass out a few times. When I thought I had finally made it to the top another hill was ahead. Tears rolled down my eyes, as I wasn't sure I could make it. I got depressed and sad and I got off my bike to adjust to the sight before me. I knew I had to get to the top but my legs were like noodles. My back was in pain and my ass was sore. I decided I would walk for a bit to regain my composure. I walked for about 20 minutes and then got back on the bike.

At each rest stop I filled my bottles up with Gatorade and water. There were snacks for us and I at many protein bars and bags of trail mix. There was a nice family who had made homemade brownies and I stopped and ate one with them and thanked them for their kindness.

Droves of supporters were along the route to cheer us on and to thank us. It really did make the trip easier and it was such a wonderful feeling to know that so many knew about our ride and us.

Each rest stop had a theme and each one was fun. Unfortunately, with so many people the lines were long and you really had to pick and choose if you wanted to pee or get more liquid. I finally figured out a system and it worked for me. I peed often and I drank more than I peed. I also started sweating when we rolled out of Cow Palace at 6:30 am in the San Francisco fog and my glasses were also fogged all morning.

I had a hard time balancing on the bike, as it was my first day ever on this bike. I wasn't sure I would make it but I kept trudging along.

I met some great people along the way and I had many riders who were so nice and friendly as they knew I was struggling to make it up the mountains.

Today I wore a Rolling Stones shirt with a tongue on it. I cannot count the number of times someone behind me yelled out, "on the left tongue man" or "I just love a man with along tongue." The group of riders is very funny and extremely supportive. Every time I stopped for a water break at least 10 asked if I was OK or if I needed anything.

The rules of the road are simple. Simple if you know how to ride a bike. As I have never ridden on a highway, it was scary. We also rode part of the way on Interstate. That was even scarier.

I will say that the ride is well organized and the Roadies have every thing mapped out and planned for us.

Lunch was great and the scenery was amazing. We road through neighborhoods with families out to say hi to us. We rode thought beautiful mountains with trees as large so large at the bottom that I would have to walk around them for 2 minutes to see how wide they were. We rode by the San Andres fault and the water inside the lake. We had scenes from the mountain that were beautiful and spectacular. The ocean view at the end was great with wind suffers at every turn. The beauty of the ride is not something I can describe easily as I was truly awed by the beauty of the day.

I am tired. My back aches. My legs hurt. My ass is sore. I don't really know if this was a smart move for me or not but I'll be back on the bike in the morning for 104 mile ride. I am learning as I go. I am pushing myself beyond what I thought was possible but I am also taking care of my body and when I have enough, I'll stop and rest and relax. I stopped at one local store and chatted with a group of riders and the locals. It was the most fun I had all day. I did not want to get up from the lounge chair they had for us to rest. The people in every city are fantastic.

I am boring that is for sure. I did wear nice clothes but other riders really dressed up. There were so many themes I would never be able to take pics of them all. Many decorated their hats and their bikes. There were many couples on 2 person bikes. There was a group of brides with the wedding dresses. There was a group dressed as farm animals. There were wigs, boas, and and and. It just went on. This is a very creative group and I loved the artistic flare of the crowd.

As I am tired, that is about it for the day. I had a hot shower and am now off to bed at only 7:30.

Day 2

This day was 104 miles on a bike. It was no mountains and no major hills. It was mostly flat and easy. The ride was still hard for someone who is not an experienced cyclist.

The country we rode through was beautiful. We passed many strawberry farms, artichoke farms, vineyards, etc. I really loved the fact that there were red splotches on the side of the reads from where strawberries had fallen off of the trucks on the way to the market.

One pit stop that was not official was an artichokes store and they deep-fried them. They were yummy. I didn't really them until I tasted them this way.

I also stopped at a Farmers market that was amazing. The peaches and apples were amazing. The owners were so friendly and happy to see us.

The day started off with a coffee shop that offered us free coffee and treats to all riders. It seems like every community is supporting us. It is a very nice feeling.

I got dehydrated today and got the shivers at night and had a high fever of 103. I was miserable. I went to Denny's next to camp and ordered a strawberry milkshake, a vanilla milkshake and a chocolate milkshake, some water and a cheeseburger. I ate it all. I know that is not on my new diet but who the fuck cares? It did the trick and I pick up 2 large bottles of Gatorade before I went to bed and drank them all down. FINALLY, I peed. It was a nice feeling.

One of the greatest things about stopping at unofficial places to buy food or drinks is the sound of a toilet flushing. I love the sound. I hate the porta potties and I hate seeing tons of shit in them. Ha-ha But, they are useful and needed. But, the lines are long at every stop. The organization that plans the events are very well organized and if I had one complaint is that they should know that queens take longer in bathrooms and therefore, they need to double the numbers.

Day 3

Today was the best day yet. First, I learned how to shift my gears on my bike. It really did make a difference in my riding. It is amazing how many buttons go on these new bikes. When I was a kid, I had a really cool orange bike with one speed. I thought that was all that is needed. I was sadly mistaken.

I have also decided that my name is no longer Michael. It is now, "On your Left." This is that is said to me at least 2332 times each day. When you pass another rider, you say these words. I say them about 2 times a day. I get them said to me by at least everyone once or twice. I think if I ride again next year, I'll just get a shirt that says, "On your right." That way others can save their voices. I know I am slow. I don't need everyone telling me 2 thousands times a day. I was going down a large mountain today at least 50 miles an hour. There were those passing me peddling faster as I was just coasting at 50. I thought I was nuts. Well, there are those nuttier.

The riders do take the rules seriously. It is for good reason you say On Your Left. I saw 2 accidents today when they were not used. Luckily, I was not one of those. I like to think as slow as I go that no one would really want to run into me as they can see me for miles away. I have the bright pink bottles and a flashing blinker to warn others that a diva is present.

Today we went up Quad busters. It is a huge mountain. It takes forever. I admit I did not make it the whole way up on my bike. I walked a bit. Rode a bit and walked a bit. I did make it to the top and in style. When I was almost there a sexy leather man grabbed my ass checks and started running behind me to push me to the top even faster. He thought he was helping me go faster, I really just got turned on by the ass grabbing and it made my downhill time more memorable.

Lunch was held at a local school that has a student population of 28. They cook lunch for us as a fundraising event. We are told that our day is the biggest fundraiser the town sees each year and supports many things in the school. The school kids were out in force selling t-shirts, pens, cookies and food. The hamburgers were good and the sodas were a nice treat.

I met the leader of the Gay and Lesbian Community Center in LA at lunch. She sat beside me and I didn't know who she was and we chatted for a bit. When I figured out who she was, I said, "oh, you are the screamer." I didn't mean anything offensive by it at all as her voice does carry and she is always chipper when she said good morning riders. However, for some reason her voice does carry louder on the speakers than anyone else.

I met a wonderful lady today who is a freelance writer. We chatted for a long time. The people on the ride are fascinating and they all have a story to tell. Don't we all?

Day 4

Today was the twin sister's ride and it is a grueling mountain trek. The Twin's are huge and take what seems like forever to get up. They just keep going and going and going. The beginning of the day was beautiful with a ride through some great wineries and many of them the grape vines were visible and the beautiful wine cellars were there for all to see.

It was a mountainous day and at the top of the evil sisters was the half way point from SF to LA.

I had an accident today and a bad wreck that ended up busting my knew open. It is all swollen and bruised and blood gushing out all afternoon. I kept riding to the next rest area and had to have the medical staff look at it. I have kept it iced and it is better tonight but it hurts like hell. The guy behind me ran into me when I fell and ran over my head. Luckily, the helmet saved my life and it was that he fell on. My body aches and pains today. I love drugs and have taken so many Advil's I should buy stock.

I met amazing people again today. I saw with the lady who founded the Pig riders. It is a group of ladies that do this ride year after year and are a bit older than I am and they raise a ton of money for charity and they wear Pig tops on their helmets. I became friendly with Cindy who they call Mama Pig. She is a fascination woman.

I had dinner with a guy who lost his brother to AIDS 9 years ago and this is his 9th ride. He promised his mother he would ride until a cure was found. He is married and has a little girl. He still rides for his brother and now for his daughter and he is a fast rider and makes the day trip in less than 5 hours each day. Double that time and that is me. He lives in SF and bikes across the Golden Gate Bridge to work each day. A very friendly and very impressive man. He is also sexy and straight and we laughed and joked all evening.

I met a pretty Honduran girl who is funny and witty and kept me laughing, as her privates were rubbed raw from the bike seat. She and I talked for a long time and she rides for her 3 children.

The group of riders is very diverse and very friendly. When I had my accident a guy stopped and helped me clean my wounds and kept the traffic moving. I felt like such an idiot for the wreck but everyone kept yelling out, "You OK? You need anything." I don't think anyone of them would have passed by without offering to help. That is the type of group this is. Amazing.

Still tired. Still weary. Can't wait to get to LA.

Tomorrow is red dress day and I want a ton of photos of everyone. I am most excited about this day and I hope my knee heals up, as the doc wants to see it at 6 AM before I ride off.

I have worked out my system for not dehydrating myself. I have also loved the scenery but have to be careful not to look around too much.

The over 80 miles today was beautiful and after the wine country we ended up on the Pacific Coast highway. The winds were horrendous and furious. When they were at your tail, it was a great help. When to your side, it was hard to keep on the bike.

Another day down. 3 to go!

Day 5

Today was the day I have been waiting for. It was the day where my mind was able to overcome the newness of this ride. My mind started working together with my body and we were finally able to get a handle on how to ride with grace.

Last night I had dinner with a great man who told me about this brother dying of AIDS and he always rides in his memory and he also gave me several pointers. One thing that stuck out in my mind was that he said he makes it in within 5 hours each day. He said that is about all his body can stand on a bike and he works hard from the early morning to make this happen. He also gave some other great advice. He said the faster you ride in the AM, the less time you wait in lines at the rest stops and at lunch. He suggested that I pick up all the protein bars, etc that I want for the day at the first rest stop and that way, I'll not have to wait in that line any other time.

So, I rode out at 6:30am as usual. However, I busted my ass to ride faster and stronger. I made it to the first rest stop in due time and there were NO lines for anything. Same thing for each rest stop and lunch after. I also did not hear "On your left" many times today. In past days I heard that thousands of times. Today, I would say I didn't hear it even 100 times. And, that was mostly going up the mountains today.

We had many big mountain climbs today. I rode as hard as I could and then I would walk a bit to rest my legs and then ride again.

Today was red dress day and everyone wore red dresses in memory and honor of those who have died of AIDS in the past. We rode past several schools and the kids were laughing. I stopped at one school and chatted with a group of teenagers. They were laughing at the guys in front of me. I asked them if they knew who we were and what we were doing. They didn't. I explained to them about the ride and our desire to end AIDS and find a cure for it so when they were older, they would not have to deal with such a bad disease. I also explained what the significance of the dresses was and that we only did this on one day. They asked many questions and the group of kids grew from about 7 to over 20. I chatted with them for a while and then I made my way forward. I am sure there were tons of others laughing at us for not that group. They were all so grateful to know who we were and why we looked so funny.

If you have ever seen the movie "To Wong Fu" that was what one town we went through looked like. The town was small and they closed Main Street for us and make the road a dance floor. They had a DJ from the local convenience store and they sold us streak sandwiches and sodas and homemade deserts. The money went for the local school. I got one of each and the kids were all trying to get me to eat the desert they made. I chose a pink cupcake. The boy that made it wanted his mom to take a picture of me with him and the cupcake. I did and he seemed happy. I also took quite a few photos here as well as it was a sight to see a group of hundreds of people in red dresses and all in drag dancing in the street with the locals loving the show. It was also obvious to me at that point that gay men are created from birth and it is not a learned thing. The straight boys did not know how to work the dance floor but the gays knew how to get down and dirty. It was a beautiful sight.

I fulfilled my plan to get ahead of the crowds and I made it into came in less than 5 hours. It was a shorter day today mileage wise at only 45 miles but it was mostly mountains and it was a doozie. When I got into camp, I was one of the first 100 there. I finally felt like I had accomplished something significant. Most days I do 10 hours and am dead at the end of the day. Today, I wasn't. My legs hurt more from the hard work but my ass didn't feel as bad, my back didn't ache as much and my shoulders were not as tight. I really did finally feel like I learned a way to do this ride and enjoy it more.

I am staying at a hotel tonight and they had a hot tub outside and I got into it for 30 minutes to relax my muscles. It felt amazing. The day that was in the taxi with me to the hotel has done this every year for many years and has also raised the most money from all the riders. She is in her late 60's and she has run over 104 marathons and countless triathlons. She really was an inspiration to talk to and get to know. That is what the ride is really great for. You meet some of the most amazing, most talented, most dedicated people on earth. I am not one of them but I do feel honored to be in their presence.

My knee is much better today as I followed the doctor's advice and kept ice on it. The hotel I stayed at last night was a Holiday Inn and they found I was a Platinum member and they treated me to full dinner and drinks last night, breakfast this AM and they upgraded me to a nice suite.

I asked if there was a local masseur that would come to the hotel and they said no. A boy from the hotel volunteered to come up to my room after his shift for 40 dollars. I said OK. He did this when his boss wasn't looking. He came up late and I left 60 on the table for him. He massaged so well and I fell asleep. I was lucky he did not rob me blind. But, instead, where the money was, he wrote a note. It said, "Mr. Mike my uncle died of HIV several years ago. I no take your money, as I know your ride for him and others. Thank you for work hard everyday to my uncle." The money was left on the table and the note on top of it. It brought tears to my eyes. Just thinking of it now, they water up. You never know how many people are really touched by the riders and the ride.

To me, this was my best day. It started off with a nice note and it ended on a nice note with me getting to camp faster than 2200 other riders. Those are two notes I will cherish forever.

Day 6

Today was an 84 miles day. It was mostly rolling hills and valleys. The scenery was beautiful and it took us along the coastal highway. The Pacific was tour right and the mountains were to our left.

I got a slow start today as the taxi that was supposed to pick us up was late and we finally ended up hitchhiking to camp. It really pissed me off as we had tipped him well the night before to make sure he was on time. That really started the day off wrong.

I also had another little roll over today and my tires sent flat twice. I was good enough to get the air in them (a huge challenge for me) without any assistance from anyone. I had a hundred riders ride along and ask if I needed help and I gave them the thumbs up sign to signal I did not need help. I did it myself but it blew again and that told me we had major problems. I took the bike to the Cannondale team and they replaced the tubing. It is now riding fine. Cannondale gives support for the ride and their workers will work for free as long as they don't have to replace anything. They did with my tube and it was 5 dollars. A small price to pay.

We rode through the town of Santa Barbara today and it was beautiful and the townspeople really welcomed us.

I really did not like traveling on the Pacific Coast Highway, as there were too many cars and trucks speeding by. It was a bit scary all day long.

Lunch was good and needed.

I was able to finish my day 9 hours after I started. I did ride fast in the AM but as the day grew on, the more tired I became. The slower I got. After about 6 or 7 hours on the seat, my ass felt like it was dead and my back and shoulders were aching something fierce.

Tomorrow is the final day. I am excited about the day and my ride back home. I got on a scale today and I have gained 10 pounds this week. I am sure part is water weight and part if all the junk I am eating to get through each day. I think I have eaten more peanut butter, jelly and graham crackers in one week than I have in 20 years. I also have been guzzling down Gatorade like it was needed for life existence. Oh well, you do what you need to do to make it through something like this.

I got a surprise call from a friend who lives in the area and saw the cyclists. He called my room knowing I would most likely stay in a hotel. We were able to meet up and have a great dinner. It was so nice to see a familiar face and to chat and converse. Luckily, he saw the wave of riders go by and thought, I bet Mike is there somewhere. I was in the wave. Just in the rear. :)

Day 7 Final Day Ventura to LA

Last night I had a surprise phone call from a friend who treated me to dinner at a very nice Seafood place near the campground we were at. It was a very nice and much appreciated gesture. This friend was good and kind and very supportive of the trip. I am sure I bored him with my constant stories of the bike ride but it is such an intense experience that I didn't know what else to say. I am sure he could hear the excitement in my voice.

It is also really nice to be excited about something other than the next lay. That has consumed so much of my time over the years and is such a part of much gay man's daily life. They search out on the net or the bars looking for a little somein somein at the end of the day. I can say that not once during this trip was I even remotely interested in sex. I did have some very sexy guys hit on during the ride and there was lots of hooking up going on at the end of the week but my body was tired and my mind was in a different place. One of the sexiest boys on the trip asked if he could shower in my hotel room. I said OK. He came over, showered and dressed in front of me. I asked him if he wanted to check his e-mail and he did, in his underwear. It was a complete turn-on but, frankly, I just wanted to sleep.

Today was a ride from Ventura to LA. The scenery was amazing. We rode most of the day along the coastal highway. The waves making their noise against the rocks was simply fantastic. The seagulls flying overhead kept my eyes busy. California is a beautiful place and when you are biking it as opposed to riding it the view is amazing.

Yesterday in Santa Barbara a group of locals came out and gave us Ice Cream. They were just scooping it up in droves to dish out to us. Today as we rode thought Malibu, the locals were there to cheers us on and were ready with chocolates and candy and waving flags of support. The best candy I had today was a lady stopped me and gave me a box of Godiva. I guess she realized I am a chocoholic and that is my favorite.

When we made one turn around Malibu we were able to see LA. It was so nice. I had seen the view before on my bike when I was at the fitness camp. I knew I could make it at that point.

I pushed hard today to get in as fast as I could. We had a bit over 64 miles today and they were up and down most of the way but they were easy. At each turn, I knew I was closer to my goal and to my end.

Once we were in LA, we were greeted with people on every street corner. From Brentwood to Santa Monica, the crowds were gathered. I stopped for coffee at a Starbucks along the way as I new we were only a mile away and I was riding early. I got into the final camp group after 8 hours of hard biking. Seeing the largest crowd at the end was an amazing feeling. Tons of hugs and high fives from supporters. My bike was parked one last time with the other riders and we were all gathered together to cheer the others on. There were so many thank you from the community and from the HIV positive peddlers. Many stopped to tell their story and how much this ride and the money it raises benefit them. I had met many wonderful people along the trip and a hug was given and received from the all. Together we had raised 11 million dollars and had accomplished a great feat.

I have to say that I am proud that I was able to do this ride. At times I was unsure I would make it. The first day I really wanted to call a taxi and have them take me to the airport. I know of a few who did that. I am not really sure what keep me going each morning and what kept me getting up at 5am for the departure. Perhaps I just knew it was possible to do. Perhaps, it was just I wanted to finish. Perhaps the stories I heard along the way kept me going. When you meet a 67 year old lady who raised more than anyone else on the ride and has done it for many years, you know you can't just say, this is not something I can do. You have to try and you have to keep going.

Overall, I have learned a great deal about myself on this trip. The long days really do give you time to contemplate life and you dwell on many things in your mind. It is kind of like a detox in many ways: a detox of the mind.

I'll do the ride again. I had a great time. I hurt like hell. My body aches like I have never ached. My ass hurts like it has never hurt. But, my spirit has been raised and one goal has been accomplished.

I wish I could put in this bog all the stories of the riders I heard along the way. It is just impossible. It is impossible to put into words the effect that HIV has had not only on the gay community but all communities. Most of my friends on this trip were not gay. They had all been personally affected in many ways. Each had a story. Each one was inspiring to me. I think the nicest thing said to me was by a Roadie. A Roadie is the volunteer that cook for us and get all the services we need provided. He and I had talked since day 1 and he has roadied for many years. He knew this was my first ride and that I had not been on a bike for months before this. It was well known in camp that I was the most unprepared for this journey. But, I keep on day after day. He told me that because of my smiles when I saw him at each rest stop and me getting on my bike every morning even when I was in pain that he signed up for next year's ride. He thanked me for being his inspiration. I was stunned and humbled.

Everyone does the ride for a different reason and many Roadie and many bike. I had my reasons for this ride and I hope that I'll have some impact on others. I know that many of the riders have had a lasting impact on me.

I have led a lucky life. I have also been blessed in many ways. The sore ass, the daily ice packs on my knees, the many bandages on my toes and legs from the accidents I had along the way are just part of the blessings. I really feel this trip blessed me and made me different in so many ways. It was an experience of a lifetime and I hope to have more things that this that are able to touch my soul and move my heart.

Summary of the Ride

First, if you are reading this blog start from the bottom and work your way to the top.

Now that I have had time to rest for a few days and recover from the trip, I have had a bit of time to reflect on the time I spent on my bike and with the other riders.

I learned many things on this trip. I now know that buying a bike the day before the ride was not the best way to go. I should have bought it months before and gotten it broken in. I should have trained for months in advance of this ride. It is not something that can be done easily and most tried for many months to make the ride possible. I should have done this. I met some great people on the ride and when I do the ride again, I’ll do many of the training practice rides before the event.

Bandanas are cool. I know they many not look cool on a 40-year-old man but they are. Why? When you are balding and you have that little bald spot at the top of your head, the sun really beats down on it. A bandana protects the head from the sun and it also makes the helmet a bit more comfortable.

Portable Potties are nasty but a necessary evil on a trip like this. I learned to try to find small stores along the way with bathrooms and I never once had a store worker refuse me the restroom. I would stop just so I could hear the flush of the water. On most of the rest stops, they lines for the Portal Potties were long and depending on the line you got into, you had to wait for what seemed like forever. It is best to plan on ways to avoid these lines if at all possible.

Sleeping in a tent is not for me. They call the riders who sleep in hotels a Princess. I guess that is me. I am not a tent sleeper and having the luxury of a hotel room each night made a huge difference. Hey, if you know me, the Days Inn is NOT luxury but it had a bed and a bathroom that was not portable. I had planned to sleep in tents the entire trip but when I got to the top of the first mountain on the first day, I knew I had to sleep in a hotel and I starting making arrangements. Since most Princesses have made their arrangements months in advance, I was very lucky. I had a manager from one of the hotels I frequent make some calls for me. Otherwise, I would have been “shit out of luck.”

One of my trainers who I did spin classes with told me the week before the ride that I needed bike shorts. I didn’t know this and so I went online and ordered shorts and shirts. Without this, I would have died. The shorts are padded and they keep the friction on your seat from rubbing you raw. I saw many who were raw on the ass this trip and my 89-dollar shorts kept my ass clear and fresh. The shirts were amazing as well as they were made to sweat in and then they were quickly dry. The extra money I spent on these items really did pay off in the end.

Asses are not made to be on a bike for 10 hours a day. It is just now what God intended. I learned to stretch often and take breaks as much as I could. At the end, I learned that going faster and getting in earlier each day made my day easier and better.

Gay people and straight people mixing together on a daily basis is possible. I guess I had decided long ago to try to have all my friends as gay as I would have more in common with them. However, I had changed my mind. I have much more in common with the people on this ride than I ever did with guys I met at a gay beach in Brazil or a go-go bar in Thailand. The discussions were different and a totally different level of communication. That is not just with the straight people I met on the trip but the gay ones as well. I met many gay men and lesbian who are in long-term relationships. I was impressed with them and with their attitude. I don’t think a LTR is for me, but I applaud anyone who does it.

The people I met on this trip were never negative about life or anything. They were upbeat, positive and happy. Most really believe they can make a difference in the world. There were a lot of dreamers and activists. It was good for me to be surrounded by these people and I do believe they rubbed off on me a little.

The bike ride itself was very difficult. I am not really sure how I made it from day to day. In many ways it was a true miracle as I was so unprepared for the ride and the experience. I went to bed tried each night and woke up sore but I got on the bike each day. I will not say that I had my doubts every day. Every day I wondered if that day would be my last. I wondered if I would be able to continue or if I could make it to the top of the next hill. It was a solitary experience. I was alone in a pack of 2333 others. While I had encouragement from many every day, I was alone with my bike from morning till dusk. People would pass by and say, “you can do it’ or “you are almost there” or “keep up the great work.” You see, unlike most of them, I really did need to hear those words. I am not sure I would have made it otherwise. The people I met along this journey is really what kept me going. I had nothing to prove to anyone other than myself. I had raised my money for the trip and I could have left anytime along the way. Something in me kept me going and it was the others I met. They were inspiring. They were what I thought of before I got into the shower each morning at 5am.

The groups that sponsor the ride are very well organized and they have this entire experience down to a science. I assume that came after years of practice. They feed, house, and move along over 3 thousand people every day. It is a tremendous task. I was impressed at how well everything was organized from when the bike rolled into camp each night and they were scanned to know you made it in for the day safely, to the motorcycle riders who were at every major intersection to direct traffic, to the roadies who prepared the meals, to the sweepers who rode the route in the cars day after day checking for problems and picking up riders who needed assistance, to the medical staff who were prepared for everything to the chiropractors and massage therapists who were in camp to help relive the pain of the days ride. I could go on and on about how this group of men and women made the experience amazing. It is just simply something you would have to see to understand.

I was lucky in that I had very supporting family and friends who were constantly keeping in contact via e-mail and phone to make sure I was OK and to offer encouragement. My friends have access to my blog and they were able to see how I did each day. I wrote mostly the good things on the blog. I didn’t write about all the cuts and bruises I got, or the number of muscle relaxers I took each night, or the reams of butt cream I used. Yes, butt balm is real and they had it for us at each rest area. It helped your ass not to get rubbed raw. I used it on more than one occasion and it was always funny to see someone take a scoop and just put their hands in the shorts and rub it on. Needless to say, we say the good, the bad and the ugly on this trip.

What I think I came out of the experience the most is my desire to become someone of who gives back to the community. I am really not sure how I will do this yet but I have a few ideas in mind. I have been lucky to make a good living for many years and it is now time I started to make a difference in the lives of others. I know my calling has something to do with gay men but not sure what or where. I am working out the details in my mind. It may be in Thailand or Brazil or even NYC. But, something is on the way and the excitement off doing something else unique has my mind working overtime. I have been in touch with a Thai lawyer who will help me if I decide to fund more charity work there.

I am very glad I did this ride. I learned a great deal. I met great people and I saw a part of the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen. It was a true life changing experience for me. To those who I have been friends with over the years, know this, my journey is not over. It has only begun.

http://www.aidslifecycle.org/

Guest travelerjim

Congratulations GT on your remarkable achievement and

your commitment to a healthier life.

I look forward to personally seeing the "new you"

on your next visit to Pattaya.

Keep your focus on your new lifestyle

and you will continue to achieve

all you wish for "a healthier you"... :-)

TravelerJim

Guest Hedda

GT: Although I have no doubt of the genuine sentiments that prompted this post, I am reminded of what Austria's Emperor allegedly said to Mozart after sitting through the first run of The Marriage of Figaro: "Too many notes." So much for genius.

Just as God never intended your derriere to sit on a bike for ten hours, he also made no provision for most of us to get through a saga like yours in one sitting. Perhaps if I could carry my laptop to the beach, with an extra battery, I might be able to complete a first reading in one afternoon. So much for brevity.

As is, I intend to return again and again to this thread to discover the hidden gems of your magnum opus. Most of all, I look forward to hearing from your most devoted fans when they start screaming about what the hell this thread is doing in the Gay Thailand forum. So much for nothing.

Hedda, my dear, have you not read War and Peace in one setting? :) I once checked into a hotel on the coast of Spain with a few books I have wanted to read for a few years and just spent the weekend reading. It was great. My post is no book nor it is nothing exciting as the books I read that weekend were but I warned in the first paragraph it was long and boring. Perhaps, I should have put it in bold. :)

And, if your eyes hurt as much reading this long post as my derriere, then please take at least 7 days to finish or you may need a vacation just to rest. :) My holiday to rest my derriere was in Las Vegas and I just finished a great week there with show tickets to Le Reve and a few hikes and some other cultural things. Shhh. Don't tell anyone that I actually do social things other than go to gogo bars, I'd hate to spoil my reputation or lack thereof. ;)

GT, that is one of the nicest posts I have ever read on these boards. Thank you for sharing that.

Thank you Pete!

Congratulations GT on your remarkable achievement and

your commitment to a healthier life.

I look forward to personally seeing the "new you"

on your next visit to Pattaya.

Thanks TJ. The new me is the same as the old me except a few inches gone. My blad spot is still there, my beard is still gray, I am still sightly flamboyant and I still love to throw parties of 200 or more. :) hehe Now, that I am homeless and back at a hotel when I return, can we use your place for the parties? :)