Guest restless

Rachel's back

• Members

Rachel Maddow's back tonight. I'm glad - was getting distracted by Chris Hayes - hot wonk. Anyone else watch her?

Actually she is on my list of Political Talk shows NOT to watch. Right behind Glen Beck and Keith Olbeirman. I find all 3 to be obnoxius and since I've retired I watch alot of the Cable News shows.

Guest restless

Actually she is on my list of Political Talk shows NOT to watch. Right behind Glen Beck and Keith Olbeirman. I find all 3 to be obnoxius and since I've retired I watch alot of the Cable News shows.

Congrats on your retirement. I know what you mean about Cable. Actually, I like Rachel. She is a breath of fresh air with her research. She is one of the few Cable on-air talents that is more than a talking head. She is factually informative even though she pisses on a lot of conservative boots and some liberal ones too... I mean progressive. Her Afghan reporting was off the usual beaten track and stellar IMO.

I won't watch Fox with the exception of Shep Smith and I turn off MSNBC if they just get into a liberal/conservative back and forth between party mouthpieces -- they do a lot of that. I have no time for it. I want non-party journalists and analysts to opine, not party hacks.

CNN tries but for some reason BBCA and the News Hour do it so much better for the most part.

Wait. Did you write the part about being retired, or congratulating someone else on being retired? What am I not getting here.

In any case, yes her Afghanistan reporting was some of the most impressive I've seen anywhere. As a friend of mine says, "She's my favorite lesbian." And I'm with you on the hacks. I hate the chatter. I'll have to check out BBCA, I always forget about it.

• Members

Wait. Did you write the part about being retired, or congratulating someone else on being retired? What am I not getting here.

In any case, yes her Afghanistan reporting was some of the most impressive I've seen anywhere. As a friend of mine says, "She's my favorite lesbian." And I'm with you on the hacks. I hate the chatter. I'll have to check out BBCA, I always forget about it.

Actually only the first paragraph is mine.

(Actually she is on my list of Political Talk shows NOT to watch. Right behind Glen Beck and Keith Olbeirman. I find all 3 to be obnoxius and since I've retired I watch alot of the Cable News shows)

I'm not sure who wrote the other part (must be some computer problem?) but whoever, thanks for the congrats on being retired. :D

• Members

Congrats on your retirement. I know what you mean about Cable. Actually, I like Rachel. She is a breath of fresh air with her research. She is one of the few Cable on-air talents that is more than a talking head. She is factually informative even though she pisses on a lot of conservative boots and some liberal ones too... I mean progressive. Her Afghan reporting was off the usual beaten track and stellar IMO.

I won't watch Fox with the exception of Shep Smith and I turn off MSNBC if they just get into a liberal/conservative back and forth between party mouthpieces -- they do a lot of that. I have no time for it. I want non-party journalists and analysts to opine, not party hacks.

CNN tries but for some reason BBCA and the News Hour do it so much better for the most part.

• Members

Actually only the first paragraph is mine.

(Actually she is on my list of Political Talk shows NOT to watch. Right behind Glen Beck and Keith Olbeirman. I find all 3 to be obnoxius and since I've retired I watch alot of the Cable News shows)

I'm not sure who wrote the other part (must be some computer problem?) but whoever, thanks for the congrats on being retired. :D

I screwed up my first attempt at my response to KYTOP. I'm the software screw up. :o Sorry about that. :mellow: I did post a proper response.

Guest restless

I screwed up my first attempt at my response to KYTOP. I'm the software screw up. :o Sorry about that. :mellow: I did post a proper response.

So YOU'RE the one who was confusing me! :P

And it's you I agree with about Rachel's Afghanistan shows. If she doesn't win something for that...

• Members

So YOU'RE the one who was confusing me! :P

And it's you I agree with about Rachel's Afghanistan shows. If she doesn't win something for that...

Umm... yes it's me <shrugging, staring at feet while standing in the corner >

She also broke the stories (as far as I know) on Cable/Broadcast about the HomoSex Death Penalty Consitution Law under consideration in Uganda and the connection to American religious leaders and right wing pols; and the C-Street House story that fell out of the Ensign Affair. Then there is her crusade to hold Obama's feet to the fire on Dont Ask Dont Tell among other crusades against her own.

She really is a rare cable personality in that she actually carries out original investigative reporting in contrast to most cable talking heads that just rely on pushing an agenda or leaning on political establishment spokespersons to provide heat and light for their show and aggregating the reporting of others to carry their show all of which can be summarized as "bla bla bla".

She raises the discussion level of policy issues by putting on individuals that are impacted by policy and letting them tell their own stories about how the policy impacts their daily lives. As an example, I think many were able to see that gay service members are real people doing real jobs in a real environment of acceptance by peers. It helps to make the argument that we as a country are ready for some changes.

She has cut her own swath in the media fields, like her or not.

I don't watch night time cable new channels all that much but when I do I know I'll see some content on her show and probably learn something.

Guest restless

Umm... yes it's me <shrugging, staring at feet while standing in the corner >

She also broke the stories (as far as I know) on Cable/Broadcast about the HomoSex Death Penalty Consitution Law under consideration in Uganda and the connection to American religious leaders and right wing pols; and the C-Street House story that fell out of the Ensign Affair. Then there is her crusade to hold Obama's feet to the fire on Dont Ask Dont Tell among other crusades against her own.

Her thing last night about Gays on a Train was hilarious and brutal.

• Members

I also wanted to add my appreciation for Maddow and to encourage people to not automatically paint her with Olbermann's brush. Olbermann is the equal and opposite of O'Reilly, by design. He's more honest but he can manage to be obnoxiously partisan while pretending to be non-partisan--exactly like Bill! Still, I think Keith did a lot of good by being one of the very few voices calling the Bush administration on a great number of things.

Maddow, on the other hand, really does try to cover the facts evenly and get both sides of things. She seems a lot more Murrow-like in her reporting than Keith--despite all his affectations. I mean a guy from the John Birch Society thanked Rachel for her coverage of them!

I only catch her once or twice a week, but I would encourage people to give her a second chance. And I can't imagine there's anybody anywhere else in America covering gay issues and rights better, or more openly.

That crybaby with the mind of an Ostrich (Beck) has no place being compared to anybody above, even Bill O'Reilly. He's nothing but empty-headed theatrics designed for the soul purpose of self promotion/enrichment (ok, MAYBE Bill O'Reilly...), Beck's just like Ann Coulter... i.e. the world could instantly be a better place if either of them choked to death on their own bile. The thing that gets me is that it was *CNN* that introduced that wortless fuck Beck the world!

Why is it that when a story I want to hear more about is breaking the *last* place I can get any info is on Headline News or CNN? Shouldn't at least one of them have a fucking live newsdesk at all times? That bomb that went off in Times Square a couple months ago... fucking Larry King rerun--TALKING TO SNOOP DOG on one and Joy Behar on the other... FOR FUCK'S SAKE!

Guest restless

I also wanted to add my appreciation for Maddow and to encourage people to not automatically paint her with Olbermann's brush. Olbermann is the equal and opposite of O'Reilly, by design.

I've had it with Olbermann. He's too righteous these days. Maddow's been getting a little silly, but I'm cutting her slack because her reporting is incredibly well-researched and clearly explained.

Guest glutes
He's more honest but he can manage to be obnoxiously partisan while pretending to be non-partisan--exactly like Bill! Still, I think Keith did a lot of good by being one of the very few voices calling the Bush administration on a great number of things.

Excuse me, Olbermann calls out B.O. on a variety of his administrations actions also...

• Members

Excuse me, Olbermann calls out B.O. on a variety of his administrations actions also...

I agree! He just may have gone over the top in many people's minds. We already have somebody that's a damn good satire of BillO, we don't also need an unintentional parody...

Guest restless

I agree! He just may have gone over the top in many people's minds. We already have somebody that's a damn good satire of BillO, we don't also need an unintentional parody...

Yeah. Last night when he replayed his 2008 comment on Prop 8, it just looked like an SNL skit. All that sighing through his nose and grimacing.