Lucky

9-11

• Members

One thing I won't be doing tomorrow is burning Korans or even reading them. I've always felt that if we expect to stop Muslim extremists, our biggest allies in the battle will be the non-violent Muslims who believe their religion is one of peace.

What's hard for me about that is my failure to understand how they can believe what they do, and how they can subject women to such second, or even tenth class treatment.

But try we must to get along. I don't understand Mormon beliefs either, but I would have no trouble having a Mormon friend.

On September 11, 2001, I was living in New York. I watched as people applauded firefighters, I saw the debris scattered all over lower Manhattan, and, of course, I was glues to my TV in those early morning hours. The spirit of togetherness that swept New york that day and for some time after will always be remembered.

But, as time goes on, politics seems to take over the commemorations. I don't like that.

post-100548-027234400 1284135733_thumb.j

Guest NYTomcat

I think your right lucky. I doubt there are any of us who watched the carnage for ourselves who can ever forget. I just hope others remember for the right reasons not as a rallying cry for others political expediency.

Guest CharliePS

It never takes long for people to appropriate an event with strong emotional power, to use for their own political or ideological purposes. I dread the tenth anniversary next year.