TotallyOz

Waiting For Superman

I have been trying to catch up on all the Oscar nominations that were announced recently. One of the movies that I watched this week is called Waiting for Superman. It is a documentary about the collapse and problems associated with the American education system. It takes several students and follows them before, during, and after a lottery process to get into charter schools.

Davis Guggenheim (AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH) is the director. He received a nomination for best director. This was an amazing story. I love his other work and I knew that I would enjoy this one as well. I did. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I watched it two times. Coming from a family of educators, I'm sure that this movie will be the topic of conversation at many dinners over the coming year.

Waiting For Superman is a must-see.

http://www.waitingforsuperman.com/

I believe it, unfortunately, failed to get an Oscar nomination.

You are right and it is a shame. A friend from the USA that gets advanced copies of all the releases brought several with him. This was one of the ones he brought. When I saw him and I started discussing movies, both present and past, many names came out of the woodwork that I haven't thought of for years.

Today I watched one of those old movies. The movie, Torchsong Trilogy, brought back so many memories of yesteryear. Matthew Broderick and Harvey Fairstein were excellent in this movie. It was also one of the first gay themed movies that I ever saw. Still to this day, I still have a crush on Matthew Broderick.

For some reason, the nostalgia of the past has been out in full force this week. I spent time this week going over some of the nominated movies, and movies that I've seen before that I wanted to see again. Probably way too much time has been spent in front of the TV this week. I know that the pizza delivery service in Thailand has had a very good customer the past few days.

The movie True Grit was a true joy to watch. Jeff Bridges did a phenomenal job in the movie. I also thought that Matt Damon did a great job. I enjoyed this movie a great deal and it also brought back memories of my childhood as my mother and father both loved Western flicks.

There were some movies I just could not get into this week and I'll have to try harder next week to watch them for the nominations. One of them was starring Nicole Kidman and I was excited to see the movie until I started watching it. I just wasn't able to get into it. But my goal is to see all the nominated movies before the award ceremony. If I would stop watching things that weren't nominated perhaps I'll get to them all before the ceremony begins.

Another movie I watched this week was Heather's. Heather's is a black comedy starring Christian Slater and Winona Ryder. Although I have seen the movie at least 20 times it still brings a smile to my face to see it again.My favorite scene in the movie is the father of the quarterback for the football team who says "I love my dead gay son." There are so many wonderful lines in this movie that one needs to go back and watch it over and over. If you haven't seen it, give it a try.

Where, in Thailand, do you find movies like Heather's?

I carry around DVDs that I like. I guess I have slightly over 250 DVD's that I enjoy. Years ago when customs was constantly checking everything I always check the DVDs. It made the entrance into the USA even longer. So I started leaving my DVD collection and USA after I burned many of the DVDs onto my computer. It took me about a week to burn the DVDs I wanted and keep them in my collection.

But I would think that you would be able to find Heather's at TUT COM in Pattaya or MBK in Bangkok. My friend firecat uses one DVD guy right outside of Silom Soi 4. While this guy has mostly new movies, I'm sure if you are a regular and you asked, he would be happy to find most movies for you.

I am sure you would also be able to download it from the Internet if you didn't search.