Guest FourAces

Cuba?

Guest FourAces

I'm totally fascinated by Cuba and look forward to visiting.

Now that it will soon be even easier to travel to Cuba I'm curious does anyone have plans on going?

Have any of you guys been there? If so can you give us some insight?

I'm totally fascinated by Cuba and look forward to visiting.

Now that it will soon be even easier to travel to Cuba I'm curious does anyone have plans on going?

Have any of you guys been there? If so can you give us some insight?

How much easier is this going to be for all?

Guest FourAces

How much easier is this going to be for all?

I was referring more to the additional airports that people will be able to fly there from later this year. DFW happens to be one of the airports on the list ^_^

• Members

FourAces, unless something slipped by under my radar, travel to Cuba by US citizens without relatives in Cuba is still restricted. Let me know if I missed something because Oz has promised to sponsor a 10 day stay in Havana for TY and me as soon as the State Department unclenches its asshole about US tourists.

Come to think of it, Oz, why can't you get us in under the exemption for reporters? We could do an in depth investigation of the working conditions for rent boys in metro Havana. Exclusive articles and videos to MER, of course.

Guest zipperzone

If Americans really want to travel to Cuba they fly to Canada first and get a round trip ticket as in Toronto/Havana/Toronto.

But a word of warning. A ex-colleague of mine went there for 14 days a couple of years ago. He was warned by his hotel not to go swimming in the harbour after dark as the beaches were officially closed. There might even be a law against it - I'm not sure.

Anyhow he ignored the advice/law and went for a midnight swim. Within 24 hours he became violently ill and stayed that way for days. When he arrived home he was still so sick that he was hospitalized. Further investigation turned up the cause. Havana regularly dumps untreated sewage into the ocean after dark when the beaches are closed. It's not discussed in the tourist trade for obvious reasons but that's what happens. It took him literally months to get over his illness.

Just thought this could be useful info for those planning to go there.

Guest FourAces

MsGuy maybe I read the info too quickly ... but this summer the US will allow travel to Cuba from an additional 12 airports. I thought that the restrictions were also being relaxed. Guess I was wrong :(

Guest hitoallusa

MsGuy you are so good at finding loopholes. FourAces what about submitting a VISA application as a writer or researcher? You never know you might become next Frances Mayes (Under the Tuscan Sun). Youtube has the full movie online. I like the movie a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscZjYxOGbw

Come to think of it, Oz, why can't you get us in under the exemption for reporters? We could do an in depth investigation of the working conditions for rent boys in metro Havana. Exclusive articles and videos to MER, of course.

Guest Hoover42

If Americans really want to travel to Cuba they fly to Canada first and get a round trip ticket as in Toronto/Havana/Toronto.

Probably quicker to fly to Mexico first instead of Canada (unless you're coming from the great white north!) ^_^

Guest hitoallusa

That's amazing! Don't you want to write a book about it? Life is full of surprises, isn't it. I'm glad that you had such a wonderful experience.

Story of my life. Almost the same on how I came to buy my home here in Brasil.