Guest BeachBoy

Super-Foods

Guest BeachBoy

According to
, the following are 30 super-foods to incorporate into your diet. I like most of this stuff, so I think today I'm going to see how much of it I can get when I go do food shopping. Thoughts?

1. almonds
  2. avocados
  3. barley
  4. black beans
  5. blueberries
  6. broccoli
  7. bulgur
  8. chard
  9. chicken breasts
  10. edamame
  11. eggs
  12. extra virgin olive oil
  13. kale
  14. kidney beans
  15. kiwi
  16. lentils
  17. mushrooms
  18. oatmeal
  19. oranges
  20. peanut and almond butters
  21. pumpkin
  22. quinoa
  23. sardines
  24. skim milk
  25. spinach
  26. sweet potatoes
  27. walnuts
  28. whole-grain pasta
  29. wild salmon
  30. yogurt (nonfat Greek)

Guest BeachBoy

Just be sure and use a good moisturizer and plenty of mousse. rolleyes.gif

Haha, right? I always think of a vegetable with a cape and tights. Like the California raisins, but super-er. :lol:

Guest BeachBoy

Good list IMHO.

Yeah, I thought so too. I mean, I think I could feasibly get almost everything on that list. It's when they start talking about the precious blades of grass from an Amazonian forest that I start to tune out. :P

• Members

Nuts(not those kind -the other ones) are tricky as they are very high in calories.

I would add chicory, mustard and collard greens. Low-fat ricotta for a bit of variety in your protein. Also papaya and honeydew/crenshaw. Papaya has some amazing properties.

Guest hitoallusa

I tried green papaya salad at a thai restaurant and it was not only good but I really felt better the next day.

Nuts(not those kind -the other ones) are tricky as they are very high in calories.

I would add chicory, mustard and collard greens. Low-fat ricotta for a bit of variety in your protein. Also papaya and honeydew/crenshaw. Papaya has some amazing properties.

• Members

I tried green papaya salad at a thai restaurant and it was not only good but I really felt better the next day.

You can turn regular plain yogurt into Greek style yogurt by draining much of the liquid out of it. Simply put yougurt in a sieve or drain it through a couple of layers of cheese cloth. You will be amazed how much liquid drains out of it in a couple of hours, how creamy the result is, and less sour too, as much of the sourness is carried out in the liquid.

Guest BeachBoy

About low-fat stuff - I made a pact with myself to just get the freshest, least-fucked-with stuff I could find, so I actually don't do low-fat, lite, or any of that stuff. I'd rather get more calories from raw nuts than less calories from something that's been fucked with. I mean, I'm not a healthy freak or anything, but my usual decision making in the grocery store is which items have the least number of ingredients in/things done to them.

You can turn regular plain yogurt into Greek style yogurt by draining much of the liquid out of it. Simply put yougurt in a sieve or drain it through a couple of layers of cheese cloth. You will be amazed how much liquid drains out of it in a couple of hours, how creamy the result is, and less sour too, as much of the sourness is carried out in the liquid.

Sorry to sound like a dumbass, but where can you buy cheesecloth?

• Members

About low-fat stuff - I made a pact with myself to just get the freshest, least-fucked-with stuff I could find, so I actually don't do low-fat, lite, or any of that stuff. I'd rather get more calories from raw nuts than less calories from something that's been fucked with. I mean, I'm not a healthy freak or anything, but my usual decision making in the grocery store is which items have the least number of ingredients in/things done to them.

Sorry to sound like a dumbass, but where can you buy cheesecloth?

LOL... most supermarkets carry it in the kitchen utensils isle next to the meat thermometer, more or less. Also try pharmacies, Walmart, etc. cooking equipments stores, and online too.

As for low fat, that is an individual choice. Personally, carbs are a greater problem for me than fat. Plus I don't like rubberized cheese and yogurt or sweet tasteless watery nonfat milk. Thus I do regular dairy products only. That includes real butter and coffee cream.

I get away with this I guess because I take a statin and although I eat meat, I eat a lot less than in my younger days. I also use psyllium which is very beneficial to lowering blood lipids. It all works for me.

Guest BeachBoy

LOL... most supermarkets carry it in the kitchen utensils isle next to the meat thermometer, more or less. Also try pharmacies, Walmart, etc. cooking equipments stores, and online too.

As for low fat, that is an individual choice. Personally, carbs are a greater problem for me than fat. Plus I don't like rubberized cheese and yogurt or sweet tasteless watery nonfat milk. Thus I do regular dairy products only. That includes real butter and coffee cream.

I get away with this I guess because I take a statin and although I eat meat, I eat a lot less than in my younger days. I also use psyllium which is very beneficial to lowering blood lipids. It all works for me.

Ah, gotcha. My Pop worked in a grocery store my whole growing up - I still can't find my way around a supermarket. :rolleyes:

Speaking of my Pop, I have his constitution, too my mom is the Atkins freak, lives that way even to this day. It's me and him who gain weight eating a steak and lose weight eating pasta. Go figure.