Guest JamesIvory

Chef Ramsay Chef English Cookware

Guest JamesIvory

While checking the special values earlier tonight on QVC and HSN I found Chef Gordon Ramsay has a cookware set for sale on QVC. Ironically, on HSN Chef Todd English also has a cookware set for sale. I am in need of a new set and think I will purchase Chef Ramsays. I am wondering whose would you guys buy?

Ramsay - http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.tsv!.tpl.tsv.cm_scid.TSV

English - http://www.hsn.com/todays-special_xh.aspx?cm_re=billboard1-_-$CampaignName$-_-background

• Members

I have mostly calphalon also which is probably 25 years old. For that reason the the 6qt simer pot I would go with gordons set. You really need to know the thickness of the metal in the bottom of the pan. Don't know if you can find that info anywhere.

• Members

While checking the special values earlier tonight on QVC and HSN I found Chef Gordon Ramsay has a cookware set for sale on QVC. Ironically, on HSN Chef Todd English also has a cookware set for sale. I am in need of a new set and think I will purchase Chef Ramsays. I am wondering whose would you guys buy?

Ramsay - http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.tsv!.tpl.tsv.cm_scid.TSV

English - http://www.hsn.com/todays-special_xh.aspx?cm_re=billboard1-_-$CampaignName$-_-background

Neither. Quality cookware is expensive enough without paying significant extra bucks for a celebrity to lend his name and nothing else to the equipment. I go for a quality product and shop Overstock.com, Amazon, J C Penny Outlet, etc. for a modest discount over physical storefronts.

Now, if they came with the cookware to prepare a dinner then I would reconsider. Who knows, maybe drinks afterward? :shifty:

• Members

Never thought much of Ramsay until I saw this the other day:

Now I have some respect for him. Never heard of the other guy, though he's easier on the eyes.

I'm with TY though, IF I cooked the only celebrity chef who's name I might seek out on something is Alton Brown, because I assume he'd have something to do with the quality and function of anything he put his name on (I don't think he has put his name on anything yet).

Since new episodes of Good Eats have been sparse lately I've also been watching America's Test Kitchen on PBS. Not quite the same vibe but similar in some ways, and I'd probably check their equipment reviews first if I were looking to buy kitchen gear.

• Members

Since I am no longer in Chicago, I haven't sampled any of these three places. But from what I have read the chef of the moment is actually Grant Achatz of Alinea and Next. Reservations at Next are practically impossible to obtain. Alinea has been labeled the best in the country. And the new hotspot is H20, in The Belden-Stratford(my old client, by the way,)in the old Ambria space. For many years, pre-Charlie Trotter/post-Jean Banchet, Ambria was the real-deal. Now once more, the beautiful lobby of the Belden has a restaurant aiming for the top spot.

Guest JamesIvory

Never thought much of Ramsay until I saw this the other day:

This was really difficult to watch. Good for Chef Ramsay on trying to do something to expose this useless cruelty.

• Members

Besides being one of the most obnoxious of TV personalities, Gordon Ramsay has trouble paying his bills.

Debt appears to be someone else's responsibility for him. So the main reason to buy his cookware would be to whap some sense into him.

deadbeat.jpg