Gaybutton

Hua Hin

I've been doing some traveling around lately. Having never been to Hua Hin I wanted to give it a try. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have been there several times and can tell you much more than I can, but here's what I have to say:

In my opinion, if you're looking for a getaway spot that is everything Pattaya is not, then I would recommend a trip to Hua Hin. It is a very clean, beautiful little city without any of the "honky-tonk" style of Pattaya. It is a quiet place with clear waters and white powder sand beaches. It is easy to get to beaches that are set up similarly to Pattaya, with loads of beach umbrellas and concessions and just as easy to get to much more secluded beaches.

There are accommodations for every taste and price range. There are inexpensive and very nice guest houses everywhere. If one is full you can easily find another. The street names are all signed in both Thai and English, making it much easier to find wherever you are trying to go. There are also plenty of luxury hotels, such as a Hilton, Sofitel, Marriott, etc.

We stayed at the Top Mark's Hotel ( http://www.huahinafterdark.com/topmarks-hotel-hua-hin.htm ). We had a choice of rooms for 750 baht per night or 950 baht per night. We stayed in the more expensive room. It was very quiet, spotlessly clean, and on the ground floor. The bathroom has a hot shower, but typical Thai style, no shower curtain to separate the shower from the toilet. However, there was enough distance between the shower and the toilet that we did not end up with a soaking toilet. Top Mark's also gives you no hassle at all if you want to bring in a "guest."

One of the reasons we stayed at Top Mark's was because of its location. It is a very easy walk to the local night market and an even easier walk to restaurants and beaches. There are also plenty of other small hotels and guest houses in the immediate area. From Top Mark's, if you walk toward the beach you encounter a soi with dozens of restaurants, ranging from several waterfront seafood restaurants, to French, Italian, Indian, German, Scandanavian, and of course Thai restaurants, all of which are reasonably priced. If you continue walking up the soi you come to a Wat. Continue walking around the Wat and there are the beaches. There is even horseback riding available on the beaches (at 300 baht for 30 minutes).

As far as I know there are only a few gay bars in Hua Hin, none of which are go-go bars. Have a look at http://www.stickyrice.ws/?view=directory&a...h&place=hhn and http://rice-queen.net for further information. Perhaps someone more familiar with Hua Hin can comment on the gay scene. We did not go to any of the gay venues.

There are several options for getting to Hua Hin. There are flights, buses from Bangkok, and if you have access to a car you can drive there. We drove. It took us exactly four hours and thirty minutes from Pattaya. We took the expressway to Bangkok and took the exit to the Dao Khanong expressway, which takes you over a bridge and places you on Route 35. Take Route 35 out to Route 4, a little less than an hour drive, and then turn left on Route 4. It takes you right to Hua Hin.

Once you get as far as Hua Hin there are baht buses and motorcycle taxis, but they seemed to be few and far between. You may have to go hunting for them. The only place I saw any of them were at major intersections.

One of the cities where we stopped on the way back toward Bangkok was Samut Songkram. A Google search will bring up plenty of web sites about Samut Songkram. I would recommend trying to get there by car. For 400 baht you can hire a boat that takes you all through the canals and will make several stops at different Wats. The highlight is the floating market, which begins between 3:00 and 4:00 PM. You can get there on foot if you wish, but you better have someone who knows the area to help you get there on foot. At night you can take another boat ride to an area that is literally filled with fireflies. The Thais love that!

As I said, I don't know very much about Hua Hin. I hope some others out there will post more information for you. I thought it was a very pleasant trip, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for loads of excitement. I would, however, recommend it if you are looking for a quiet getaway.

Guest travelerjim
I've been doing some traveling around lately. Having never been to Hua Hin I wanted to give it a try. I'm sure there are plenty of people who have been there several times and can tell you much more than I can, but here's what I have to say:

As I said, I don't know very much about Hua Hin. I hope some others out there will post more information for you. I thought it was a very pleasant trip, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for loads of excitement. I would, however, recommend it if you are looking for a quiet getaway.

GB,

Smiles. of Sawatdee Forum, at year end - is soon to Retire to the Hua Hin area...

he has explored the area well....

hopefully he can reply with some of his insights.

TravelerJim

GB,

Smiles. of Sawatdee Forum, at year end - is soon to Retire to the Hua Hin area...

he has exlored the area well....

hopefully he can reply with some of his insights.

TravelerJim

. . . . and now ~ having been discovered ~ it looks as if I'll have to put up with GayButton cruising the place every few weeks.

Oh, joy. :lol:

Cheers ...

Guest travelerjim
. . . . and now ~ having been discovered ~ it looks as if I'll have to put up with GayButton cruising the place every few weeks.

Oh, joy. :lol:

Cheers ...

Smiles,

I do not think GB will have much of a problem

finding your new retirement home in Hua Hin...

GB...FYI - here is Smiles new home...

and other pics of his new life awaiting him in Hua Hin...

"The paparazzi have been busy combing the Hua Hin beach community...

asking all around ....even paying the Thais baht to "tell all" ...

and have been searching for Smiles new retirement home...

BINGO - they have found it!

and sure enough...here is an exclusive snapshot...remember ....you saw it first here.... "

Smiles soon will be a pensioner....on a Canadian Pension - just like the rest of us :-)

Smiles' New Retirement Home:

SmilesNEWHuaHinCastle.jpg

Smiles' lake retreat:

SmilesNEWHomeontheRiverHuaHin.jpg

Smiles' own "cruising" transportation:

SmilesBikeinHuaHin.jpg

Smiles' Estate Island Villa...Offshore (like the former Prime Minister):

SmilesIslandUpcountry.jpg

Smiles' Kitty Kar..the local boys are ALL are waiting in line for a ride with Smiles:

SmilesbfKittyKar.jpg

Here is the scoop as posted earlier this year on sawatdee forum...more pics of Smiles new life....

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum...light=hua%20hin

Enjoy Retirement Smiles...In Hua Hin & the Land of Smiles...

You have EARNED IT!

TravelerJim

Gaybutton, thanks for the excellenet report on the trip. It is some place I would love to visit.

TJ, thanks for the photos of Smiles new place. I don't feel so bad now in my new home. :)

That is something you won't have to worry about. Once was enough for me. I actually thought you would provide more information about Hua Hin for others instead of confining yourself to your usual insult directed at me. Apparently I was wrong.

That is something you won't have to worry about. Once was enough for me. I actually thought you would provide more information about Hua Hin for others instead of confining yourself to your usual insult directed at me. Apparently I was wrong.

Insult? What insult? Seemed like just a humorous little comment to me. I laughed.

Insult? What insult? Seemed like just a humorous little comment to me. I laughed.

I think if you read enough of Smiles' posts that include any references to me at all, which constitutes many of them, it won't take you long to understand why I consider his latest post an insult. I'm glad you had a laugh, but you might also notice, despite the fact that Smiles is apparently quite familiar with Hua Hin, his post included no information whatsoever.

I think if you read enough of Smiles' posts that include any references to me at all, which constitutes many of them, it won't take you long to understand why I consider his latest post an insult. I'm glad you had a laugh, but you might also notice, despite the fact that Smiles is apparently quite familiar with Hua Hin, his post included no information whatsoever.

Oh, but I have read many, many of Smiles' posts. And, I've read plenty of yours. That's why I saw the humor!

Guest callmepm

The option I chose to travel to Hua Hin was the train from BKK. Required over 4 hours and cost about B100 second or B200 first class. Train station is a quaint old structure very close to down town and in walking distance with wheeled luggage.