TampaYankee

The GOMBS Diet

• Members

For those with serious weight issues and attendant health problems such as hypertension, diabetes, bad HDL, etc. and cancer risk issues too, you might want to check out this diet. I think there is a very good chance there is something to this.

Created by Dr Joel Furhman MD and former Olympic athlete, it is based on nutrition density of the diet. GOMBS stands for Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Berries and Beans, and Seeds. Make these the center of your diet and weight will melt away and with it for many, those medical condtions.

PBS solicited him to make a series of videos to go with a couple of books previously published. I saw his pitch. Having been an early adopter of Atkins and seeing it work, I'm just as convinced that this is likely to work. There is no calorie watching or extreme dieting demands -- just make those foods the center of your eating regimen and eat as much as you want. You can have other foods too just cut back on them.

The problem with this for me is one has to be creative in making meals from these foods while cutting back on meats and processed foods. I have no problems with any of these foods but I have limited ways to prepare them and making meals of them every night would get old quickly.

He offers a cook book and others do as well to help make tasty dishes. A quick glimpse gives the impression that it takes more prep effort than I can put into that these days.

Anyway, I do think there is great potential in this diet if one has the discipline and desire to puruse it. Here is a starter link for those interested.

http://healthymealdiet.com/gombs-diet