Gaybutton

Mother of the Year

These days there are not nearly as many beggars in Pattaya as there were years ago, but every so often a few appear. It is not uncommon to find an old woman sitting on a sidewalk, holding an infant or young child, along with holding a collecting cup . . . the picture of pathos. In reality it's far more pathetic than that. Most of the time the child isn't even hers.

Sometimes, again nowhere near as often as years ago, children show up on the beach trying to sell something, usually chewing gum.

If you click the following link, you'll see a sad example of what is really going on and why I'll never give these people a single baht:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/shownews.p...NEWS=0000004053

I prefer to give and hope it does some good even though I know the chances are slim. I have often seen bar boys and waiters give money to beggars. Maybe it's for merit or maybe just kind hearts.

When a boy asks fort 20 baht for food, I rarely resist. Occasionally I go and buy food for him to make sure he really wants to eat.

I prefer to give and hope it does some good even though I know the chances are slim.

I believe the chances are nil, and that's one reason I don't give them anything. First, most of them don't even get to keep it. Most are working for organized crime and they end up with a tiny percentage of whatever they take in. Another reason I won't give them anything is because that is what perpetuates it. If nobody was giving, then they'd be out of business. I believe if nobody was giving, then that mother would not have been able to abuse her own child, at least not in that manner.

To me what is even more of a disgrace is that, according to the article, the Thai authorities are going to give that little girl right back to her mother and send them home. I shudder to think what is going to end up happening to her.

I believe the chances are nil, and that's one reason I don't give them anything. First, most of them don't even get to keep it. Most are working for organized crime and they end up with a tiny percentage of whatever they take in.

You can use almost the exact same arguments for not taking prostitutes in Thailand. Most of them work in bars which operate illegally as prostitution is against the law. People who pay rent boys just perpetuate prostitution and the exploitation of Thai youth. The boys probably keep some of their money but some will go to keep the Mamasungs provided and of course much of the monies is taken by the other boys. The bars are generally run by the underclass, though for some reasons they get put on a pedestal of respect in Pattaya.

So stop giving to beggars and stop taking prostitutes and Thailand will be a better place if you carry the logic through.

Guest buaseng

Making 500 to 1000 Baht a day and able to afford (presumably) two mobile phones. Most revealing, especially when the average monthly wage is around 5000 to 6000 baht!

I have always given the odd coinage change in my pocket to old ladies/mothers (with or without kids on their lap) and to disabled beggars but this makes one think just who is deserving and who is working a scam.

I have always found it hard not to buy a stick of gum when asked. When a beggar asks for money for food, I have no problem taking them to a soup stand and telling the owner to make them what they want and I'll pay for it. I stopped handing out cash long ago but will never refuse to buy someone food who really wants it or I think needs it.