Guest EXPAT

An Open Letter to "American Idol"

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE JUDGES AND DIRECTOR/PRODUCER OF "AMERICAN IDOL" --

Dear American Idol -

I've been a loyal fan for 11 seasons. Tonight is the first of the 24 finalists performances. It was the first time for the boys to sing live on a stage in front of an audience. And the judges didn't have one negative criticism of any of the singers. Really? Really? There is no room for improvement on 13 boy singers who have never done this before. I am so disgusted with Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler. They only saw the good things and frankly you really stretched to find some good things with a few of the singers.

If you want this show to be relevant and more importantly if you want the top 3 finalists to actually have a career, you need to, no YOU MUST give them realistic advice on how they can improve. I'm a novice and I had a list a mile long for each of the singers. And we heard none of that from you. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I really miss Simon Cowell because at least he would have been honest and said the things we were thinking all night long.

I'm sure part of the problem is the moronic director/producer Nigel Lythgoe who drives me nuts already on "So You Think You Can Dance". I really think he has lost touch and needs to watch "The Voice" a little to get a clue on how to give direction.

Please judges, learn to give REAL feedback and not just make the show a love fest. This is not what they need nor is it what the viewing audience wants.

Regards,

Your ardent fan for 11 seasons

Expat. I totally agree with you. I watched it and after each performance, I thought to myself, how mediocre. Yet, the judges threw out praise. I thought it was just me. Even the one guy I really like, long hair angel, I didn't think was good at all and they just praised him.

I will have to admit, the Gentle Giant was great. I love that guy!

Where is Simon when he is needed?

• Members

While many of the performances were really good, I sat thru the whole show thinking "where is the mean judge" ???? I mean afterall, some of the preformances could have used some constructive critique, and oddly they were the most critical to the youngest performer.

I do miss Simons honest and biting words, as well as Paulas "CRAZY".....

This show definately needs some new Direction. Although I wasnt a fan of The Voice last season, this year they have some remarkable talent, and the tensions and competitiveness between the judges makes it fun to watch.... I have totally abandoned X Factor. That was horrid....

Guest EXPAT

It's time for the top 12 girls tonight. I have my tall glass of vodka ready. I'm not anticipating a good night based on what I read from the east coast feeds.

Guest EXPAT

Unfortunately the girls didn't inspire much in me tonight either. But at least the judges gave some constructive criticism tonight for a change. I don't know where they were for the boys performance last night but at least they did their job tonight.

I haven't seen any contestant expect maybe the curly long haired boy that sounded or looked interesting. This will be a boring season I think based on what I've seen so far.

• Members

I don't watch AI but I have watched other similar shows like DWTS and SYTYCD.

I have always thought it was a little more fair and rational to all involved to give the contestants a week or two to get their stage legs before dropping the guillotine. Appearing on stage and in front of a huge TV audience can be a rattling experience for some. Better to get them over that initial stage fright before tossing people out. Else, really good talent might be sacrificed to the initial stage trauma experience. It is easy enough to drop two people after two weeks to keep the show on schedule. Just a thought.

• Members

These shows need a bit of drama and controversy to keep people tuning in. I am of the belief that for the most part the show is planned out from the get-go, and they are just leading us to believe WE have some say in the outcome...

Drama makes for good TV, dont leave it to chance.

Guest zipperzone

Anything with Nigel Lythgoe's name attached to it is a formula for mediocre.

I stopped watching when Simon checked out.

If I want to hear the English language slottered by Randy Jackson, I'll tune back in - but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Must admit, I do miss seeing Ryan Seacrest - always had a thing for him.

Guest EXPAT

The Top 13 were revealed tonight on the live edition of American Idol:

The Top 10 were revealed via America's vote - the five men and five women who got the most votes were put through automatically. They were: Phil Phillips, Jessica Sanchez, Hollie Cavanagh, Joshua Ledet, Heejun Han, Shannon Magrane, Skylar Laine, Colton Dixon, Jermaine Jones and Elise Testone.

The Wild Card spots end up going to - wow. Randy picks Erika Van Pelt, but then J.Lo and Steven go completely insane and pick Jeremy Rosado and DeAndre Brackensick.

The Wild Card spots end up going to - wow. Randy picks Erika Van Pelt, but then J.Lo and Steven go completely insane and pick Jeremy Rosado and DeAndre Brackensick.

Of the 6 that performed, I thought Jeremy and DeAndre deserved the wild card. I like them both but I think the entire group of 13 is lack luster so far. I hope it gets better. I am sure it will as they will get professional coaching and makeup and clothes. I wonder if they will tell DeAndre to stop singing so high?

I really like Jeremy. I think his voice is amazing!

• Members

I am a die hard Idol fan, have been to the concert EVERY year, but I am sad to say THIS years group does not excite me at all. Yes there are a few standouts for me like Erika, Jessica and Colton. Also love Joshua and Jermaine. But HeeJun ? Really......Shannon and Hollie ? Really..... I mean there were way better singers, and I am sorry, HeeJuns comic antics are inappropritate and annoying.... and DeAndres hair tossing and falsetto will get Old really Fast.....

what was America thinking ? I thought Creighton was incredible but he got the boot....

I'm making a long shot prediction here, but I think Colton will WIN...... but then again Adam Lambert lost, as did the hot rocker guy from last season... so who knows.....

I just hope the show isnt a snooze fest....

Guest EXPAT

Colton is interesting but he doesn't come close to Adam Lambert's vocal ability yet he's trying that route. It's hard for me to like him because he's vocal ability is just not there.

I think Deandre might end up being the most improved. I think he's the most commercial.

The gentle giant, Jeremy and Heejun are not American Idols. And the rest seem like a snooze fest to me. So it might be a boring rest of the season.