Gaybutton

Cambodia - Sihanoukville

Guest GaySacGuy

I looked at TravelFish, and at Google Maps, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to any of the Cambodia locations from Ubon. The best is probably into Laos, and then South into Cambodia...guess I will put that kind of trip on hold till I have more information.

Yes, from Ubon -and use proper good AC-buses on good roads, is either via Laos (visum needed-price depends on your natinality)-Pakse, daily bus (www.pnpnsorya.com or look at canbypublications.com for all Khmer bustimes) to PnPn-and from there (but only next day) plenty of buses to Sih.v. An overnight in both Pakse and PnPn is needed-due to times.

It MAY work out a little faster via Thailand-make a circle!

Sih.v->Koh Kong border (this is now a fairly good road), minibus Thai to Trat, then either via BKK/Mochit (as then you have the better fast motorway express buses-and plenty of overnights to Ubon), OR the slower allstops route-change Chantaburi, change Khorat or Buriram. If you lve from Sih.v. early, take the BKK route and are not averse to these nightbuses, you are in Ubon about 25 hrs. later-next day.

If you have never been to KHmerland-go via Siem reap and see Angkor-obviously the highlight of that country. For just some gay meets Sih.v. is no better or likely worse as any Thai provincial smalltown.

Roads in Cambodia become much more better in past few years.

Usually I travel to Cambodia by ground from Bangkok to Aranyapraphet (border) by taxi (2200-2500 Bath) 350 km, then use taxi service in Poi Pet from http://www.angkorcars.com/ - they have good price 45$ per car to Siem Reap and pickup me directly form Cambodian immigration office.

I travel not alone, so cost per person is OK, travel takes about 5 - 5,5 hours in total: a little bit more than with airplane (time of travel to airport in BKK + time in airport + flight + time at Cambodian border + way to hotel in Siem Reap is about 4 hours). But it is more comfortable and quickly than travel by buses.

For to make border crossing even shorter I use Cambodian e-visa from website on Cambodian Ministry of FA http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/evisa/ - excellent service: at working time usually I got visa in 2-3 hours to my e-mail after submitting of request.

As I know there are some taxi services to Sihanukville from Aranyapraphet (Poi Pet at Cambodian side of border), but I haven't use them yet.

and to add to this map and the original quoted sites, look at this one:

www.talesofasia.com

Details all borderposts and transport to/from and potential scams and other things good-to-know!

Visum to ente4r Cmabodia is needed fro about anyone-but its a kind of money-making formality only: pay 20US$+1 foto-and ignore (and sit it out!) all requests for more or payTHB etc.

Visum to ente4r Cmabodia is needed fro about anyone-but its a kind of money-making formality only: pay 20US$+1 foto-and ignore (and sit it out!) all requests for more or payTHB etc.

Yes. At my first visit to Cambodia was like this: I had no e-visa and in Cambodian visa office they ask me first for 1000 Bath per visa, after my "no, only 20$" they lost interest to me and after 10 min officer come and told "only for you 100 Bath extra"... then I had pay 100 Bath coz otherwise I should wait even more...

That why I use e-visa every time - when I cross border i leave Cambodian visa office aside: my way is directly from Thai immigration office to Cambodian immigration office.

Another tip is - to be at border before noon: after midday buses with backpackers from BKK start to arrive and queue in immigration offices grow dramatically. But before noon there are just 3-5 person in queue so I cross border with all formalities just at 10 min... After midday it can take up to 1-1.5 hours...