Lucky

Bare: The Musical

• Members

Bare is a musical that has been around in various stages of development. It is now playing at the New World Stages, where I saw it last week. The story is about a gay high school boy who begins an affair with a closeted jock. What could go wrong with that?

Of course the jock does not say anything when his boyfriend is bullied, and he even calls someone a faggot in front of his jock friends. Both boys end up in the school play, Romeo and Juliet. Jock plays Romeo, but no, the gay boy does not play Juliet.

Jock has a drug dealing sister. When a slutty new girl comes in, he dates her in an effort to show his heterosexuality. Does she get pregnant? Is he the father? Does the pressure from his gay relationship cause him more stress?

Read no further if you might see the show. But yes, she does, and yes, he is, and yes, it does. So he turns to his sister for some G to help him relax.

Then, while on stage as Romeo, he is in a scene where his gay boyfriend is also appearing. Suddenly the jock collapses, dead from an overdose of the G his sister gave him.

Having the gay character die is something I thought went out in the Sixties. But the cheesiness of this show needs an ending like that. The performers are all earnest, and they sing their little hearts out. But their voices are not little, and they sing VERY LOUDLY. This is accompanied by VERY LOUD MUSIC. Today's youth seem to need everything at high volume.

The young audience at the performance I attended seemed to like the show very much. Some critics say it is an episode of Glee on steroids, or something like that. The two male leads- the lovers- are not particularly handsome. I thought that fact might be relevant to some reading this!

• Members

The two male leads- the lovers- are not particularly handsome. I thought that fact might be relevant to some reading this!

How close to naked do the lovers get?

(I hate to be that guy but it had to be asked.)