• Members

Amour won for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars tonight. I wasn't watching the Oscars, I was watching Amour. it's the story of an elderly couple in France. The wife suffers a stroke, the husband cares for her. It goes okay until she has a second stroke, and then the caregiving is not so easy. The acting is very good for both leads, but only the wife is up for an Oscar. As of this writing, the award has not been announced.

The film does a great job of showing the level of commitment in a relationship that leads one spouse to care for the other. Yet the husband is no spring chicken, and it gets much harder once the second stroke hits. The daughter of the couple is portrayed as distant and unrealistic.

The movie raises the question of assisted suicide as, after the first stroke, the wife does not want to go on. After the second stroke the husband doesn't want her to go on either, especially as he sees her deteriorating. It's poignant.

The director, in my opinion, should not win any awards. At times the movie moves so slowly as to be painful. Other scene changes are abrupt, and some scenes leave the viewer wondering what he just saw and why it was on the screen.

All in all, a good, but not great movie. It's in French with English subtitles, and sometimes none.