TotallyOz

Totally Oz Visits Brazil for the Month of March!

I HOPE you GET BETTER SOON! Being ill on a vacation long planned for, etc. is utter hell. If this is your first visit to Salvador and you are in need of a certified tour guide, Fernando has a superb reputation. He's on TripAdvisor, is gay and experienced, etc. I have not used his services directly but others whom I know have and had nothing but raves about his expertise, etc. Two amigos of mine plan to use his services when they venture to Salvador {Bahia} in July/August 2013.

How do I find Fernando's information?

I met this young man named Jacques (sounded like Jackson) at a local venue and he spoke decent English and we chatted for a long time and I asked him for lunch. He agreed and we spent an hour just chatting about New York, Salvador and travel. We ate at a local por kilo place he wanted to eat at that has all organic produce and nothing is cooked that is not from their farm. It was nice and tasty food and the bill was about 65R for both of us. A very nice young man. More on my day a bit later but thought I'd share a quick photo. :smile:

post-100001-0-87056900-1363377275_thumb.

Today was the first day I have felt like getting out of the hotel. I knew I wanted to see a few things in Salvador before I go to Rio next week so I decided to venture out to the old area called the Historic Center of Salvador or as the locals say, The Pelourinho. It is an area that is in the western area of the city and it was the main part of the city during the Portuguese Colonial Period. There are many churches and historical moments dating back from the 17th through the 19th centuries. Since Salvador was the first capital of Brazil and the city is one of the oldest in the "New World" the area has amazing significance to the people here. It is also where the center of the slave trade into Brazil was located and thus why you see some very dark black bodies. Salvador is known for his beautiful black men and I have yet to take a ride in a taxi where my mouth was not dropping at the sight of such beauties.

I ended up meeting a nice guy today and having lunch with him. He was fun to talk to and we exchanged numbers. He wanted to visit me tonight but as I just over the flu, I did not want to risk him getting sick so I told him I could not tonight but perhaps on Sunday night. He is a VERY gay boy and not a money guy from what I can tell. I think he just liked the attention I gave him when I saw him and as we talked, he noticed I couldn't take my eyes off his ass. :smile: What a lovely monument it is!

Our lunch was at a por kilo place. These places are all over Brazil and it is you pay for what you eat. This specific place was one where all the food was home grown in the area. It was reasonable and tasty and I am glad I went there with him for lunch.

The rest of my afternoon was spent walking around the art shops and street vendors looking at artwork and soaking in the scenery that is unique to Salvador. I will say that the thing that surprised me the most was there was a police station on just about every street I visited. Not even a few hundred feet away from the last one. This tells me that perhaps the area is not safe or that it is very safe. In either case, I felt fine walking around and shopping and yes, Firecat, I took my camera for you. :smile: LOL

There were plenty of great inside art shops but I also loved the outside street graffiti.

There were tourists everywhere and artists on display on the street along with a few pack of dogs walking around. Everyone just seemed to be doing their own thing.

After a few hours of the heat and sun, my body recovering from the flu I just had to head back to the hotel to drink a lot of cold water and relax. It was a fun day and one that I really enjoyed. Salvador is beautiful and this part was divine!

post-100001-0-77278100-1363393237_thumb.

post-100001-0-00105300-1363393239_thumb.

post-100001-0-62176200-1363393240_thumb.

post-100001-0-38389900-1363393242_thumb.

post-100001-0-65012900-1363393243_thumb.

post-100001-0-04258100-1363393245_thumb.

post-100001-0-40174400-1363393246_thumb.

post-100001-0-63837200-1363393247_thumb.

post-100001-0-80645600-1363393248_thumb.

post-100001-0-92440600-1363393250_thumb.

post-100001-0-43242800-1363393252_thumb.

post-100001-0-90554500-1363393253_thumb.

post-100001-0-13197800-1363393255_thumb.

post-100001-0-36786900-1363393256_thumb.

post-100001-0-78519800-1363393257_thumb.

post-100001-0-78109600-1363393259_thumb.

post-100001-0-39258700-1363393261_thumb.

post-100001-0-62879100-1363393263_thumb.

post-100001-0-25595400-1363393265_thumb.

De nada! I'm always willing to help, for others have done the same to me here and at "that other site" as well! - :smile: - :smile: - :smile:

I had hoped he would respond to email but he did not. I sent him a message on his facebook page, email, skype and phone and he did not respond back. As I leave on Monday, I don't think I'll be able to see him but I did try and he sounds like a good guy but he may just not have been available for this week.

• Members

The old buildings and cobble stone streets mixed with the beautiful colors of the homes and shops rolling up and down the hillside enclave of the Old Center of Salvador, Brazil is just beautiful. Centro Histórico - Salvador

Salvador {Bahia}, Brasil is my SECOND favorite city of this country: Rio {"He Oh" pronunciation} is my FIRST.

• Members

Good to see you are recovering and enjoying Salvador TotallyOz. Hope you don't miss to watch a "Roda de Capoeira" - I think it's amazing all the moves those hot guys can do.

There are two cultural shows that are NOT to be missed either. One is held at the art center or museum; the other is in the colonial part of town. I've gone to both, twice to the latter one. Also, there is a "drumming party" also held by a popular musical group in old town as well. Sorry I can't remember its name though it's rather popular, but with your recent health problemo, I'd give this a second and third thought. You don't want anything to impair your ear situation any further.

I thank you for those gorgeous photos. Do take some of the elevator and the bunda statue which is outside of it in old town. Try to go to the "AFrican MUseum" if possible, too! {Written on Saturday morn/California time 11:42A}

I went to the Barra Lighthouse today. It is at the end of the Barra peninsula and housed inside an ancient Portuguese fort, Barra Lighthouse (Farol da Barra). It is a prime spot to view the spectacular sunsets and views across All Saints Bay and to watch the boats go by, sailing boats float and men out on the rocks fishing for food. I climbed to the top of the lighthouse (10R) and saw the museum and took some time for some photos. It was very enjoyable.

Inside the lighthouse and youll find a small museum filled with maps, charts and artifacts many of which were recovered from sunken ships transporting the slaves during the colonial period. There were several beach areas nearby and I enjoyed watching the families play in the waves for a bit. But, it was getting a bit rainy and wet so I headed back to hotel for rest.

At night, I decided I at least wanted to see a few of the saunas. I also had to go to Citibank before my trip to the Sea Turtle Sanctuary tomorrow. So, I hired a driver for the night and took off.

Thermas Olympus | Rua Tuiuti, 183 | 71 329 0060

Olympus is small, quiet, basic, and has astonishingly beautiful boys who give great massages (and other delights). It isn't packed, though, so you can basically have your choice and even negotiate the rate. Tonight when I went, there were only 3 boys there. 2 were extremely hot but the owner wanted me to leave all my clothes in the locker and with only 3 people there, I wanted to keep my wallet and money with me. It was not going to happen, so I left. There was no fee to look around and see the boys. They did make clear this this was not a sauna but a house of prostitution and the boys were working boys and they wanted customers and not lookers. LOL

Planetario 11 | Rua José Duarte, 11 | 71 3321 4511 | http://www.planetario11.com.br/

This club, known to locals as simply P11, looks unassuming from the outside but inside is a huge sauna packed with working boys they say if you can't get laid here, you can't get laid anywhere. Stick around for the shows and other entertainment, ranging from drag to strippers to DJs. Tonight was a Saturday night and there were about 35 boys there. 90 percent of them were very dark black boys. A few lighter color guys and 2 twinks. The vast majority of guys had 6 packs and were beautiful. The average age was 22-28. I talked to about 8 boys and none of them spoke English. However, they were all nice and friendly and loved to show me their massive cocks. All said they were not gay. 5 of them said they were both Active and Passive. The two twinky boys were both active and passive. LOL

The place is big and it comprises 3 levels with dark rooms, movie rooms, a big theater screen, a bar and several relaxing rooms and one smoking room. There were plenty of customers there. The place is hard to find so before you go print out a map for your driver as most won't find it easily.

In fact, when you go anywhere in the city, I suggest you mark the spot on a map to show them. Not one taxi I have seen has GPS and they are not like the Sao Paulo taxis and just roll down the window and ask where something is. They just keep driving and driving and trying to find it.

The area where the saunas were is far away from my hotel and not in as nice an area as the tourist area. But, I never felt uncomfortable. However, I did keep the same driver for the night. He drove me to the Citibank and then to a few of the saunas. The cost for the night was 100R.

post-100001-0-22324900-1363474579_thumb.

post-100001-0-98986800-1363474580_thumb.

post-100001-0-54605800-1363474582_thumb.

post-100001-0-28668300-1363474584_thumb.

post-100001-0-29904300-1363474586_thumb.

post-100001-0-24524000-1363474588_thumb.

post-100001-0-53617400-1363474589_thumb.

• Members

Check the times for low tide to swim at the piscinas. And don't forget the old fort south of town. And look out for Yvete. She has a home right near the sea turtles project. Maybe half a kilometer in distance. Perhaps the dune buggies to Diogo? And super super ice creams.

Guest FourAces

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I am feeling better today and went out tonight in front of my hotel to people watch as I had to get out of my hotel room. :smile:

In front of the hotel is a large beach that everyone plays volleyball and soccer. There is an area for skateboarders and roller bladders. I always enjoy just sitting and watching everyone.

Who you trying to fool I saw Capricorn One you're not in Brazil you're in Huntington Beach :D:o:P Oh and forget the pan that RA comments about I need to teach you how to zoom in :D^_^

btw Read tonight you had become ill in all seriousness happy that you're feeling better. Stop and smell the cum once in a while even the all mighty OZ needs some down time.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I was about to comment that you must not be with Tomcal (Until I read the next thread). .Tom would have not only gotten their pics, but their "attention" as well in a three-way programma..

Today was the day I had set aside for the trip I have planned my entire faction and that is a road trip to the Praia Do Forte and the Tamar Sea Turtle Project. I know most people have no desire to ride 120 KM in a taxi to see some giant turtles but it was a part of my must see list.

I was not able to book a professional tour guide this trip as they either didn't get back to me or they were booked. So, I had a nice taxi driver I liked and he said he would take me for 300R. He does not speak English and thus we had zero communication but I thought he was fun and enjoyable.

He is required to have a proper shirt and pants to sit in line at the hotel for a taxi ride but today he showed up on swim trunks and shirt and eye glasses. He was ready to party. :smile:

We left at 8am today and spent the entire day. He did not rush me one time and we stopped at about 7 different beaches along the way. Each one was beautiful in its own way. Some were small fishing villages and others were more organized and larger communities. I felt very safe in each one and very comfortable.

I loved watching the locals do their business whether it was fishing, swimming, riding horseback or cooking. It was just a really enjoyable cultural experience.

I wish I had listened to IHPGUY and spent a few days out there just on the beaches and doing nothing but soaking in the sun. Had I had his vast knowledge, I would have done the trip differently and most likely would have booked a small hotel on the beach and just enjoyed my time there.

The Sea Turtle project was great to see and I really enjoyed it. They save thousands of turtles every year and I had a big smile on my face the entire time I was there. The village the sanctuary was in looks great. Lots of shops, stores and restaurants. We ate at a local little cafe and had a typical Brazilian lunch. We then kept going farther up the beaches.

I enjoyed seeing the surfer boys, the families all laying in the ocean and the fishermen. It was a full day today!

Summary for Salvador:

Like others, I have found Salvador to be a real treat. It has become one of my favorite cities in Brazil. I love the people and the atmosphere and the beaches can't be beat.

I liked the Mecure Hotel here. It was clean and great room service and good breakfast.

On the street as the hotel were tons of little restaurants. They were not so cheap but they were divine. I found one that has lunch specials for 27R - 32R and I ate there every day for lunch.

Getting around is hard if you don't speak the language. Most likely, next time I am here I will get a boy to travel here with me. I need someone from Brazil that can speak both English and Portuguese. It was my plan for Fortaleza but as I was sick, I didn't find anyone.

The city is cheap depending on what you do and where you eat. But, the taxis take a while to get from one place to the next. Next time I might get a rental car and do my own driving.

The boys here are divine and they have great bodies. Each morning I was up early watching the boys run on the beach, play ball, swim, etc. It is a very active city.

post-100001-0-36524200-1363563428_thumb.

post-100001-0-65454900-1363563431_thumb.

post-100001-0-89669800-1363563433_thumb.

post-100001-0-95188700-1363563436_thumb.

post-100001-0-52859300-1363563439_thumb.

post-100001-0-86476200-1363563442_thumb.

post-100001-0-73318300-1363563446_thumb.

post-100001-0-24645800-1363563452_thumb.

post-100001-0-62764400-1363563459_thumb.

post-100001-0-00494100-1363563464_thumb.

post-100001-0-29804000-1363563470_thumb.

post-100001-0-50651000-1363563474_thumb.

post-100001-0-99046600-1363563479_thumb.

post-100001-0-84387500-1363563484_thumb.

post-100001-0-85747100-1363563487_thumb.

• Members

I had hoped he would respond to email but he did not. I sent him a message on his facebook page, email, skype and phone and he did not respond back. As I leave on Monday, I don't think I'll be able to see him but I did try and he sounds like a good guy but he may just not have been available for this week.

Obrigado! You tried. Perhaps next time with prior notice, for apparently he's busy and or travels a lot. He failed to answer my

query of him which I posted on Facebook a few weeks back when I thought I'd be in Bahia in July/August 2013. My plans are still in abeyance-- more "no" than "yes!"

• Members

Obrigado! You tried. Perhaps next time with prior notice, for apparently he's busy and or travels a lot. He failed to answer my

query of him which I posted on Facebook a few weeks back when I thought I'd be in Bahia in July/August 2013. My plans are still in abeyance-- more "no" than "yes!"

Oz, I personally what to thank you for apprising me {us} of your experiences and adventures while you're in the various cities in Brazil. Every time I read your reports and view your wonderful pics, I keep asking myself will I be "doin' it" in July/August 2013. I say this because I'll be in Europe for a month in May and early June, beginning in Berlin and ending in Barcelona. The only thing left to do for this trip is to organize myself as a traveler; the specifics have been fulfilled.

Again, muito obrigado and continue to enjoy and remain safe and well! Axiom

• Members

Yes, when I first went to Rio in 2002, I found out the hard way that Ingles is NOT widely spoken, this highly dampened my trip; I aborted it and returned home. Since then I've been with a friend or have had a guide or guides in each place I've ventured. Almost all of my guides, excepting the one I had in Salvador, have been gay and could speak my language as well. So I could very definitely identify with what you wrote regarding communication or lack of.

I'd advise against your renting an auto and driving in Brasil unless you've done something like this previously. It's not the easiest based on observation as well as from what others had relayed to me in terms of transportation in Brasil and Argentina.

• Members

Thanks for the photos. Brings back some great memories from 2011. Did you make it to the piscinas naturais? Imbassai? The dune ride to Diogo? The fort? Passing glance of Ivete Sangalo? I'd love to read your impressions.

The fort at Praia do Forte, the Castelo de Garcia d'Avila is the first real one built in the western hemisphere by the Portuguese to protect their colony. It has been well-excavated in places and partially restored. Some wealthy and super chic come from Salvador rent it out for weddings/private parties. If you had stayed at one of the many pousadas in the village, you would definitely had found "company" The people in town need a modicum of English to interact with the tourists coming from Europe.

Driving south from the airport into Salvador is a bit easier than Rio or Sao Paulo, until you get into the older parts of town. Then..not too fun. But heading north from the airport into the prefeitura known as the Mata de Sao Joao is quite easy. Long stretches of open road.

• Members

For anyone thinking of hiring a car, in the more modern and open cities that I have visited, such as the newer parts of Salvador, all of Belo Horizonte and Campinas, are easy to drive in. Certainly easier than the hilly parts of San Francisco. Much like Seattle and Portland.

Thanks for the photos. Brings back some great memories from 2011. Did you make it to the piscinas naturais? Imbassai? The dune ride to Diogo? The fort? Passing glance of Ivete Sangalo? I'd love to read your impressions.

I did make it to the Imbassai and loved it. I also liked the Fort. But, I didn't have time for the dun ride as we were short on time for the day and I was tired. However, I did keep all your suggestions down for my next visit.