Guest tomcal

Porto Alegre/Rio March 2013

Guest tomcal

I thought for a ending to this thread, I would post some photos of Porto Alegre and also prove to the naysayers out there(you know who you are)that I occassionaly do take photos of things other than naked boys on my trips! :-)

The first pic is a view of the Sheraton Hotel, the tall blue and white building in the center of the photo and the park next to it. This park has trails thru it with many joggers/walkers, lots of hot guys exercising. It is in the very upscale neigborhood of Moinjos de Vento and had many older beautiful homes and is very safe to walk around in.

The 2nd pic is the small but modern Porto Alegre airport.

The 3rd pic is the boutique 3 story mall attached to the Sheraton hotel.

Guest tomcal

a couple of more photos

the first one is the Public Market downtown with a open air type arrangement, very different then it looks from the outside. Hundreds of stalls arranged by category, fresh fish, vegatables,fruits, candy, crafts, etc. also has restaurants, fun place to go on a Sat. morning for breakfast or lunch, great people watching...........

Ok I had to end this with at least one naked P.A. guy!! :-)

• Members

Great pix. Often when one travels, one has to wonder what others might think or do. I have no illusions about what you think or do. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Guest lurkerspeaks

Great pix. Often when one travels, one has to wonder what others might think or do. I have no illusions about what you think or do. :smile:

Best regards,

RA1

3qlsc8.jpg

Guest tomcal

Great photos Tom. You must have purchased a new camera? I didn't think your camera worked outside of a 12x12 room with boys packed inside. :smile: Nice pics!

I love my Iphone! and the videos on it of P.A. are even better! lol

Guest tomcal

Some additional photos and info on Porto Alegre.

The city, located on the Guaiba River(at the junction of 5 rivers), was founded in 1742 by immigrants from the Azores. Since the 19th century the city has received large influx of immigrants, particularly Germany, Poland, and Italy. it has become an important port, approx. 70 miles from the ocean. The people here consider themselves Gauchos which occupy Argentina/Uraguay/Paraguay.

From the internet:

The gaúchos are very proud of their land and culture. In 1835 a revolution which declared Rio Grande do Sul independent from Brazil broke out, the most significant national conflict of the Brazilian Empire (1822-1889), named the Farroupilha Revolution or Farrapos War. This war wreaked havoc across the entire state during 10 bloody years, killing nearly 20% of the gaúchos and ultimately leading to a peace treaty where the Republica Riograndense once again became part of Brazil. It was also in Rio Grande do Sul (Porto Alegre) where the 1930 Revolution which overthrew the president Washington Luis began, and so was from Rio Grande do Sul the most important Brazilian communist revolutionary of all times: Luis Carlos Prestes, who led the nation-wide communist upheaval in 1935. For such reasons, among many others, the Gaúchos (Riograndenses) are particularly proud of their mother state, many considering themselves as gauchos rather than Brazilians.

and the final 4 pics....

The first pic is a Gaucho rodeo we went to.

2nd pic is is view of downtown across the river

3rd pic is the view of the new soccer stadium built for the 2014 world cup

4th pic is the view I had in my room! :-)

• Members

Your mention about immigrants from the Azores is interesting. Of course, they are mostly Portuguese in origin but because the Azores are so sparsely populated even today, I am surprised about any notable immigration to anywhere else. I am not doubting you, just surprised.

I have been to Lajes Field a couple of times and find the Azores interesting. The climate is interesting, the locale is interesting, etc.

There is much to learn about the Azores as well as where ever their citizens went, etc.

Thanks for your report.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

There is much to learn about the Azores as well as where ever their citizens went, etc.

Please pardon the highjack of the highjack, but this calls to mind an old drinking ditty. :rolleyes:

german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif

There once was a girl from the Azores

Who had syph, crotch cricket, and sores!

Not a dog in the street

Would touch the green meat

That hung in festoons from her drawers!

german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif . . . german_beer.gif

Guest tomcal

Your mention about immigrants from the Azores is interesting. Of course, they are mostly Portuguese in origin but because the Azores are so sparsely populated even today, I am surprised about any notable immigration to anywhere else...

RA1, I was surprised too as the Azores have a relatively small population, I had a friend in New Bedford MA., so said New Bedford had a heavy concentration of people from the Azores. I found this on wikipedia:

"Florianópolis and Porto Alegre in the Southern Region of Brazil were founded by Azoreans, who accounted for over half of Rio Grande do Sul(the state that P.A. is in) and Santa Catarina's population in the late 18th century.[37] As late as 1870-4 some 46,000 Portuguese emigrated to Brazil and a large proportion were from the Azores"

• Members

I have been to New Bedford and found out then it is populated by Portuguese but did not realize they were referring to Azoreans. Old fishing and whaling vessels can still be seen in the area.

Thanks for the reply.

Best regards,

RA1