Guest NCBored

Problems accessing the site

Guest NCBored

For the past several weeks (at least!), it's very rare for me to complete a visit to this site without experiencing an 'unable to display the page' event. When this happens, 'refresh' almost never works and it often takes me several attempts to re-enter the site. I don't have this issue with any other site, and usually when this happens, I immediately test some other sites, and they're fine.

:(

• Members

It's been acting up for me too over the past few weeks, just as you say. It's mostly a case of 'stalling' when waiting for a page to load. It usually loads eventually, but not always.

I haven't complained because, when I switch from Safari to Firefox, the page loads OK. Not sure if the programmers test the updates with various browsers but my guess is, for this last one anyway, they didn't.

The other problem is getting booted when I hit the 'post' button. Something about not having permission for that action. I think RA1 has had a similar problem in the past, but it's a new one for me.

As I'm planning to keep Safari as my browser, I've resigned myself to slow loading and posting problems until the next site update occurs. Until then, I probably won't be infesting the Board quite as much.

housefly.gif

• Members

I am having fewer problems and I have no idea why. Yesterday I downloaded 9 updates to my Windows 7 and that seems to have helped.

Regardless, I still have periodic problems with slow loading of a page or the site itself. Ditto with posting.

Best regards,

RA1

• Members

Speaking of avatars or, more specifically, nom de plumes, you, Adam Smith, do not especially seem to be Scottish or dead. However, upon occasion, you do seem to wax philosophically. Does that ordinarily provide a deep luster or merely a bright shine? ^_^

I tend to think "both". ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

Does that ordinarily provide a deep luster or merely a bright shine? ^_^

Regrettably I suspect it is the latter.

I am just now departing a technology conference where (ahem) I was one of the less slow-witted in attendance, yet we all showed our asses as little more than professional gasbags. Trying to sell consulting to engineers who are manifestly more knowledgeable about all the technical aspects than we are. The one, sort of pitiable in the grand scheme, thing we have of value to sell is advice about navigating the political minefields inside manufacturing enterprises, to help them do their thing better.

You can see from that diagnosis why I am a little bit in a funk right now about the profession I chose.

• Members

Well, we have both dealt with engineers before and not just those who drive trains. ^_^

They can be brilliant and very annoying. ^_^

Politics can make strange bedfellows but some are attractive nonetheless. ^_^

Best regards,

RA1

We have programmers and our hosting company working on this but when they test, they can't get the same results. If anyone can do a QuickTime (or any other way) screen capture movie of when this happens to them, it will help. I have experience the same thing and when I go to make a recording, it works perfectly and have been unable to get this. Any assistance is appreciated.

BBB, the Maintenance was only for forum and down when we upgraded to newer version.

• Members

Here's a line that just now appeared at the top third of the Forum page, in lieu of the BoyToy banner, login box, and Flirt4Free banner:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method general::getticker() in /home/boytoy/httpdocs/forum_top.php on line 76

Guest NCBored

Here's a line that just now appeared at the top third of the Forum page, in lieu of the BoyToy banner, login box, and Flirt4Free banner:

Fatal error: Call to undefined method general::getticker() in /home/boytoy/httpdocs/forum_top.php on line 76

Me too.

• Members

The good news is that the site's a lot zippier since that error message appeared in place of the BoyToy splash screen, the Flirt4Free banner, and the login box. Looks like the programmers are narrowing down where the problem is.

The BoyToy splash screen and the Flirt4Free banner both currently appear on the site's Home page and don't seem to be slowing down anything there.

I noticed a few days ago that the login box on the site's Home page and the login box on the Forums page appeared different. Maybe that's where the problem is. It could also explain why I sometimes get a message that I don't have the right permissions when I try to post. It's as if the Forums page has trouble deciding whether I'm really logged in or not.

As of now, the only place to log in is on the Home page. After doing so earlier, I did notice a brief 'hang' when clicking the box that takes me from the Home page to the Forums page, though it happened only once.

My working hypothesis is that the programmers will find the problem swirling around the login process on the Forums page. I hope OZ will let us know what they discover.

And if the site keeps vexing OZ,

Perhaps he'll have to call in WOZ. :rolleyes:

Steve_Wozniak_de2dec11-5ab9-4171-8967-72

^_^ Thanks for your patience guys. Since we can't seem to figure out what is causing the slowness, I have just started removing things that were done in the past few weeks. We did one today and hope that may rectify the issue.

Is anyone still having issues?

Guest FourAces

:smile: Thanks for your patience guys. Since we can't seem to figure out what is causing the slowness, I have just started removing things that were done in the past few weeks. We did one today and hope that may rectify the issue.

Is anyone still having issues?

For me its been off and on. Some times no issues others I can click to open a thread and in the browser progress bar it says, waiting for boytoy ... and can take up to 45 seconds or even longer for the site to respond.

I cannot figure it out and cannot imagine much of what you might have added that would cause such a slow down.

Good luck on trying to correct it though.

Guest NCBored

The good news is that the site's a lot zippier since that error message appeared in place of the BoyToy splash screen, the Flirt4Free banner, and the login box. Looks like the programmers are narrowing down where the problem is.

The BoyToy splash screen and the Flirt4Free banner both currently appear on the site's Home page and don't seem to be slowing down anything there.

I noticed a few days ago that the login box on the site's Home page and the login box on the Forums page appeared different. Maybe that's where the problem is. It could also explain why I sometimes get a message that I don't have the right permissions when I try to post. It's as if the Forums page has trouble deciding whether I'm really logged in or not.

As of now, the only place to log in is on the Home page. After doing so earlier, I did notice a brief 'hang' when clicking the box that takes me from the Home page to the Forums page, though it happened only once.

My working hypothesis is that the programmers will find the problem swirling around the login process on the Forums page. I hope OZ will let us know what they discover.

And if the site keeps vexing OZ,

Perhaps he'll have to call in WOZ. :rolleyes:

Steve_Wozniak_de2dec11-5ab9-4171-8967-72

Interesting about the login.

I have the Forum page bookmarked and it's usually my entry point, since new reviews are pretty infrequent.

Usually, on my first visit of the day, I have the Login box for the Forum appearing, with my name & password filled in. But, if i DON"T logon (i.e., clock the Login button), I still can post (as I'm doing now). So - what's the point of the login?

I'm ujsing IE9, by the way.