Lucky

Inquiry On Using Miles for A Trip to Europe

• Members

Do we have many here who use frequent flyer miles to fly to Europe? I have had great success in going to Brazil and Thailand-and Hong Kong- without a problem, but going to London is not worth it, unless I am missing something.

When I tried to use my miles to go business or First to London, the "fee" charged is almost the entire coach fare! So, give up over 100,000 miles, then pay $1100 in fees, and you get a "free" ticket to London. But regular coach fare at the time I checked was only $1200. I think I could suffer coach rather than pay that much, or I could stay home. Actually, I went to Brazil. We've done that several times now for 40,000 miles each in coach and $54 for a co-pay. Added fees to Thailand are similar. One problem with United is that on a Saver Award, they make you fly Business or First on Air China, not United. But they are great on coach tickets.

Any ideas on using my miles on AA to visit London? Fly into Paris?

The high fees are mostly on British. Because of this, everybody is trying to go on American, so their awards are increasingly more difficult to use. Your on the west coast so even more difficult. If you really want to go, you need to be creative. Iberia to Madrid , connect to Lhr.

AirBerlin. Finnair thru Helsinki. Long way around, but available.