Guest mauRICE

Pattaya in three days

Guest mauRICE

If one had three days and three nights in Pattaya, what gay venues would you suggest they visit? I have a couple of friends from the UK who are intending to go in mid August. The last time I went was four/five years ago and I'm sure a lot has changed since then, or has it? ;)

PS They are not interested in a walking tour of Pattaya's most famous balconies.

PPS These are get up and go type of guys so I reckon lounging by the beach won't be of much interest to them.

Try Scuba diving for a day. There are many outfits that offer daily lessons and it is fun and the water is clean when you go out from the main beaches.

A day on one of the Islands is nice and enjoyable. You can take a ferry or you can rent a private boat for the day for a reasonable price.

The Thai Temple here is amazing and something that should not be missed.

The Tiger Farm is fun if they have never been before and great for photos.

Nighttime is easily occupied. A night in Boyztown. Be sure to try BoyzBoyzBoyz, Funny Boys and Wild West Boys. There are plenty of others in the area to try. If they want dinner in the area, Cafe New Orleans is great and tasty.

A night to see Sunne Plaza can be fun. Crazy Dragon is still a great mainstay, a trip to Jim Jimmy James is fun and there are other bars to look around in. A drink at Memories and Come In bar would be fun to sit and watch the street happenings. There are good places to eat in that area as well. I like Po Pot.

Even if they are 100 percent gay, they need to at least walk down Walking Street at night to see the hustle and bustle of the guys and girls there.

As all cities, there is bowling, movies, good restaurants, etc. They will have no problem finding entertainment. Also, the touristy things like jet skiing, bungy jumps, go karts, etc. If they like golf, there are some great places not far from Pattaya.

Any specifics on what they like?

PPS These are get up and go type of guys so I reckon lounging by the beach won't be of much interest to them.

There are some decent half-day tour options you can find either through your hotel or from some travel agents along the main streets. I for one always enjoy Siracha Tiger Zoo and Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens. Both have web sites. If you have to pick one I would recommend Nong Nooch. You can catch a cultural show, have your pic taken feeding a baby tiger, being hoisted by an elephant or with a couple of orangutans (always makes for good conversation back home).

These obviously are not gay venues but do give you a sense of the Thai culture beyond what you get in Boyztown

Guest mauRICE
These obviously are not gay venues but do give you a sense of the Thai culture beyond what you get in Boyztown

And pray tell what is uniquely Thai or even cultural about taking snapshots with a few tigers and orangutans or riding on an elephant other than making money out of endangered animals denied their natural habitat?

I'd bet that the majority of Thais have never encountered a tiger or an orangutan.

And pray tell what is uniquely Thai or even cultural about taking snapshots with a few tigers and orangutans or riding on an elephant other than making money out of endangered animals denied their natural habitat?

I don't think he meant it that way. You were looking for things to do and he merely made some suggestions. Also, you did not say that you were looking for things uniquely Thai or cultural.

A few years ago I wrote a series of articles I called "Day Trippin'." If you will send me an Email at gaybutton@gmail.com I'll be happy to send them to you. They are dated, but the basic information is still valid. Those articles will answer most of your questions about things to do in the Pattaya area besides beach and bars.

Anyone who wants any of my old articles is welcome to them.

Also, as I usually do, if someone coming to Pattaya for the first time wishes to contact me, since I have a car, I'll be happy to take them around personally. Because of fuel prices these days, I do ask that they cover the cost of fuel if they wish to take me up on the offer.

Guest mauRICE
Also, you did not say that you were looking for things uniquely Thai or cultural.

No, I didn't. But he seemed to think so in saying

Oh puhleez. What is so different between Boyztown and a Pattaya zoo? One is no more or less Thai than the other. Both have exhibits on a stage or in a cage for the ogling and fondling of the paying masses. At least the exhibits in Boyztown can say no, including the ones in the big fish tank.

Guest mauRICE
That's easy. At the zoo, you can't take the animals off . . .

Gaybutton, dear, you obviously haven't been tipping the zookeepers properly. ;)

Speaking of fish tanks, do they still have that swimming show at Throb? I recall a few stunners in that tank. The one I took was cute and built like a gymnast. And he turned out to be a nice guy too. Poor guy had very dry skin from the over-chlorinated tank. I remember slapping my body lotion all over him, which he liked...that stuff cost more than his tip!

What about Royal House Massage? Is it still owned by that charming Belgian with the plastic-looking bf?

What's the latest on Crystal Boys and Wild West Boys which people were raving about a year ago?

And the Arab Quarter? Has it got a friendly, all-day festival atmosphere like the one in Nana? My friends are two Kensington princesses who love to sip tea and smoke a hubbly bubbly in Edgware Road with the goal of having their legs up in the air by Arab boys before midnight (when they turn into mincing toffs again).