TownsendPLocke

Food is going to kill you!

• Members

Ok- the calories are not surprising - anyone who thinks any of these foods are not total calorie bombs is just delusional- but the sodium counts on these are just ridiculous! Why should "french toast" have over 2,000 grams of sodium per serving?

http://consumerist.com/2014/07/30/presenting-the-9-most-calorie-filled-chain-restaurant-meals-of-2014/#more-10174650

Guest StevenDraker

... but the sodium counts on these are just ridiculous! Why should "french toast" have over 2,000 grams of sodium per serving?

TPL,

If you pay closer attention to the article, it says "2,230"

However the unit appears to be milligrams when comparing to the other items below. That's about 2,2 grams per serving (and not 2,230 grams)

Still, as you mention these items are calorie bombs! French Toast never appealed to me ... too fattening, too greasy, too rich ...

8aa130e29308abd174ad27257abf63eb.jpg

• Members

Sodium levels in packaged foods and in many restaurant foods is one reason I have cut back so much on both. I use very little salt or none at all when cooking these days so I am now a bit hyper sensitive to salts in foods. I find using alternative spices work fine for my tastes in the dishes I prepare.

From the CDC, http://www.cdc.gov/features/dssodium/

dssodium_270px.jpg

Guest CharliePS

Sodium levels in packaged foods and in many restaurant foods is one reason I have cut back so much on both.

Strangely, I have found in recent years that prepared foods seem much less salty than they used to taste, and I find find myself adding salt to them. Of course, I have always loved salt, and put it on things that other people find odd.

Guest ButtWilde

TPL,

If you pay closer attention to the article, it says "2,230"

However the unit appears to be milligrams when comparing to the other items below. That's about 2,2 grams per serving (and not 2,230 grams)

Still, as you mention these items are calorie bombs! French Toast never appealed to me ... too fattening, too greasy, too rich ...

8aa130e29308abd174ad27257abf63eb.jpg

Why do you always find the need to belittle. I believe, and you even agree, that whatever the measurement - it's too high.

JFC

• Members

Strangely, I have found in recent years that prepared foods seem much less salty than they used to taste, and I find find myself adding salt to them. Of course, I have always loved salt, and put it on things that other people find odd.

There are supposedly efforts in the industry to reduce salts in many prepared foods and while some success has been achieved, it is a slow and moderate decline. Here is a study about a sampling of various packaged and restaurant foods about that: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sodium-levels-in-packaged-and-restaurant-foods-have-not-fallen-much-study-finds/

What I have noticed is that certain products are offered with "No Salt Added" on the label, mostly tomato based products.

Another consideration, and this is no comment on your age Charlie, is that taste perception of the basic tastes diminishes with age: http://chemse.oxfordjournals.org/content/26/7/845.full

The low- or no-salt canned foods are some improvement. Still being canned, of course, that just means they taste moderately less horrible.

The one exception I can think of is prepared chicken broth. Most brands I've tried that are packaged in the newfangled cardboard boxes are notably good, and even more so in their low-salt versions.

• Members

The human body needs salt. The Romans knew this and paid their salaries in salt or equivalent. However, we modern folks, especially in the USA, have way overindulged in salt. I do not cook with salt or even have it in the house but no doubt I still get way over my quota of salt. I find that salt usage is strictly a bad habit. Now, after many years of this kind of diet, even raw tomatoes taste salty and sometimes, too salty.

Today, we do not need salt to preserve food as some did in the past. There are plenty of artificial preservatives with unpronounceable names which likely will kill us in ways other than the heart attacks, etc. that salt can bring on. Just choose your poison. :smile:

"No salt added" is just a distractor. Without a doubt there was already too much salt in that product to start. It will take a lot of compromising, education and, perhaps, legislation to make much headway in the battle against salt.

Best regards,

RA1

PS---The salt vampire did indeed rush right to the point. No foreplay intended or required. ^_^

• Members

I can't see what is belittling about correcting someone on a factual error of 100 fold.

2,230 grams would be nearly 5 pounds!

Couldn' agree more!

On the other hand, your own 10 fold error is entirely too small to warrant mention, so I won't. :poke:

• Members

Actually sea salt is far healthier but rarely used in restaurants.

Why is sea salt supposed to be healthier than regular table salt?

Once it hits your stomach, NaCl = NaCl or am I missing something?

Guest StevenDraker

Why is sea salt supposed to be healthier than regular table salt?

Because sea salt contains slightly more nutrients than table salt.

From a health point of view they're both bad for you. Don't overdose it on salt.

Guest StevenDraker

A nutritionist will tell you that eating salty foods does make you retain more water, but it also makes you crave more to eat. It gives you the feeling that you're not quite full. Hence, a person can easily gain weight by eating foods high in salt.

The first thing to ban from a healthy diet would be salty chips.

No-chips.jpg