tealady

Rio, June 2015, safety concerns

• Members

Rio 3 weeks

I just finished week 3 in Rio (i also did a weekend pop down to Porto Alegre)

As reported by other posters, crime is up; I have yet to see this. But I have my guard up, and not walking around stupid. I am paying attention to who is around me, and walk along the curbside, and avoiding dark streets, and no midnight walks along the beach.

The walk from General Osorio metro stop to my hotel at night has been fine, and I have yet to feel any danger.

I have taken Iphy's advice to heart, and have no gold chains on, no watches, no cell phone, one pocket full of small bills, (mugging money).

But I see everyone on the metro with their phones, and watches, and gold chains, and think if the locals have no fear, why are we being so guarded....

I find the Metro still safe, and the easiest way to get around town. Note the walk from MM, and 117 to the metro is easy to do, and the streets have a few more homeless on them. My hotel in Arpoador (the rocks between Copacabana and Ipanema) to be very safe…but I do take Iphy’s advice and not walk the rocks or shore at night.

on the beach no problems, never leave your bag alone, i never saw any crime just happy people in the sun.

I do like the Fazendola Restaurant at R. Jangadeiros, 14 – Ipanema, to be very nice, and a nice place to sit and watch the beach goers come and go.

After reading all the warnings about coming down. I am glad I came down. It is safe enough if you are aware, and use your big head.

• Members

I've been to Rio several times in the past 5 years. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I'm pretty well-traveled all over, do pretty well when I'm there and know quite a few people and places.

If you don't look and act like a local and you look like a gringo, all these "safety concerns" are not really for you. You'd just use the same common sense you'd use in any major city like New York, LA, or Paris. If you look pretty "white bread", or fresh off the plane, then yes, take these extra precautions.

I'm a fit, athletic biracial male in my 30s. I look Like I could be Brazilian until I open my gringo mouth. I've learned I can blend in very easily. I can probably afford to be a bit flashier (and possibly a little riskier, as time goes by) than some other posters here.

But yes, don't be dumb. Do what you'd do in the least safe areas in NYC or LA, if you're that cautious, and you'll be ok.

• Members

I've been to Rio several times in the past 5 years. I wouldn't call myself an expert but I'm pretty well-traveled all over, do pretty well when I'm there and know quite a few people and places.

If you don't look and act like a local and you look like a gringo, all these "safety concerns" are not really for you. You'd just use the same common sense you'd use in any major city like New York, LA, or Paris. If you look pretty "white bread", or fresh off the plane, then yes, take these extra precautions.

I'm a fit, athletic biracial male in my 30s. I look Like I could be Brazilian until I open my gringo mouth. I've learned I can blend in very easily. I can probably afford to be a bit flashier (and possibly a little riskier, as time goes by) than some other posters here.

But yes, don't be dumb. Do what you'd do in the least safe areas in NYC or LA, if you're that cautious, and you'll be ok.

Isn't what you wrote in lines one and three contradictory? Read them again, por favor! Your first and last points are questionable.

• Members

Isn't what you wrote in lines one and three contradictory? Read them again, por favor! Your first and last points are questionable.

There's no edit option in posting here, it seems.

My second paragraph should read:

If you look and act like a local and you don't look like a gringo, then all these "safety concerns" are not really for you. You'd just use the same common sense you'd use in any major city like New York, LA, or Paris. If you look pretty "white bread", or fresh off the plane, then yes, take these extra precautions.

• Members

There's no edit option in posting here, it seems.

Right after you've posted, the edit option may not show up on your post until you refresh the page.

The option to edit your post expires after it's been up for a certain number of hours (forget how many).

But within those constraints you can edit your posts.

EDIT: Just confirmed it still works, and still had to refresh to see edit button after posting.