ihpguy

BEWARE: My Debit Card Was Cloned Today

• Members

My debit card was cloned this morning. Partially my own fault trying to do as I was trying to do a withdrawal outside of normal business hours, about 8:25AM. I had already been to Bradesco and Banco do Brasil branches where employees were waiting to start their workdays.

I then went into a Santander branch downtown where I was the only customer. After I was in front of a machine, someone came in after me. Young and and dressed okay. He must have remotely disabled my machine. Refused to give me the 1000Reais I had requested.

This is the second time this has happened over the years. Both times they were early morning transactions were someone younger followed me into a branch.

My US bank has already blocked the transaction and a new card is on its way.

Guest tomcal

It has happened twice to me in the 14 years I have been going to Brazil. the last time was 2 years ago, and both times is when I tried to use a HSBC ATM at the airport in Sao Paulo(they are now getting out of Brazil) Since I started using Citibank exclusively for ATM withdrawals I have had no problems. I have mentioned in previous posts that Citibank is the only American bank with offices/ATM's in Brazil and for me they are conveniently located within a couple blocks of the apartment in Ipanema and the hotel I stay in Porto Alegre. They don't charge a transaction fee if you have their gold account and you get the exact exchange rate. I had them set my withdrawal limit at $2000. but the max withdrawal at the Brazilian branches is $1000.R but if you need more, just dip your card in a 2nd time and it will give you another $1,000. typical Brazil

Guest riosul77

My debit card (Canadian at that time) had been cloned/skimmed two times, once at a HSBC at GIG and once , probably Nossa Senhora, HSBC, in Copacabana. Funny, never had a problem with my Itaú card.

By the way, to new visitors arriving in Rio, GIG airport atmachines are notorious for cloning so do avoid using them if possible.

Mine was cloned once in Sao Paulo at the big mall. It was a really nice shop and "high end" merchandise. I got back to USA and tons of charges. I thought the guy in the store was just flirting with me cause he thought I was sexy but I guess he was just occupying my time while he slid the card under the counter to copy it. And, I didn't even get a release. ^_^

• Members

I went to Citibank back in the States in 2014 and that type of account wasn't offered. I think you mentioned that you have your mortgage with them. I think the only way I wouldn't be charge a transaction fee was if I opened a brokerage account with them. My bank said that I'd have a new card in about a week.

Guest loganguydc

So when I travel to countries like Brazil or others that have a real problem as you all have mentioned above. I use one of two prepaid credit cards (i.e. American Express Bluebird). They are linked to my real debit card, so when I need money I use the smartphone app, and transfer whatever I want to the prepaid card.... it is an instantanous transfer. Then I use the prepaid card to pay for stuff or withdrawal money. Both of the ones I use have no international transaction fees. That way the cloners have access to $0 unless I had some extra money on the card.

• Members

First, it took me forever to get a new debit card from my US Bank. It turns out that the Alfandega/Customs House is operating on a semi-strike basis here, in the US called the blue flu or what is called here a greve branca. My first card sent never made it to me by regular mail, now at five weeks. And my normal bank statement which was generated on the same day arrived two weeks ago. So I requested another be send via FedEx. It took 48 hours for the FedEx mailing envelope to be cleared by the Alafandega, Times here are tough and getting tougher. My new card has a smart chip embedded.

• Members

A friend sent me a youtube like when this same thing happened a couple of years back. I don't know if the theft occurred the same way or not. But it seemed to be about the same thing. When I went into the branch it was not during business hours. I was the only one in the agencia vestibule.

BIG MISTAKE #1 Only do a withdrawal during normal business hours with lots of people around. Odds that anything will happen are greatly reduced.

After I started my transaction, someone young came in to the agencia and went to the other side. I though nothing of it. I inserted the card, punched my numbers, and the machine shut down.

BIG MISTAKE #2 I left. I should have stayed with the machine and stayed there until someone else arrived.

After leaving unsuccessfully, the other person came to my machine and withdraws a very thin paper card with a magnetic strip, looks exactly like the disposable parking passes given out in US parking garages. The paper is so slim that when a card is inserted one cannot even tell it is there copying your data.

After I left, my card was used within 20 minutes and 40 minutes of my attempted transaction and receipt of declined transaction.

Going to Santos Dumont or Galeao was a withdrawal I feel much safer as there is such a large movement of people, I assume that the thief must come to the machine right after you to withdraw the copied paper card.

BASIC WARNING: Never place your card (or anything else of yours) in any hole(human or mechanical) that doesn't look right.

I'd estimate that most in the center of Rio de Janeiro Banco do Brasil and Bradesco branches have many assistants or guards in the lobby during business hours. My two thefts happened at about 6:50AM on a weekday and 8:15AM on a Sunday, both in the city. The center. The Santander branch by Meio Mundo has a guard until after 6PM. The Banco do Brasil has a guard until 4PM or so. The Bradesco between the two on Praca Pio X has one as well. A few Brasdesco and Banco do Brasil branches that I use in Copa and Ipa do as well. My fault in using Santander and HSBC outside if business hours. Ive used the machines at Santos Dumont at various off hours with no fear, There is so much movement there I have always felt the odds of anything happening are significantly reduced.

• Members

It's not just debit cards. My credit card was cloned towards the end of my recent trip to Brazil. I returned to the U.S. in early August, and about 2 weeks later was alerted by my bank that close to 20 charges had been made in Rio, after I'd left Brazil. I never used my credit cards to take money from an ATM, so I suspect that some unscrupulous waitstaff or manager at one of the restaurants I used the card at cloned the card when I paid for meals. Oh well, it seems to be a sign of the times now.

P.S., as someone mentioned receiving a new card with a microchip in it, my old credit card did not have a chip. The new one that was issued does. The chips are supposed to offer much improved security, and all credit and debit cards are supposed to be phasing them in now. In fact, it's pretty much standard to get a chip on all cards now, from what I understand.

• Members

The Horti Fruiti fruit and vegetable market chain here, owned by Grupo Pao de Acucar, will no longer except cards that do not have chips in them, Every morning at their opening all of the staff, and I mean all of the staff, managers, drivers, cashiers, stockers, baggers, sweepers all stop what they are doinf and sing the company start the day strong. A REALLY FUN MOMENT. I've taped it on my phone but don't have a clue how to post it.

• Members

P.S., as someone mentioned receiving a new card with a microchip in it, my old credit card did not have a chip. The new one that was issued does. The chips are supposed to offer much improved security, and all credit and debit cards are supposed to be phasing them in now. In fact, it's pretty much standard to get a chip on all cards now, from what I understand.

It is, and in the US sellers are being required to upgrade their equipment to support it. The stick being used by the card companies is they will not cover fraud if they don't.

It's odd though, so many of the readers but nobody knows how to use the chip reader part. I tried to stick a chip card in the special slot once so far and it didn't work. I've had better luck with tap to pay on my phone!

Also I wonder about Square/etc, it's been really convenient lately to not need cash for anything but I wonder how they'll cope with the requirement.

• Members

I have a friend visiting me from the United States.

Yesterday he went to withdraw money and his transaction was blocked. We called back to the bank in the US to find out what was going on. An unauthorized charge was made on his card in the US while he was in Brasil. He only uses this card for debit withdrawals. This was a red flag for the bank. The immediately cancelled the card.

He has only been using the card since Monday. And sometime Thursday or Friday it was cancelled.

I asked him if he could remember anything strange. He had gone into the HSBC branch on Rua de Assembleia in Centro the previous day at about 10:20AM. Just after the branch opened. No security guards. And when he inserted the card it was a bit difficult to slide in. (NOT AT ALL LIKE HIS VERY WELL USED LOVE CANAL THIS TRIP) And he pulled out the card before typing in his pin number. I wasn't with him unfortunately.

This is the same thing that has happened to me twice over the years. Once at HSBC and once at Santander. I think there was a thin paper with a magnetic strip in the slot to copy the data.

Once more, stick to well attended branches. Banco do Brasil normally has guards on duty at the entrance. Try to stick to business hours. Extra Supermarket has machines. So does Santos Dumont. Go somewhere where there are other customers in the branch. And definitely check the slots on the machines that they all look consistent.