Guest lurkerspeaks

Getting Lucky in Rio

Guest lurkerspeaks

Ok, now that I hopefully have your attention... I have been in contact with Lucky, who just returned from a trip to Brazil. He (along with his husband) visited Porto Alegre, Rio, and Sao Paolo.

With his permission, here is the majority of his email to me...

We never once felt unsafe. The lower value of the real hurts hard-working people, so I tipped the boys, the cab drivers, the maids and the bell boys more than I usually would.
Restaurants have raised prices in many cases, which just results in fewer customers, but their costs may be increasing and they have no choice.
The people on the street seemed as happy as ever, although that is hardly a scientific assessment. Boys who asked for 150 would immediately come down to 100 when 150 was rejected. I often paid 150, and, in fact, paid one guy double because he was such total stud in bed. He earned the then $52!
Porto Alegre was our favorite stop, then Rio, then Sao Paulo.

It is good to hear that Lucky is traveling and sharing his good fortunes with the world. I hope that he is able to get to Thailand some time and that Lurker will be able to report back to us on whether or not he enjoyed that trip or felt safe. Although, I do know the answer to that. Everyone that goes to Thailand feels safe. I have yet to have anyone tell me otherwise.

Lurker, thanks for the report. We all wish Lucky well in his travels and adventures. Lucky, thanks for the report. But, as you know, we have some to expect a few photos with Brazil trip reports. ^_^ Got anything more for us? ^_^

Guest lurkerspeaks

It is good to hear that Lucky is traveling and sharing his good fortunes with the world. I hope that he is able to get to Thailand some time and that Lurker will be able to report back to us on whether or not he enjoyed that trip or felt safe. Although, I do know the answer to that. Everyone that goes to Thailand feels safe. I have yet to have anyone tell me otherwise.

Lurker, thanks for the report. We all wish Lucky well in his travels and adventures. Lucky, thanks for the report. But, as you know, we have some to expect a few photos with Brazil trip reports. :smile: Got anything more for us? :smile:

Not to highjack my own thread, but Oz, has the safety issue come up much in Thailand after the bombings? I have read a few of the posts over at GayThailand, and it appears that traffic is down noticeably since the bombings happened.

The bombing was an isolated incident and I don't think it will stop tourism for the long term. I have spoken to at least 20 people there now and all feel perfectly safe. I had 2 friends from USA in Thailand when the bombing happened and they felt safe as well. Things like this can happen anywhere in the world and most people know this. Thailand does not have the reputation for violence against foreigners.

That said, I do think this Junta has hurt tourism and will make it much worst before it gets better.

• Members

One thing for sure Thailand in general terms is far safer then Brazil.

You walk 2 streets off Copacabana and no telling what will happen . And ATM withdrawals are always dangerous. This never happens in Thailand .

That said for multi trip visitors , they know what to do and not to do and for first time visitors there is plenty of information here about how to limit the chance of any bad experiences.