Gotti

Le Boy no more

• Members

The end of big gay discos finally caught on with Rio. Le Boy the huge 20 years old disco has closed,so no more 3AM blow jobs in the back room. There ain't no party, there ain't no disco, there ain't no fooling around...

I am not surprised that the place closed.

Over the past few years, there were fewer and fewer people visiting the disco. On some nights, the place was pathetically quiet, almost like a sauna gets just before it goes out of business (Rogers, Estacao et cetera) for example.

For those who have visited Rio for a while, there was another large and famous "disco" in Copacabana that drew huge crowds since the 1980s. That disco had countless male and female prostitutes at all hours of the night. The disco was called "Help" and was well known for what it was.

Here is an old article from January of 2010 that discusses the place and its closing. Clearly, the article contains a lot of morality about the disco, even though the author of the article states otherwise.

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-politics/help-closed-and-rio-moves-on/

I suspect that we will soon be reading a similar article about LeBoy and its wild history and reputation.

Too bad, or as the Brazilians would say "que pena" (what a pity).

-

• Members

People blame the closing on the economic crisis, but for what I hear is going downhill even before the crisis (I haven't been there in 2 years or more). I believe the reason is the same gay discos and bars are closing at alarming rates everywhere in the world: Grindr and similars. People don't have to pay admission and absurd prices for booze to find a hook up. Saunas, however, are not in danger, after all people go there to get what they fancy but are no able to get for free.

• Members

I'm not saying they are telling the absolute truth. I've seen businesses before that "closed for renovations" that then never reopened. But the fact that they announced it weeks in advance does give it some credence, in my view.

Good point.

How many from this forum remember the sauna named Alterosas in Sao Paulo? The sauna was a popular sauna and it had been in business more than 20 years.

One day, there was a sign on the door stating that the sauna was "closed for renovations" but that was more than eight years ago. The place never opened again.

A couple of years ago I went to the address of the sauna to see how far along the "renovations" had come. The building that housed the sauna had been torn down.

Here is a link (in Portuguese) to a Folha de Sao Paulo news article about two gay saunas that were closed in Sao Paulo, supposedly for violating "security" laws. Sauna Alterosas is one of the saunas mentioned in the article.

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/folha/cotidiano/ult95u134993.shtml

Sauna Alterosas is mentioned in the middle of the news article. According to the article, the police came to the sauna because of a "tip" from someone who said there were drugs and minors at the sauna. The tip was false because the police found no drugs or minors. Nonetheless, the sauna closed for a while then reopened only to close again, forever.

The real reason for the sauna closing is because a church was constructed directly across the street from the sauna. The church goers could not handle the fact that directly across from the church was a male house of prostitution. The sauna guys could be seen coming and going most of the day while the church services were in progress. Hence, there went the sauna.

• Members

Since it hás just became in topic there is an important cultural aspect in after-sauna activities in Rio and in São Paulo. Sauna boys in Rio are not that much aware of night-life scene as their counter parts in São Paulo. I was surprised to find out how many sauna boys had never been to Le Boy, or had just been there once or twice (there were exceptions

• Members

Continuing: exceptions of course), while in São Paulo most boys are very connected on whats going on, in São Paulo nightlife is the soul of the city, while in Rio this place is taken by the beach. There is also a considerable difference regarding drugs, a lot heavier in São Paulo. In case anyone is wondering, poppers is considered a drug in Brazil and impossible to find anywhere.

Guest lurkerspeaks

I guess one difference between my boys and Gottis might be that my boys considered themselves gay. They were younger and liked the discos. I could see where some of the "straight" boys might not be as aware of the gay clubs

• Members

Or you can try to go "The Week" club, a famous big club. It's in Rio and Sao Paulo, I saw numbers of garotos from Club 117 go there after the Sauna around midnight. Same as in Sao Paulo. It's a mix club, gays and str8 couples and maybe bi couples. :-) I might go there next week in SP

Guest KevinC

The Week is only on Saturday. You still have no clubs to go on Fridays or Sundays, not to mention any week nights. Rio‘s party life sucks big time!!