RA1

Sully, the movie

• Members

I suppose a movie has to have a human conflict, which is what this movie turned into.  I am sure a really technical movie would be boring to a non-aviation audience.  This movie has two conflicts.  One being the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) making the assertion that the aircraft could have returned to LGA or diverted to TEB.  The second being Sully's anal fixation on not wishing to be a hero and being concerned beyond professionalism in his passengers.  The latter are honorable intentions but when one has nightmares over reliving the circumstances, it could become a certifiable mental issue.  Of course, I would think and re-think what happened (were I the one flying).  I do that after every flight, good or bad.  But, I do not lose sleep over it.  Maybe I would if the media were hounding me.

The resolution of the NTSB conflict turned on Sully and Skiles (the First Officer) being persuasive about the board neglecting the human factor.  There is no training for this accident.  New aircraft, when certified, are brand new with the crew being aware of what will happen.  The FAA includes a specified delay before the crew can react to the emergency or problem.  That is the human factor.  Once the simulations included, "reaction time", the simulations failed to return to LGA or make TEB.

I have little argument with the technical aspects other than many were not included.  Most of the ones that were included were fairly accurate.

Of the technical things I observed, 3 stand out.  One, I do not know if the flaps can be extended without engine power or the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) running.  Sully started the APU (which takes time in and of itself to do), so his flaps likely worked (as depicted).  The simulations did not start the APU.  Yet, they still had flaps.  Two, the simulation pilots consistently reduced the power levers to idle when they landed on the runway.  Why, if there is no engine power?  Long standing habit?  Three, I think it is difficult to cease the rotation of a modern fan jet engine, birds or no birds.

My non-aviation friends who saw the movie with me seemed to enjoy it.  I am glad that I went.

The NTSB did not harass Sully about this as depicted but did thoroughly investigate the accident.

Best regards,

RA1     

Those liberties that the movie took with the real-life occurrence sound similar to the movie 'Apollo 13.'

More than enough drama in the real thing, but they had to gussie it up anyway. Not too satisfying, to me, compared with all the accounts of what really happened.

• Members
6 hours ago, RA1 said:

The FAA includes a specified delay before the crew can react to the emergency or problem.  That is the human factor.

Didn't know this.

One of those things that never would have occurred to me but seems obvious once it's pointed out. (In my own defence, I probably would have suspected something was amiss in my process after certified planes stated dropping out of the sky like poisoned pigeons.)

Image result for poisoned pigeon

Guest Larstrup
11 hours ago, RA1 said:

My non-aviation friends who saw the movie with me seemed to enjoy it.  I am glad that I went.

I have to wait until Friday to see this at an Imax theater further away from me than the traditional theater but that's how sold out this movie is in that experience. I hope the experience is worth the upgrade in viewing and travel.