boiworship

Nostalgia for the generals.

• Members

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/in-brazil-nostalgia-grows-for-the-dictatorship--not-the-brutality-but-the-law-and-order/2018/03/14/bc58ded2-1cdd-11e8-98f5-ceecfa8741b6_story.html?utm_term=.4e1753b087f4

a few years ago while in Madrid, I met a young Brazilian couple, both law students in Porto Alegre. They had visited Franco’s basilica and commented that Brazil needed a military junta again to whip the country into shape. I was taken aback.

• Members
7 hours ago, boiworship said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/in-brazil-nostalgia-grows-for-the-dictatorship--not-the-brutality-but-the-law-and-order/2018/03/14/bc58ded2-1cdd-11e8-98f5-ceecfa8741b6_story.html?utm_term=.4e1753b087f4

a few years ago while in Madrid, I met a young Brazilian couple, both law students in Porto Alegre. They had visited Franco’s basilica and commented that Brazil needed a military junta again to whip the country into shape. I was taken aback.

It is not only Brazil. My mother and all my old aunties are nostalgic and praying for the military to take over. If Brazil is like Argentina, it is just the older generations. Our democracies started in the 80s. As a democratic culture grows and ages, the younger generations are losing the experience of living under authoritarianism. 

02.gif

• Members

I found extremely funny when I listen to this kind of conversation about the need of dictatorships in European and NA countries coming from people who live in a fucked up place like Brazil (speaking about politics and economics), while texting and liking shit on social networks...